Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14 Months of leasing a Tesla, now time to move on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW: I use Autopilot for about 80% of my driving here in rural New Mexico. It's my favorite feature and I can't imagine ever getting a car without it (or something better). I haven't seen any phantom braking for about a year. It will brake prematurely when a vehicle crosses our path up ahead but I see this too and put slight pressure on the accelerator to keep going. It's far from perfect and I have to stay vigilant but it is a huge plus for me.

Last fall AP prevented us from hitting a small deer that darted in front of my car. By the time I saw the deer it was too close to stop in time but AP saw it earlier and did a hard brake. The experience really rattled me because I was absolutely certain we were going to hit the deer. I was going 20 mph and when I first saw the deer is was about 10 feet in front of the car.
It may be that it’s more suited to the US as that’s where it was designed for. only wildlife I’ve ever seen crossing a road is a rabbit, deer and large animals are pretty rare in my neck of the UK lol. I only ever use TACC if the road is quiet in UK which is quite rare and sort of defeats the object tbf lol

I agree with pretty much all your points except the ICE bit.
Unless they’re a high-mileage driver I cannot fathom why anyone would want to cling to a technology that performs worse, is more expensive to operate and maintain, is noisier and literally stinks. I cannot see myself ever owning an ICE again but once my M3 dies (hopefully in 10 years or more!) I doubt I’ll be buying another Tesla unless something fundamentally changes in their philosophy.
Just don’t like all the bells and whistles that are on pretty much all new cars (that are worth me looking at). I like to drive, not be driven, lane assist, adaptive cruise, *sugar* auto wipers and plastic sweaty seats are down there with Satans cock as far as I’m concerned …..I don’t want any of them🤣. But as I said I can see why others do like some of the above👍🏻
The other issue is purchase cost, I cannot justify spending £50k+ on a car personally. Mine was leased through my company, I contracted outside IR35 but my new contract means I’ll be inside IR35 (Thanks HMRC). I did ask if I could swap the lease to a personal one rather than business but I can’t so it sort of forces my hand really. Hindsight being what it is, I wish I had kept my previous BMW 630d GT but heyho. Please don’t get me wrong I’m glad I’ve tried the Tesla and yes I’m sure I’ll be in an EV when pushed later down the road. It’ll be when I do less mileage though or when someone else buys it ie. Company car.

Just don’t like all the bells and whistles that are on pretty much all new cars (that are worth me looking at). I like to drive, not be driven, lane assist, adaptive cruise, *sugar* auto wipers and plastic sweaty seats are down there with Satans cock as far as I’m concerned …..I don’t want any of them....
This.

The nanny devices on modern cars drive me to distraction.

Give me a high reving normally aspirated engine, a slick short throw manual gearbox all in a light, well balanced chassis all day long.

Reactions: Xdama and CWT3LR
It may be that it’s more suited to the US as that’s where it was designed for. only wildlife I’ve ever seen crossing a road is a rabbit, deer and large animals are pretty rare in my neck of the UK lol. I only ever use TACC if the road is quiet in UK which is quite rare and sort of defeats the object tbf lol
Surprised that deer are rare in Yorkshire. Really common now in Oxfordshire / Bucks / Northants now. Frequently see both live ones on verges and fields and, sadly, dead ones on the road.

I agree it probably works much better in the US but I think this is because most of the training so far is in the US. Therefore by driving a Tesla and using AP in the UK you are helping to improve AP for yourself and others.

One key point is that training neural nets takes a mind boggling massive amount of data. Tesla's strategy is to use their large fleet of cars with cameras and computers to be the first to acquire the massive amount of data needed to make FSD work. A year or so ago, Elon said he thinks they "over-fitted" to northern California by using too much training data from that region. This caused AP to work well there but at the detriment of working as well everywhere else. The same is probably true of the US as a whole.

Here are a couple of articles about training:

Reactions: Xdama
Let’s face it: electric cars - right now - aren’t for everybody. This is my first electric car, and I can’t imagine ever going back to an ICE car. But it suits my lifestyle and the amount of driving that I do - in and outside of working hours. Does the M3 have its weaknesses? Absolutely, but so did every other car I’ve owned.

@Xdama good on you for trying and concluding it’s not for you. Better than shouting from a distance without ever trying and seeing what it’s like.

i do not know - I use TACC and Lane assist on Motorway only, and it is god send. Not as good as some alternatives, but makes travels more bearable.

I always struggle to understand when people do not like things which make really boring and tiring drives less tiring.

in the end of the day it people's preference.

I do 20k+ a year and cannot fault EVs and will not be reverting to ICE. My next vehicle most probably will not be Tesla - there will be plenty of better and probably cheaper alternatives in 5 years time

I'm almost in 100% agreement of your likes/dislikes .. I don't actually mind the seats. I think they lack lateral support if you're driving like you stole it but I don't think that's what the Tesla's role is. It's more of a comfy GT.

I also won't use TACC/Auto lights and wipers as no matter how many times other forum users tell me theirs works perfectly, those functions in my car are not fit for purpose. Light blind people, wipers have a mind of their own and the TACC is guaranteed to try and break my neck with phantom breaking at least 3/4 times every journey. Yes I am using it correctly. It's crap. I wouldn't even pay £7.99 for enhanced auto pilot.

I'm not ruling out going back to ICE. Although the M3is ideal for what we use the car for, I think I'd like something a little more interesting for longer journeys or a Sunday drive. I would consider a Taycan but they are still v. expensive, I can't charge from home and the public charging network is like TACC, not fit for purpose.

Maybe a 3/4 year old 911 or F-Type SVR.

I think:

Congestion at public chargers and chaotic rollout of chargers and arrogance of not bothering to fix broken ones may mean people switch to Hybrids in droves - particularly if hybrid battery size increases a bit (as battery price falls that may be cost effective). The Toyota laggards may be right after all ...

or

[Takeup of EV will be enormous and] Price of 2nd hand ICE will fall like a stone as no one will want them, and everyone buying an ICE now will have hideous final value, along with Carbon Tax / Fuel Price Escalator yanking up price of fuel

phantom breaking ... at least 3/4 times every journey

Always curious when I see these reports. I hardly ever have phantom braking (I've had several cars) ... I wonder if there is any calibration issue or some other reason that some people have it far more than others. I almost-never wash my car FWIW ...

Cheers Big D, believe me it’s not a decision taken lightly lol. Cost of cancelling the lease is around £5k but circumstances beyond my control have pushed me that way. I just thought I’d post my like / dislikes before making the change.
The other thing that’s helped with the decision is the rollout of SUC network to other makes. I don’t think the network is ready for that yet due to lack of infrastructure in UK plus the charging leads being made specifically for Tesla. I can see NOT being able to charge because a.n.other make is parked / using 2 bays due to charge port location on their car. Problem is the Nav will still show chargers available, which they won’t be.
I’ll see what else comes out over the next few years but I really do dislike the push to self driving personally. Might be with being a bit of a control freak but that comes with the job I do working on HV equipment lol.

Reactions: Big_D and Avalyn
I think:

Congestion at public chargers and chaotic rollout of chargers and arrogance of not bothering to fix broken ones may mean people switch to Hybrids in droves - particularly if hybrid battery size increases a bit (as battery price falls that may be cost effective). The Toyota laggards may be right after all ...

or

[Takeup of EV will be enormous and] Price of 2nd hand ICE will fall like a stone as no one will want them, and everyone buying an ICE now will have hideous final value, along with Carbon Tax / Fuel Price Escalator yanking up price of fuel

Always curious when I see these reports. I hardly ever have phantom braking (I've had several cars) ... I wonder if there is any calibration issue or some other reason that some people have it far more than others. I almost-never wash my car FWIW ...

I've no idea if there is a calibration issue. I guess as I'm up in Scotland I've primarily tried to use TACC on dual carriageways with bends/parking bays for heavy good vehicles on the LHS rather than straight 3 lane motorways. It's possible that TACC may be 'better' for these conditions.

All I know is it doesn't work for me, and it's a way more stressful experience using it than just maintaining the speed/distance myself. It's really poor compared to my last few cars that had adaptive cruise. I only do 2-3 long journeys a year though so it's not really important for me.

My car usage is primarily short journeys across town or a drive down to see my Dad which is 60 miles on a mix of dual, B-road, town ..

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Always curious when I see these reports. I hardly ever have phantom braking (I've had several cars) ... I wonder if there is any calibration issue or some other reason that some people have it far more than others.
It's a puzzle, I autopilot for hours on end without issue. My theory is that these reports are from people using it on roads other than motorways, notice the poster shows their location as Aberdeen which is a long way from any motorway.

Reactions: Avalyn
Cheers Big D, believe me it’s not a decision taken lightly lol. Cost of cancelling the lease is around £5k but circumstances beyond my control have pushed me that way. I just thought I’d post my like / dislikes before making the change.
The other thing that’s helped with the decision is the rollout of SUC network to other makes. I don’t think the network is ready for that yet due to lack of infrastructure in UK plus the charging leads being made specifically for Tesla. I can see NOT being able to charge because a.n.other make is parked / using 2 bays due to charge port location on their car. Problem is the Nav will still show chargers available, which they won’t be.
I’ll see what else comes out over the next few years but I really do dislike the push to self driving personally. Might be with being a bit of a control freak but that comes with the job I do working on HV equipment lol.
Given it's been nearly a year so far and the near silence in this forum of issues like this it seems to not be a real problem. I would suggest you are inventing things to justify your decision. It sounds like for whatever insanity you like SUVs and buttons, good luck to you in the future.

My theory is that these reports are from people using it on roads other than motorways

As a routine I only use it on dual carriageway, but out of curiosity I do use it on a variety of A road, and also the B-Road from me to town (that, of course, is same every time, so if it succeeds its unlikely to have a problem on a repeat test, so poor-sample-size). On such tests I'm, assuming that something weird will happen, so more attention than normal ... but other than some obvious situations such as a "white van" parked 3/4rs on the pavement or approaching a tight bend faster than I am comfortable with (will it brake? if so HOW LATE? :) ) I can't remember the last time I had to take over unexpectedly.

So, basically, personally speaking I very rarely have a problem - either on dual carriageway or on an A-Road test.

Thus I conclude there must be some difference between me/us and folk that have frequent problems.