Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

14 Months of leasing a Tesla, now time to move on.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only used cruise when traffic is flowing, never if traffic is heavy. Most modern cars under 10yr old now have autonomous emergency braking so it’s an issue that’s been made up to sell a gizmo, based on a problem that doesn’t necessitate it imo.
Having said that it seems the post has become solely about TACC which it isn’t. It’s about a number if things that I like / dislike on the car🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm not talking about emergency braking, that's what happens in an emergency. I'm talking about normal driving home from work. Adaptive Cruise Control is absolutely amazing. In stop and go traffic, there is nothing better.

And sure, there are other things that aren't perfect with the car, just like any other car.
I don't have issues with my wipers. For me they magically work when I want them to.
Seats, I got used to them, I don't even think about them anymore. But yea they were hot to begin with.
I do drive with the windows down and I don't hear any rattling.

Physical Controls. As someone who had to drive a LOT of rentals, the variety of "how lousy of a user interface can I create" interfaces were just infuriating. The Tesla does take a little getting used to, but in my book, most of the interface is in the right place at the right time for me. And the variety of audio sources is really nice. And the simple fact that I can expect that new audio sources may be added is just far beyond any other vehicle out there.
Being able to bring up the radar on a large screen is awesome (rain-alarm.com is a shortcut for me)

Maybe it works better with your traffic stateside, but I don't find it works particularly well here in our UK traffic. I switch it off.

And that's your option. And a lot of people do that.

But then again, a lot of those people are the ones who complain about it. Once you get to know it, it's an awesome friend.

And sure, if you are in an area where "traffic" means that a 100 kph road slows down 95 kph and there's 50m between all the cars, then it may not be for you.

While I haven't done it, I'd dare say that a trip to London in the morning, TACC would be highly useful.

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR

But then again, a lot of those people are the ones who complain about it. Once you get to know it, it's an awesome friend.

And sure, if you are in an area where "traffic" means that a 100 kph road slows down 95 kph and there's 50m between all the cars, then it may not be for you.

While I haven't done it, I'd dare say that a trip to London in the morning, TACC would be highly useful.
As I already said, I visit cities very little, never liked them from being a kid. I don’t drive that often in commuter traffic nor rush time either😁, in that respect I consider myself very fortunate. My commute to work is a 90mile journey once every 2 weeks now and around mid afternoon on those occasions. Cities in UK are gradually becoming anti private transport unless it’s a bicycle anyway, most of Leeds (my nearest city) is having more roads pedestrianised or bus only every day. If I did have the misfortune to have to go there every day then I’d take the bus now.
TACC and FSD are just a way of making a train …..for the road, if I want to get on a train I’ll go buy a ticket and get on one. Radical I know, as is wanting to actually drive rather than be driven. I can (as I keep saying) understand why commuter type driving would make someone want self driving, I really can. It’s just not welcome at my party/bbq, much like vegans wouldn’t be😈 (apologies any vegans but I can’t be bothered catering for you)

Reactions: CWT3LR and Whyone
I'm not talking about emergency braking, that's what happens in an emergency. I'm talking about normal driving home from work. Adaptive Cruise Control is absolutely amazing. In stop and go traffic, there is nothing better.

And sure, there are other things that aren't perfect with the car, just like any other car.
I don't have issues with my wipers. For me they magically work when I want them to.
Seats, I got used to them, I don't even think about them anymore. But yea they were hot to begin with.
I do drive with the windows down and I don't hear any rattling.

Physical Controls. As someone who had to drive a LOT of rentals, the variety of "how lousy of a user interface can I create" interfaces were just infuriating. The Tesla does take a little getting used to, but in my book, most of the interface is in the right place at the right time for me. And the variety of audio sources is really nice. And the simple fact that I can expect that new audio sources may be added is just far beyond any other vehicle out there.
Being able to bring up the radar on a large screen is awesome (rain-alarm.com is a shortcut for me)
On my commute, with a few sections of stop/go, TACC is unusable. Either the gap it leaves is too large and a car pops into it, or it accelerates then brakes and makes me look like a complete Richard. I have to switch it off. Much easier and smoother to modulate by my own right foot, than whichever apprentice programmed the algorithm.

Reactions: Sean. and Xdama

Hahaha! You have no idea about UK traffic!

That does seem to match with your other statement

And no, I haven't driven the wrong side of the road version;) of it. It's indeed possible that you have something different than what we do in the states.
And yet feel able to preach your Tesla faith to us, how we use our cars wrong, how every other car you have ever rented is way worse than Tesla.

Thanks for your input. It is truly valued.

• Funny
Reactions: Xdama
Either the gap it leaves is too large and a car pops into it,
And that sums it up perfectly for UK. You leave a TACC (or adaptive CC) acceptable gap & some prat pulls into it causing Tacc to panic. Unfortunately plebian fecktards have been allowed to breed in UK and spawned even more plebian fecktards, then just to screw with everyone else, they’ve been allowed to drive🤦🏼‍♂️

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
On my commute, with a few sections of stop/go, TACC is unusable. Either the gap it leaves is too large and a car pops into it, or it accelerates then brakes and makes me look like a complete Richard. I have to switch it off. Much easier and smoother to modulate by my own right foot, than whichever apprentice programmed the algorithm.

My translation of this is that indeed, some traffic is intense and follow 1 is often too far. Turning to Mad Max may help, but honestly, less than follow 1 is guaranteeing an accident. Read back a few years in the forums and you'll see the same complaints from LA drivers and Tesla's fixes to make them happier. (i.e. Mad Max)

If you have the situation where a large gap occurs in front of you, then the speed is set too low and allows the gap to create.

There have been a number of times that I've been in heavy traffic and let FSD take the car and then see a situation where FSD saved me from an accident. Hasn't caused me one yet.

My translation of this is that indeed, some traffic is intense and follow 1 is often too far. Turning to Mad Max may help, but honestly, less than follow 1 is guaranteeing an accident. Read back a few years in the forums and you'll see the same complaints from LA drivers and Tesla's fixes to make them happier. (i.e. Mad Max)

If you have the situation where a large gap occurs in front of you, then the speed is set too low and allows the gap to create.

There have been a number of times that I've been in heavy traffic and let FSD take the car and then see a situation where FSD saved me from an accident. Hasn't caused me one yet.
Thanks again for your take on how British traffic and attitudes work.

• Funny
Reactions: Xdama
Most modern cars under 10yr old now have autonomous emergency braking so it’s an issue that’s been made up to sell a gizmo

I thought AEB is, by design, intended to only operate when collision is inevitable, to reduce the impact (i.e. not to operate at other times in order to avoid unnecessary emergency braking). Rest of the time AEB provides an alert buzzer.

I thought AEB is, by design, intended to only operate when collision is inevitable, to reduce the impact (i.e. not to operate at other times in order to avoid unnecessary emergency braking). Rest of the time AEB provides an alert buzzer.
maybe it is, maybe I misunderstood it’s purpose but never having been in a position of needing automated braking I couldn’t say for sure