Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15 MS 85D hv battery failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
'15 85D, 80k miles, rebuilt title, send the car to service center for hv safety check past week, passed their test and recert to be on supercharge. Gent was explaining note says there's SOC seems to show excessive charge imbalance, advice charge to 90 percent and see if in a month the imbalance would restore itself, otherwise may need to change hv battery. During the test, they said noticed some rust on the fuse cover, said future water penetration could potentially damage the pack, replaced that cover and pyro fuse. Picked up Thurs, Fri night, got a max charge level alert, still drivable, drove home, car parked on driveway overnight, Sat morning turned on the car, no alert, everything seems back to normal, drove to gym, ran errands, all fine. Went to grocery shopping, came out greeted with bunch of bms errors, kicking myself for not taking more pics, only have one attached

Service center said remote log says some cell overcharged, and seems usual approach - replace replace replace.. I know it's 10-20k with them though still waiting for their estimate, also contacted a wonderful ex-tesla technician who runs his own garage now and was referred about Recell, so understand that route for replacement.

Wondering if the pros/nerd gods here could share more lights maybe... much appreciated

now my pettiness - car has free data, and sc01... the timing, and that service center is the only party that dropped the battery, you can imagine all kinds of conspiracies running thru my mind..

Attachments

• IMG_6110.jpg
    IMG_6110.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 13
head over to fb u029/u018 group
lots of info there
this is the common issue with aging cells
u018 means one or more bricks lost more CAC then others so either need to remove 2 modules n turn it into 70kwh pack or get new one
no way around this one

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
head over to fb u029/u018 group
lots of info there
this is the common issue with aging cells
u018 means one or more bricks lost more CAC then others so either need to remove 2 modules n turn it into 70kwh pack or get new one
no way around this one
Thank you so much for the insights Brain.. sorry consider me totally illiterate, so options are 1) find a tech who has the tooling, skills offering service to locate and remove the 2 faulty modules; 2) replace whole pack; correct?

Reactions: brainhouston
@jack.l

Your solution will likely depend on what you want to do with your car and your personal finances. My advice, and I'm just one person, is based on personally talking with hundreds of folks and my own experience. I don't profess to be the expert - (1) If you love the car and want to keep it less than 3 years, either get a remanufactured pack replacement or fix of your current pack for $7k-$15k USD, (2) if you love your car and want to keep it for more than 3 years then get new pack from Tesla for $20k, (3) If you're done with Tesla and just want to walk away, sell your car for $7k-10k with known issues. (4) If you are mechanically inclined and comfortable/safe around dangerous high voltage, then you can swap packs or attempt to repair your existing pack. CAUTION these packs are lethal if not managed safely.

Last edited:
Reactions: danielk04
@jack.l

$10k USD - That seems to be the current market rate for an 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack that gives the owner a rated range of around 240 miles. Just the pack. Any applicable labor, taxes, and warranty (explained below) are extra.

$10k includes Tesla, 3rd party professionals and salvage yards. Tesla bundles in a 4 year/50k mile warranty while others offer warranties at an extra cost. Each year of warranty seems to range from $1250-$1500/year. e.g. Tesla's basic $15k=$10k pack + (4) x $1250 warranty. Of course, Tesla does not break things down like this, but based on 3rd party warranty fees, a reasonable comparison.

So your decision around that magic $10k number for a 85 kWh used/reman/salvage replacement pack revolves around warranty and convenience of location/time.

Lastly, Tesla is the only one providing new (not reman) replacement packs. $18k base plus tax, labor, etc for around $21k total. Comes with 4yr/50k mile warranty.

Last edited:
Reactions: danielk04
@jack.l

In my case, I paid $27k for my 2012 P85 in Oct 2022 from the original owner. I've since spent more than that for both new (not reman) pack and RDU, PTC heater and MCU2 upgrade. Given my current transportation needs and financial situation, keeping my #2446 on the road is a hobby/priority. Costing over $100k to the original owner, it still is in excellent shape in and out, has free unlimited supercharging and connectivity for life, etc, etc.

It's the first car, since graduating college 40 years ago that I just make excuses to drive.

And yes, I fully realize, given the current market, that there's no way I will be able to recoup my repair costs if I were to total the car or try to sell.

Lastly, my mission to keep her on the road has come to fruition from, oddly, myriad Tesla employees. When I show them #2446 they marvel with complimentary comments like "this is how they used to make them, wow a sunroof, look how big that frunk is, and it's like a time capsule."

Reactions: jack.l
Thank you so much for the insights Brain.. sorry consider me totally illiterate, so options are 1) find a tech who has the tooling, skills offering service to locate and remove the 2 faulty modules; 2) replace whole pack; correct?
yes
from my biased DIY perspective, i always suggest getting used one n selling ur modules (ppl use it for solar or EV conversions)
this would give u best bang for ur buck but u do have to invest some time n labor or find a place that can swap it for u

Reactions: NV Ray
wow.. thank you @brainhouston @NV Ray so much for the outpouring of support and candid advices, sharing.. I really wish more tesla service centers fill with staff like you guys who not only knowledgeable but above all cares about commoner nobodies like me.. the service center i went for the recert called said still waiting for search match before able to provide a quote.. @brainhouston you in Houston TX? want to take on another project ;)😜..

Reactions: brainhouston
wow.. thank you @brainhouston @NV Ray so much for the outpouring of support and candid advices, sharing.. I really wish more tesla service centers fill with staff like you guys who not only knowledgeable but above all cares about commoner nobodies like me.. the service center i went for the recert called said still waiting for search match before able to provide a quote.. @brainhouston you in Houston TX? want to take on another project ;)😜..
I'm in a rainy pnw 😂
But I'll probably be looking at battery swap project in the future
Might pick up a parts car at some point...