Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

15 P90D - Current stats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gents,

Primarily looking at M3Ps, however there's a 15 P90D with 35K that's on my radar. I'm having trouble ascertaining exactly where it sits now and where it started with regard to range, speed, and power.

Can somebody help me get up to speed here? Thanks all!

-Joe

Gents,

Primarily looking at M3Ps, however there's a 15 P90D with 35K that's on my radar. I'm having trouble ascertaining exactly where it sits now and where it started with regard to range, speed, and power.

Can somebody help me get up to speed here? Thanks all!

-Joe
What's your budget and what are the most important features you want? Based on your statement about looking at an M3P and now a S90D, clearly one major criteria is performance.

If we know your budget we can make some suggestions.

What's your budget and what are the most important features you want? Based on your statement about looking at an M3P and now a S90D, clearly one major criteria is performance.

If we know your budget we can make some suggestions.

Thanks for the response!

For the sake of this conversation, lets say $50K. Performance, ease, and reliability are my priorities. The car will be an all-weather daily driver here in the Philadelphia area, and while my driving is typically <50mi/day, range would be a big element of "ease."

Both are awesome cars and have great performance, with the M3P having the edge in both speed and handling compared to a 90D (though a P90D is faster). One of the major distinguishing factors between the two is size. I've found the Model S to be a little more spacious in the backseat for family daily driving than the 3. In my opinion the back seat of the 3 is ironically more suitable for adults than kids, due to the need for insanely bulky car seats for kids. The hatchback of the S makes for very convenient access and cavernous storage, so it clearly wins in cargo capacity, though the trunk of the 3 is quite spacious and perfectly adequate for most uses.

If you'll just have adults in the backseat occasionally and don't have kids, I might actually recommend the Model 3 to you (some Model 3-owning friends of mine with kids who find the backseat perfectly fine might argue this point with me). The overall technology in terms of the touchscreen computer and autopilot technology on a new M3P will be superior to a 2015-2016 Model S. The Model S is also quite a big car and the Model 3 might be easier to drive and park on urban streets. The handling is certainly a little more nimble. I just drove a M3P this past weekend and was pretty impressed with its agility compared to my Model S P85D, even though the crazy acceleration is about the same.

• Informative
Reactions: BulldogsRus
Edit: just saw it was a P90D which is very fast, doesn't change my comments about superior handling in the M3P. However, $35K is awfully low for a P90D, so I'd be careful to investigate whether its been in a major accident or had any major repairs, or maybe has worse-than expected battery degradation.

Edit to the edit: Just saw it was probably 35k miles, not dollars... I'm a little encephalopathic today

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: BulldogsRus
Edit: just saw it was a P90D which is very fast, doesn't change my comments about superior handling in the M3P. However, $35K is awfully low for a P90D, so I'd be careful to investigate whether its been in a major accident or had any major repairs, or maybe has worse-than expected battery degradation.
That's true, I would certainly check it out thoroughly. Although the pre-refresh cars tend to go for a bit less as people want the current front fascia. If it's the non-ludicrous P then it would be about 0.2 seconds quicker to 60 than the M3P. As mentioned trunk space is a major difference, also you can fit larger things in the MS given it's a hatchback style trunk.

Thanks for the response!

For the sake of this conversation, lets say $50K. Performance, ease, and reliability are my priorities. The car will be an all-weather daily driver here in the Philadelphia area, and while my driving is typically <50mi/day, range would be a big element of "ease."
There aren't too many performance Model S cars near you in that price range - https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

There is one P85D - I checked the following states - Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Maryland, Massachusetts, Delaware, Virginia

I would get one only from Tesla that has a warranty. Depending on the mileage and year, you will either get 2 years/25K miles or 4 years/50K miles full coverage warranty.

The P85D or if you can stretch your budget a bit (or perhaps look in other states that you may be willing to travel to pick up the car), will give you all the performance and range you need. With a warranty from Tesla, you will not have to worry too much about it except if you have a major issue and Service takes longer than you can wait to fix it. I've been lucky in my neck of the woods and service has not been an issue yet.

Reactions: EV-CPO
Both are awesome cars and have great performance, with the M3P having the edge in both speed and handling compared to a 90D (though a P90D is faster). One of the major distinguishing factors between the two is size. I've found the Model S to be a little more spacious in the backseat for family daily driving than the 3. In my opinion the back seat of the 3 is ironically more suitable for adults than kids, due to the need for insanely bulky car seats for kids. The hatchback of the S makes for very convenient access and cavernous storage, so it clearly wins in cargo capacity, though the trunk of the 3 is quite spacious and perfectly adequate for most uses.

If you'll just have adults in the backseat occasionally and don't have kids, I might actually recommend the Model 3 to you (some Model 3-owning friends of mine with kids who find the backseat perfectly fine might argue this point with me). The overall technology in terms of the touchscreen computer and autopilot technology on a new M3P will be superior to a 2015-2016 Model S. The Model S is also quite a big car and the Model 3 might be easier to drive and park on urban streets. The handling is certainly a little more nimble. I just drove a M3P this past weekend and was pretty impressed with its agility compared to my Model S P85D, even though the crazy acceleration is about the same.
Also, option for sunroof and heated wheel as wheel.

I was faced with the same dilemma and budget. I went for a 2015 P85DL from Tesla for $50k. I wanted a tan interior, heated steering wheel, gauge cluster and more buttons/levers. I also preferred the uniqueness of the S and the M3 door handles were a little annoying to me. I did not think I'd care about the + suspension, but it's great and I've used the adjustable height to get into a few driveways that I wouldn't have been able to get into otherwise.

I gave up the MCU2 and FSD, but FSD did not really appeal to me much (AP1 is just fine for me). I do wish I had an MCU2 for the speed, but it's not the end of the world. I also saved a few bucks as an M3P would have been around $56k.

In the end, the M3 is a technically superior car (FSD, MCU2, better battery technology, and a full 4 year warranty) but it was not what I wanted. I've been happy with my S so far, though I'm still in the honeymoon stage!

Reactions: SilverGS