Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

150 - 200KW Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
True, but the V3s have a 1MW cabinet for 4x 250kW chargers, so they happen to have the same limit. If some future model could take 300kW for example, you'll hit the limit again like the V2s do.

The 1MW V3 cabinet seems to be theoretical only (based on my admittedly anecdotal observations). For instance, on my way back through Kettleman City, I rolled in with about 15% SOC and it was 90+ degrees outside. The V3 charger I plugged into didn't hit more than 133KW, and quickly tapered down to 90KW after a M3 plugged in two spots away. About half of the V3 stalls were taken. So, I tried moving over to a V2 where the adjacent paired stall was empty and got 120KW+. It this case, it was actually faster to charge on V2, and it saved about 5-10 minutes while waiting for the SOC to get up to about 70% before heading out.

• Informative
Reactions: serendipitous
The 1MW V3 cabinet seems to be theoretical only (based on my admittedly anecdotal observations). For instance, on my way back through Kettleman City, I rolled in with about 15% SOC and it was 90+ degrees outside. The V3 charger I plugged into didn't hit more than 133KW, and quickly tapered down to 90KW after a M3 plugged in two spots away. About half of the V3 stalls were taken. So, I tried moving over to a V2 where the adjacent paired stall was empty and got 120KW+. It this case, it was actually faster to charge on V2, and it saved about 5-10 minutes while waiting for the SOC to get up to about 70% before heading out.
On a hot day, and when the car and/or cabinet is in direct sunlight, I double the nav's predicted charging time. The tapper in those conditions is wickedly quick...

I was amazed to peak out at 189kw at the Williams CA V3 supercharger in my 2018 Model S 100D MCU2 (+FSD computer upgrade) in early September this year. At that time my car was on 2020.36
931DBFAB-6E36-404A-8F39-583C1D4F1838.jpeg

Reactions: Electric700