Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

150 - 200KW Charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious if anyone with a new(ish) 100D/Long Range MS has seen the promised 150KW on V2 or 200KW on V3 supercharging (or anything above 150kw)? I know there is a thread for 2017 MS owners, but I have not seen anything for newer cars. I've got a mid-2018 100D and the highest I've seen on V2 is 130KW with the latest software and about 20% state of charge with a cool outside temperature. So, that leads me to believe that I wouldn't get much more (if anything) on V3. I know others have seen as high as ~140KW, but I haven't seen anything at or above 150KW.

Quick update. At Woodland Hills V2 supercharger this past weekend we started with 83 miles of range (~25% SOC) and hit a high of 141KW. Within 11 minutes it added 87 miles of range (~51% SOC) and had tapered down to 104KW.
IMG_8811.jpg

Just curious if anyone with a new(ish) 100D/Long Range MS has seen the promised 150KW on V2 or 200KW on V3 supercharging (or anything above 150kw)? I know there is a thread for 2017 MS owners, but I have not seen anything for newer cars. I've got a mid-2018 100D and the highest I've seen on V2 is 130KW with the latest software and about 20% state of charge with a cool outside temperature. So, that leads me to believe that I wouldn't get much more (if anything) on V3. I know others have seen as high as ~140KW, but I haven't seen anything at or above 150KW.
The only thing I will add about this topic is to not mistakenly think that even if you do get a charge rate of 150kW or above, then it will only occur for a short period of time during optimal conditions. Lots of variables to consider. Many people seem to think that they are going to get that charge rate for the whole time they are connected. So in reality, while it does reduce the charge time somewhat, it isn't that big of a deal and Tesla promotes.

Here is a screen shot from my 2017 S100D charging at the Fairview Mall supercharger in Toronto. The SC was opened this spring with V2 chargers. The Tesla had about 49,500 km in early August when the picture was taken. The car is 34% SOC with a charge rate of 138 kW. I had come back from a trip and wanted to check charging speed as the previous SC session in Owen Sound was delivering less than100 kW the day before. I only charged for a few minutes as I live in Toronto and have an HPWC capable of 11.5 kW in the garage.

Attachments

• 20190809_121800 Charging Screen.jpg
    20190809_121800 Charging Screen.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 96
Finally got to try the V3 supercharger this weekend at Hawthorne, CA with my Raven Model S LR Perf. Arrived with 20% SOC, after driving for about 2.5 hours. Ramped up to max rate of 175kw at 31%soc for a few moments and then started tapering down to 123kw at 50% soc when I left the Supercharger. A bit disappointed didn’t get closer to the 200kw rate. Still happy with the speed, charged for 12 minutes which added 103 miles.

I took my new Raven to the Burbank V2 at 17% SoC during its first week, got over 140kW max rate and added 94 miles in the first 12 minutes. So it looks like the V3 will get you an extra 10 miles in the same amount of time if you arrive at ~20% SoC. I was at only 95kW at 50% SoC but the car was still adding 6 miles/minute vs. 8 miles/minute at the max rate. My old 90D never charged faster than 5 miles/minute.

I took my new Raven to the Burbank V2 at 17% SoC during its first week, got over 140kW max rate and added 94 miles in the first 12 minutes. So it looks like the V3 will get you an extra 10 miles in the same amount of time if you arrive at ~20% SoC. I was at only 95kW at 50% SoC but the car was still adding 6 miles/minute vs. 8 miles/minute at the max rate. My old 90D never charged faster than 5 miles/minute.

My 2018 SP100DL........started @ 29% SOC.....
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0102.JPG

Obviously V2.

Reactions: E Dizzle
I cant find this answer.
When you plug into a super charger, how do u know what version it is?

I fought with Tesla for months after v9 was installed in my car. They blamed super charger. They told me every Super charger had same software. They said the charge rate was in the car, not the charger. We are fighting Tesla now for throttling back our charge rate on our antiques. I talked to member of charger team, because my car would not charge except at OLD chargers. He said it was sw in super chargers, I said NO, it happened the day v9 was installed. They eventually fixed it, took 6 months. This fight has now gone into the brand new cars and new super chargers.

Tesla told me there were too many variables. I said yes, temp, state of charge in car, etc. BUT, I have a log of every super charge in the USA for 3 yrs. I can prove my point on paper. I started out at 125 to 130 everytime. Now I'm lucky to start at 75 to 80 max. Its added 2 hours to my trip to DC. I would die for that rate again.
Good luck.

Are you following what had been done to the 85 and below batteries?

A boost in charging speed now seems great and likely boosts sales, but what happens in another 2 years when the throttling of the old cars gets rolled out to soon to become older cars?

Or are you going to claim the 100 pack is substantially enough different from an 85?

How? Thought it was the same 18650 cells.
Not arguing, please educate me.
They are the same type of 18650 cells, but they redesigned almost everything else inside it about how many cells per brick, how they are arranged, how the cooling liquid pipes are routed, the connector shapes, etc. It was extensively redesigned inside to get better cooling, which is why they are able to support so much better charging rates than any of the previous battery types that were using the 18650 cells. The semi-expert wk057 here on this forum took his apart to document what the changes were:

Pics/Info: Inside the Tesla 100 kWh Battery Pack

Pics and Info: Inside the Tesla 100kWh Battery Pack | wk057's SkieNET

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan