Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

~$17 a month for Digital Rplate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Their pricing history makes no sense whatsoever. They constantly fluctuate between spiking the price and cutting the price. I remember when it was $349 for the regular ("Essential" back then) and $499 for the Pro. And ~$700 for the Pro (the only model when it launched) in 2018.

$899 and $999 is just insane.
Unless you just have gobs of funny money and don't care, I can't see anyone with a brain spending $1,000 on a digital license plate replacement. It just doesn't make ANY sense. For the discount price of ~$200 it was able to justify it but they really need to bring the price down and keep it there for the average bear to be able to afford it.

The CA license plate wrap is just under $100 for the front of my vehicle and that makes sense to me because a better mount that doesn't require drilling holes or putting on mega 3M adhesive costs about that much. I'll consider paying for one after I get my first fix-it ticket from the long-arm. So $200 for a fancy digital rear plate along with their yearly subscription cost makes sense.

I get the "cool" concept. But why does a license plate need to have LTE connectivity? And why does it need a subscription? Anyone remember Juicero?

It's used for a bunch of things (most of which nobody asked for), including initial activation, customizing the plate, reporting to the cloud if the plate is removed or car is stolen, annual DMV registration tag updates, and more like their vehicle locator feature. The latter I most definitely don't need since Tesla is already tracking it. There's no way to opt out and pay less (or none). Their subscription is optional (they say) but then you can't update it so in a way -- it is required.

I could care less about the connectivity features. Activation and updates to the plate (annual registration tag, customizations) can technically all be done via Bluetooth and the Internet on your phone via its app. You connect to the plate via Bluetooth and so everything can be done via that connection.

Make it $200 with no annual fee (and get rid of the embedded connectivity) and they will sell a lot more of these.

Reactions: brkaus
Current plans on website are $900 which includes year of subscription or $20 per mo for 48 months. Either way you’re paying $900.

Do you have to pay after the $900. Some things for sure won’t work. I don’t know how you update the annual sticker without a subscription. Make you could subscribe one month each year to update.

Best would be call and ask them. They changes the terms on this product pretty often and even the their website the faq are pretty scarce.

Current plans on website are $900 which includes year of subscription or $20 per mo for 48 months. Either way you’re paying $900.

Do you have to pay after the $900. Some things for sure won’t work. I don’t know how you update the annual sticker without a subscription. Make you could subscribe one month each year to update.

Best would be call and ask them. They changes the terms on this product pretty often and even the their website the faq are pretty scarce.

The pinkribbon code brings the monthly down to $14/month which I wouldn't really miss.

none of yall need to buy the PRO plate. it adds telematics which you already have on the tesla. i had the pro plate for 3 years because i had it on a non tesla, and that was the only plate they had.

i sold my 3/2020 tesla and got a 2/2022 tesla and got the non pro plate. non pro plate is better because its self contained and no need to run a circuit to power it.

being a long time customer (actually since it was in business) they gave me a code so i only paid 400 for the non pro plate which is all you need. the yearly subscription is included. next year the service is 30 bux or something maybe 50 i forget, but its an annual fee.

if you do have the pro plate you have to pay the monthly subscription even after 24 months. if you chose to pay for the plate in instalments, once you pay it off you still have to pay the service.

• Funny
Reactions: Adam3 and BMWM3Man
lol neither do I. But I've definitely been stopped by a Glendale cop for nothing but a plate while minding my business in a non-limo tinted car. He even busted an illegal U to get me. No other citation. Just a fix-it. I guess he hadn't met his quota yet.

Reactions: jeremymc7
My contract for the older Rplate Essential at $12.95 a month finally ended. $6.95 a month service fee to keep LTE access to change the color, bottom text, and automatic registration update. When I ordered it, the data subscription was $3.99. Thought I'd share as that seems wild with none of the telemetry they offer.

none of yall need to buy the PRO plate. it adds telematics which you already have on the tesla. i had the pro plate for 3 years because i had it on a non tesla, and that was the only plate they had.

i sold my 3/2020 tesla and got a 2/2022 tesla and got the non pro plate. non pro plate is better because its self contained and no need to run a circuit to power it.

being a long time customer (actually since it was in business) they gave me a code so i only paid 400 for the non pro plate which is all you need. the yearly subscription is included. next year the service is 30 bux or something maybe 50 i forget, but its an annual fee.

if you do have the pro plate you have to pay the monthly subscription even after 24 months. if you chose to pay for the plate in instalments, once you pay it off you still have to pay the service.
I know your post is a little old, but where are you getting those numbers?? Their site says the battery plate is $19.95 PER MONTH for 48 months ($957 total for 4 years) or $215 per year for 4 years ($860 for 4 years). And the site calls that a 'subscription', not installments towards a total. That keeps on going for as long as you have the plate. $17-$20 per month for the thing is absolutely insane. I wouldn't play that if you could watch movies on the thing.

Reactions: Shiro