Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

18 Months: I must be doing something wrong

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CharleyBC

Jun 28, 2019
Talent, OR
A year and a half ago today, Wattney, our Model 3, came into our lives. Today she is just a few miles short of 30,000. And nothing has gone wrong. The car has never been in for any warranty service. Okay, I lie a little. One time an OTA update got stuck, and they unstuck it for me remotely. But that's it.

I see all the stories of people taking their Model 3s in for this or that warranty repair. And we all get to read the stories of how delighted or disappointed they are with Tesla service. I have no opinion on Tesla service since I have no experience. I feel left out.

What am I doing wrong? This car is too darn good.

A year and a half ago today, Wattney, our Model 3, came into our lives. Today she is just a few miles short of 30,000. And nothing has gone wrong. The car has never been in for any warranty service. Okay, I lie a little. One time an OTA update got stuck, and they unstuck it for me remotely. But that's it.

I see all the stories of people taking their Model 3s in for this or that warranty repair. And we all get to read the stories of how delighted or disappointed they are with Tesla service. I have no opinion on Tesla service since I have no experience. I feel left out.

Must be the way you hold your tongue.. :p

It is normal for a Tesla to be pretty trouble free. That does not make the news.

When something goes wrong, that is what the news will pick up on.

Nobody will stay long on a forum that says everything is rosey...

Complainers like to complain. That is their nature.

Most of us just get service issues handled, and go on about our lives.

Honda and Toyota, while pretty reliable, still have super busy Service Centers. They typically are Huge areas of the Dealerships and constantly have many cars up on hoists getting repaired and serviced.Their owners are trained to expect frequent oil changes, tire rotations, tune ups, air filters, fuel filters, transmission service, head gaskets, timing belt/chain replacements stalling problems, computer failures, light going out, the ever present Check Engine Light, and adjustments. It is all a part of owning an ICE vehicle.
They also get stone chips, broken windshields, stains on carpets, seat backs that fail, Clutches that wear out, frequent brake repairs, air conditioning problems, worn out shocks, worn out/broken suspension parts, steering gear problems, off center steering wheels, key locks frozen in winter, problems with GPS systems, radios that don't work, CD players that skip, mis-aligned headlights...the list is endless.

Yet we expect our Tesla to be perfect. Any fault at all tends to get complainers scurrying to their keyboards.

Last edited:
13 months here, and have yet to ever talk to anyone from Tesla. Even my IDA handled everything via email. And my 3 was home delivered with zero soc. Even that hasn't been a problem yet, as my car still shows 310 miles of range. I'm grateful since the nearest service center is over 3hrs away. Now, I just hope I didn't jinx myself.

Reactions: CharleyBC

Only issue i had was the radio stopped working after the V10 update, they fixed it quickly.

Yeah, the Model 3 can be down right boring from a service standpoint ;-)

I have actually called the Tesla ranger twice. Once soon after getting the car when the charging plug got locked into the port (that part has since been revised by Tesla) and recently to improve the door closing mechanics.

The aspect of this I am most proud of Tesla for is that I live 500 miles from the nearest service center ... and it has not bothered me one bit.

Amazing, really

18 months and 11 days for me. Mileage is just over half of OP; 16,663 miles. No major problems with mine. Couple of punctures on the rear driver side tire which required an eventual replacement. The only real things that required contact with Tesla service was a problem with the tire pressure monitoring system indicating a constant fault even though all pressures were correct (car was delivered that way) and over-the-air updates not being applied. The first case was solved by them resetting the sensors and the second was done by re-formatting the SD card (that was performed remotely).

Minor bugs still in the system: rear camera sometimes comes on black but after a few seconds, corrects itself. Radio (and USB drive) does not come on right away. Walk-up unlock not 100% reliable but it's been much better after switching phones (Samsung J3 to an S6 Edge) and also carrying a fob. Very, very infrequent cases of phantom braking. Can't think of anything else at the moment. I can live with these bugs for now but it would be nice if they were squashed.

edit: Corrected boneheaded typo....

Last edited: