Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Technition Wrongful Diagnosis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SpectreX

Nov 11, 2023
va
My model y autopilot became suddenly not available to use.

Since this was 3rd time happening and it was resolved software reset, I requested the same service to Tesla.

However, this time I was told to replace B pillar applique due to malfunction and coincidently I will need to pay for me since my warranty expired.

I asked the technician to try software reset before replacing but they refused because their diagnosis tells to replace the part.

Night before appointment, my model y received software update and autopilot is now available after updating.

I am now very much disappointed with Tesla service and might not be able to trust anymore if anything goes wrong again.

Has anyone experienced the same and how you handled such situations?

I am thinking to bring this up to consumer protection since I got almost scammed fo $200.

Reactions: Resist
I'm not sure anyone else would come to the same conclusion. It's pretty tough to prove they made the decision for replacing the part as a malicious act. If their diagnostics said something was wrong with that part, they're going to want to replace it. I would. Especially for a system that takes control of a vehicle traveling at high velocity.

You need to remember you are driving around in car managed by computers. User complaints of intermittent “computer” problems drive IT people nuts. Reboots often mask problems, so if the computer offers an error code, at least there is a smoking gun. Also keep in mind that the people at a Service Center are not computer gurus, they simply follow procedures.

The fact that this has happened multiple times before, and computer resets temporarily solved the problem, seems to support their conclusion.

Good point that you guys are making. I also thought that would be the root causes which now become known.

Another thought was that they knew B pillar was the issue back then but did not act on it till I get out of warranty