Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Gemini wheels without covers ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Call me crazy, but I think the 19" Gemini wheels look pretty cool without the covers, whereas the covers look kinda cheap plastic. There's one problem though: with the wheel covers removed, the wheel bearings are exposed (to contamination) - not good. Anyone else like the no-cover look ? Any source for a small part that covers just the wheel bearing ?

Just a clarification: The wheel bearings are Not exposed. That is the spindle and dirt will not affect it in any way.
1684250105218.png

I got these at Abstract Ocean. Does the job.

Reactions: Dr_Kyashi
The Tesla Gemini wheel covers that come with the 19" Gemini wheels, while not necessarily aesthetically pleasing, have been shown to increase highway driving efficiency and range by 4% to 5%.
I really don't think it's that much. Anecdotally, for me, it's more like 1 - 2%. Either way, I don't really care as the look is so much better without the covers.

Call me crazy, but I think the 19" Gemini wheels look pretty cool without the covers, whereas the covers look kinda cheap plastic. There's one problem though: with the wheel covers removed, the wheel bearings are exposed (to contamination) - not good. Anyone else like the no-cover look ? Any source for a small part that covers just the wheel bearing ?

I agree with you, definitely looks better without the caps. I got the gemini wheels powder coated triple gloss bronze and also added the kit from amazon to cover the open center cap.

IMG_2252.jpg
IMG_2244.jpg

Reactions: Dr_Kyashi
So, when you guys took the covers off, were the wheels badly scratched? I'm still waiting to take delivery on mine. So I am trying to mentally prepare myself that my brand new wheels will be scratched straight from the factory due to the hubcap cover installation. :(
Any scratches would only be surface scratches that generally can easily be polished out and hardly visible unless you look up close. The most visible damage to wheels are typically curb rash and they would be very visible from afar with or without the covers, given Tesla's cover design does not protect the rim edge (there are aftermarket covers that do). As such I don't think there is any point to stress out about possible minor scratches, given most likely you will eventually get curb rash that would look a ton worse.

So, when you guys took the covers off, were the wheels badly scratched? I'm still waiting to take delivery on mine. So I am trying to mentally prepare myself that my brand new wheels will be scratched straight from the factory due to the hubcap cover installation. :(
No, I took mine off within a few weeks of getting the car, once I had the center hub kit.