Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Tire Choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmmm. Tire choices are kind of limited in a 255/45-19 with a load rating of 104. I was looking at the Bridgestone Turanza Quiet Track, but reviews aren't so good for wet conditions. I live in the Pacific NW, so wet is a big deal. I'm thinking maybe a 102 weight rating would be fine as the stock 20's are rated less than that? (102=1874 pounds.) (1874 x 2)x.9 = 3373, so still above the axle rating for the 20's, but less than the 19's. I'm looking at these: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...YR9QTPXL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes in a 245/45-19. Smaller diameter by .3", so .15" less ground clearance. Excellent handling/braking in all conditions and very quiet. Low tread wear, but cheap to buy.

Thoughts?

If your on the stock 19's, the diameter is 9.5".. stretching a 245 over that will be tough and will have 0 protection for the rim. Not sure why they have such a wide wheel honestly... Wonder how a 245/50/19 would do, maybe if its a little taller it will fit better then a 245/45/19 on this wheel? Opens up a lot more options.

Sorry, I forgot to mention these will be going on Martian 19"x 8.5" rims. So curb rash shouldn't be an issue.

Why not the General Altimax RT43? I've had them before...very good tire in snow and wet. Good value as well
I don't know why these haven't been on my radar... They seem pretty darn good by the reviews... Maybe a little louder than the Vredsteins. Hmm. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to consider.

Wait until the Michelin A/S 3 become available
I've had those on several cars and love them. Outstanding performance tire. However in my experience they have two negatives: poor efficiency and quite loud. Great tires for sure, but the negatives disqualify them for what I want for my Y. If the Michelin Cross Climate + or SUV was available in the size and load range it would be a no brainer for me. But they aren't. :(

Reactions: rxlawdude
I've had those on several cars and love them. Outstanding performance tire. However in my experience they have two negatives: poor efficiency and quite loud. Great tires for sure, but the negatives disqualify them for what I want for my Y. If the Michelin Cross Climate + or SUV was available in the size and load range it would be a no brainer for me. But they aren't. :(

I agree on the noise - there is a loud dronning humm when on somewhat course road (not all road) at 50-70 mph. Loud enough that I am not going to buy them next time around.

These are 255/40R20 on 20x8.5 wheels.
20200419_222637.jpg

Reactions: Nakk
If the Michelin Cross Climate + or SUV was available in the size and load range it would be a no brainer for me. But they aren't. :(

If you went to a 20 inch wheel, then you can get the Michelin Cross Climate SUV - 245/45R20 XL 103V 50,000 Miles / 6 years warranty. Still not cheap, but Michelins rarely are. It is one of the ones I am looking at for my MYPuP if I ever get it...

Looks like there are a lot more options with a 255/50R19. It's only 1" taller (3.6%), would raise the car 0 5" and would give a smoother ride.
I noticed that. I'm lifting my Y PUP 1.75", so that would fit in the wheel well. I haven't checked clearance inside the well though. I worry that might make snow chains to tight a fit. Also, that would make the gearing even worse and slow the car down a bit. I haven't decided if that's worth it or not to me.

Sorry, I forgot to mention these will be going on Martian 19"x 8.5" rims. So curb rash shouldn't be an issue.

I don't know why these haven't been on my radar... They seem pretty darn good by the reviews... Maybe a little louder than the Vredsteins. Hmm. Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to consider.
Did you get your wheels and tires put on? I would like to see a picture of them because I was also planning on doing the Martian 8.5" wide 19" wheels....

Did you get your wheels and tires put on? I would like to see a picture of them because I was also planning on doing the Martian 8.5" wide 19" wheels....
Sadly not yet. Martian got in the first shipment of Y wheels last week, but the special order Y wheels, like mine, are still sailing the seven seas. He said two or three weeks, so one or two weeks now. I'm dying here!!!

For Winter Wheels/Tires we should be able to use the Martian 18 x 8.5 wheels (or other 18" wheels) and tires like the Nokian WR G4 or the R3 in 235/55R18. The WR G4 comes in 235/55R18 104H XL, which I currently have in my Acura RDX and may be putting on my Y. I have experienced 50,000 miles on this winter rated tire with very good snow & ice performance too. These are within 0.2" of the same diameter of the OEM 19" tires, so there should not be any real speedometer/mileage difference.
The (non Performance) Y originally was supposed to come with 18's and several 18" wheels seem to fit, so for the improved damage tolerance with the reduced performance we get with winter tires, why not use 18" wheels for our winter wheels/tires?