Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" to 21" 70D WHEEL UPGRADE Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a 70D a couple weeks ago with the stock rims/tires. I am looking to upgrade to the 21" Rims.

Questions:

1. Is there anything I should know about what sets will work? I assume I need the non staggered 21" by 8.5?
2. Should I keep my stock 19" rims and tires for winter use? I am located in Ohio and it does get bad here. I hear the 21" are not good in winter.
3. Should I buy new tire sensors as well to go with the new set or is that something they can change out when I change the wheels easily each season?

4. Can I have 2 sets of tires or can Tesla only store/have 4 TPMS codes?
5. Should I get this done at tesla which is a distance away or just go to a local shop in good standing?

Thanks all for the help!
J

We went the other way. Our P85+ came with the fancy 21" wheels and low series tires but where we drive the road conditions are such that we had to replace a tire due to road hazards in the first few months of ownership of our car. And we live in an area that gets serious snow, so I ordered and had installed the 19" winter tire set and we just plan to leave them on. Our 21" wheels are swanky and all but since we live in San Francisco (pothole heaven) and northern Nevada out in the country, the 19" wheels are (sadly) more appropriate to our use case and need. If we lived out in the suburbs where everything was immaculately maintained I'd put the 21" wheels on during the non-snow months. Since you live in an area where you get real weather, and if you haven't taken into consideration the lack of fitness of the 21" tires on rough roads, you may be best with what you have now, even thought they are not as cool looking as the 21" wheels and tires set.

We purchased addl TPMS sensors, so each wheel set are ready to go on or off, but I don't know what that entails because one of the local Tesla service centers did our winter wheel set swap and I wasn't there for it.

I just got a 70D a couple weeks ago with the stock rims/tires. I am looking to upgrade to the 21" Rims.

Questions:

1. Is there anything I should know about what sets will work? I assume I need the non staggered 21" by 8.5?
2. Should I keep my stock 19" rims and tires for winter use? I am located in Ohio and it does get bad here. I hear the 21" are not good in winter.
3. Should I buy new tire sensors as well to go with the new set or is that something they can change out when I change the wheels easily each season?

4. Can I have 2 sets of tires or can Tesla only store/have 4 TPMS codes?
5. Should I get this done at tesla which is a distance away or just go to a local shop in good standing?

Thanks all for the help!
J

1. It is difficult to buy anything but the non-staggered 21s b/c Tesla will ask for your VIN and will only sell staggered to P models (from what I hear). Regardless, you can still rotate your tires with non-staggered so practically speaking, that is preferred. Seems like Tesla is moving away from staggered wheels even on the P85D. Please search for threads on the difficulty of taking care of the lower profile 21s; many owners end up switching to 19s! Nothing beats the 21s for looks though, imo.
2. Yes and maybe. The stock 19" wheels are a great winter option. All-season tires on a 70D will most likely get you through most/all winters in your area. For even more peace-of-mind, you could guy dedicated winter performance or snow (studless) tires to stay on the 19s. There are plenty of threads about which ones eg Michelin Xice, etc.
3. Ideally you would use the 21" wheelset with its own tpms and performance tires for the summer and put on your 19" wheelset with its own tpms and winter tires for the icey/snowy months. It's not worth the expense, nor recommended, to have a tireshop swap out tpms every year. A second set of tpms are $200 from Tesla.
4. You can have 2 sets of wheels/tires/tpms. There is a tpms reset button in the car for when you swap tpms/wheels as well as a 19 or 21" wheel option you can select.
5. Any good tire shop can do the mounting/balancing of the tires and tpms. Keep in mind that Tesla Service Centers will only work on factory wheels and recommended tires.