Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1Q 2018 Shareholder Update Highlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This was one of the more entertaining calls that I have heard. Elon didn't want anything to do with short term minor details or financials and started off the call by skipping over them. I guy/kid/fan that asked about 10 questions was thinking big picture but with every question I was worried that he would ask the wrong one. Nice job to whoever that was.

Plus the $2,500 from people configuring their cars? (If they are non-refundable, are they still considered deposits until the car is sold since Tesla can't take the profit until the sale??)
I'm not sure. Tesla characterizes it as a nonrefundable order payment, not a deposit, so they might include it under assets as cash or inventory.

Your Order Payment covers the cost of these activities and other processing costs and is nonrefundable; it is not a deposit for the Vehicle.

I've read that they'll usually refund it if demand is high and you have a good reason for cancelling, but I have no clue about how they count it.

Last edited:
"I believe that the current production of – vehicles that we are currently producing are capable of full autonomy with the only thing that would really be, like, might be needed – maybe is probably needed is a computer upgrade to have more processing power for the vision neural net. "

Soooooo basically saying that the compute solution will need to change, as expected. Place your bets now on the price hike that comes with it!

Soooooo basically saying that the compute solution will need to change, as expected. Place your bets now on the price hike that comes with it!

The thing is Moore's law is a thing for the compute solution. So the future cost of the replacement part is likely same or less than the current board that impressed Munroe. So Tesla would already have a good idea of its cost.

Not really news as this was already hinted at by Tesla previously and expected by many. There may be a 'modest' (I'll say 1K) increase for those that haven't opted in already. On the other hand, 1K is already factored into pricing for adding feature later...