Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 - Model Y low tire pressure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vipman1

Jul 21, 2023
NJ
I’ve 2023 Tesla Model Y and showing low tire pressure (33 psi) on one of tire.
My car has around 2500 miles and new to Tesla on how service works.

What is the best way to address low tire pressure issue as service appointment not available for two weeks?
Can I use air pump available at usual gas station or drive to Tesla service to see if they allow air to fill in one of tire.

Do roadside assistance charge to look at if flat or repair?

• Funny
Reactions: Vin_L
Um. It's a tire on a wheel, with a standard Schraeder valve, just like any standard bicycle or any other car. Your hand-held bicycle pump, upright bicycle pump, the $25 Autozone Special air pump that plugs into 12V (there's an outlet in the arm rest), or an air pump, pay or not, at any gas station/service station/tire shop/etc. will work. Nothing special, and you don't need to use mobile service unless you really feel the need.

If you decide to use Tesla, go to the App, select Service, then tap on Request Service. Then you can select Tires & Wheels. There's not an entry for low air, so I'd guess you'd select "Other - Tires & Wheels", then write up your business about low air pressure.

Thing is.. There is one service Tesla provides in this regard that you may have heard of, and that's if you get a flat. This actually happened to me one evening, driving around Mountainside. Going downhill on a road sans curb, discovered that a homeowner had allowed the stones lining their property had allowed some of them to get into the street, where one made close contact with the front right. This tore a hole in the sidewall, set off the usual low air pressure alarms, and I limped to a parking spot on a nearby residential street, at which point the tire lost all air.

This is where the "Swap your tire" item in the Service menu in the app comes into play. Did that, Tesla has a service where a fellow in a truck/car shows up and swaps your wheel for a spare in his truck, then sends you on your way. If the wheel/tire is repairable, Tesla will do that. In my case, the fellow showed up in a half hour. The tire needed replacing, so I had one drop-shipped to the SC, then showed up at the SC with the car and they swapped the repaired wheel with the loaner. I got charged for tire disposal, remounting, and balancing.

The, "Swap your tire" feature is there, pretty much, to handle the case when (a) you've got a flat, (b) you've got a spare and jack, and (c) you put the spare on. You then throw the bad wheel in the trunk and go looking for a repair place to get it fixed. Since Teslas don't have spares, that's why the tire swap guy.

If you're out in the boonies and out of range of the tire swap service, the alternative is a flat-bed tow truck to some repair place. AAA or the equivalent is good for that kind of thing.

On the other hand, since you've got what appears to be a slow leak, the alternate plan is to put some air in your tire and make your way over to a Mavis Tire, Costco, or your friendly local service station and mechanic, if you've got one. For anywhere from free to $50 or so, they'll pop the wheel off your car, inspect it, dunk it in a tank of water that they keep for the purpose, and locate the leak. If it's repairable, they'll fix it in the spot. If not, well, there's a new tire in your future.

Upvote 0

What is the best way to address low tire pressure issue as service appointment not available for two weeks?
Can I use air pump available at usual gas station or drive to Tesla service to see if they allow air to fill in one of tire.

You have a nail (or something) in your tire. Like any other car, take it to a tire shop. A tire store is going to know more about tires that any Tesla service center. Is there a Discount Tire near you?

Discount tire will fill and often repair your tire for free. A goodwill jester trying to make you a customer when tires are needed.

Discount Tire Centers opens second locationDiscount Tire Centers opens second location4,032 × 3,024

Upvote 0
Advice is good, above, but IMO you should (for any car, not Tesla specific) have a decent tire pressure gauge in the trunk. You cannot trust the pressure readings at gas stations, and you do not want to be excessively high or excessively low (10+ percent off of what the sticker on the car says) when you refill.

The easiest (?) ones to use have a gauge with a rubber hose leading to the filler nozzle
so you can see the pressure easily (one hand for gauge, one for pushing the nozzle onto the tire
filler). They also tend to have a button at the gauge that lets you release some pressure (controllable) if you overfilled the tire. Regrettably, when using the gauge you will get your fingers dirty in the little bit of brake dust... So carry a small clean rag too :)

Also be aware that high outdoor temperature and driving can raise the pressure by nearly 10 percent so do not panic when at the end of a drive pressure is that much above the sticker recommendation, such
is normal. Ten percent low is not a good idea, and costs energy while driving.

Tires tended to leak a bit (before this century) and I am impressed that our ModelS
never seems to lose even one pound pressure in a year (as shown by
the tire pressure sensors on the car).

Upvote 0

Yes I had a nail in my tire and called roadside assistance and was told it would cost 121 dollars to fix and if it’s unrepairable a new tire would cost 430. So took it elsewhere for 65

Upvote 0

In NJ Tesla roving tire repair vans will come right to your house. When I opened a service request this past April the Tesla tire repair van showed up in 40 minutes in my driveway. Most likely you will need a new tire. Have your credit card ready.
Many automobile brands will no longer plug tires due to liability of tire failure at high speed. Do you want to risk a possible failure driving at 75 - 80 MPH on a dark and stormy night?
Good luck

Upvote 0

Go to your nearest tire shop; They will be more than happy to check tire pressure and add air if needed. 👍🏻

Upvote 0