Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1st gen model s air suspension failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2013 model S 60 with tech pkg and air suspension.

I recently had the 12v battery service performed by a mobile tech, on the same visit they replaced the washer fluid nozzles and a tpms sensor. After the service was performed it was a few days later that the air suspension started warning us about a problem and it sounded like the air compressor was running non stop. I immediately noticed a small puddle of dark brown oil/fluid where the car was parked in the garage near the front driver wheel midway. Anyway It rides like crap and is only a few inches off the ground with the tops of the tires tucked way up under the fender, it is sitting at the lowest possible setting and scrapes the driveway and bottoms out hard even at creep so basically it is not drivable. I called Tesla and they said they would get service to call for an appointment but it’s been over a week since. I opened the frunk and removed the tub and liners to get a view of everything and saw no trace of oil or fluid anywhere. I checked under the strut cover area also and found the same. So anyway I am unable to use the car and don’t know how to proceed with diagnosis. I read the fixed air hose for a dollar thread but not sure how to find that leak if that’s what it is. If anyone could offer some help it would be much appreciated.

You should be able to go to any suspension shop for repairs..
I think they are Bilstein units - some of the Tesla dismantlers will be able to get you replacements cheap
Really really lame on Tesla service for the way they handle issues

I recently had the 12v battery service performed by a mobile tech, on the same visit they replaced the washer fluid nozzles and a tpms sensor. After the service was performed it was a few days later that the air suspension started warning us about a problem and it sounded like the air compressor was running non stop. I immediately noticed a small puddle of dark brown oil/fluid where the car was parked in the garage near the front driver wheel midway. Anyway It rides like crap and is only a few inches off the ground with the tops of the tires tucked way up under the fender, it is sitting at the lowest possible setting and scrapes the driveway and bottoms out hard even at creep so basically it is not drivable. I called Tesla and they said they would get service to call for an appointment but it’s been over a week since. I opened the frunk and removed the tub and liners to get a view of everything and saw no trace of oil or fluid anywhere. I checked under the strut cover area also and found the same. So anyway I am unable to use the car and don’t know how to proceed with diagnosis. I read the fixed air hose for a dollar thread but not sure how to find that leak if that’s what it is. If anyone could offer some help it would be much appreciated.
This exact same thing has happened to me, however I didn’t notice any liquid under the car like you did. Mine also happened after a tech came out to replace the 12 volt battery. The car was slammed at the lowest position and the pump ran constantly until it failed. I took it in to the service center for repairs and they replaced a solenoid and air compressor for ~$1200. Now one month later the exact same thing has happened again. This time I removed the tub to pull the plug on the air compressor so it doesn’t continue running and burn out. I’ve used a tire gauge to measure the psi of air in the compressor holding tank and can’t detect or hear any leak. I hope I don’t have to keep paying ~$1200 a month to have the air system fixed repeatedly. One additional interesting thing is that on both occasions that this happened there was a significant vibration that shook the steering wheel and then the you could hear the pump (or maybe another pump) rev up loudly. It’s crazy how similar the 2 cases I’ve had are. I did have about 6 weeks of no issue driving in between though.

anyways, can you share what was done to resolve you issue since it sounds like it may be similar to mine?
Also, anyone else experience this? Currently I have to wait 3 weeks until my service center appointment and my car is pretty much in drivable as is. May have to take it to a regular suspension shop. Thanks for any feedback anyone may have.

This exact same thing has happened to me, however I didn’t notice any liquid under the car like you did. Mine also happened after a tech came out to replace the 12 volt battery. The car was slammed at the lowest position and the pump ran constantly until it failed. I took it in to the service center for repairs and they replaced a solenoid and air compressor for ~$1200. Now one month later the exact same thing has happened again. This time I removed the tub to pull the plug on the air compressor so it doesn’t continue running and burn out. I’ve used a tire gauge to measure the psi of air in the compressor holding tank and can’t detect or hear any leak. I hope I don’t have to keep paying ~$1200 a month to have the air system fixed repeatedly. One additional interesting thing is that on both occasions that this happened there was a significant vibration that shook the steering wheel and then the you could hear the pump (or maybe another pump) rev up loudly. It’s crazy how similar the 2 cases I’ve had are. I did have about 6 weeks of no issue driving in between though.

anyways, can you share what was done to resolve you issue since it sounds like it may be similar to mine?
Also, anyone else experience this? Currently I have to wait 3 weeks until my service center appointment and my car is pretty much in drivable as is. May have to take it to a regular suspension shop. Thanks for any feedback anyone may have.

If your compressor (1-5) is running constantly all that air needs to go somewhere and if your solenoid block (7-9) is new there must be a leak.

Here is an overview of the air suspension flow chart:

compressor.png

If the reservoir (6) is holding pressure the leak has to be somewhere further. Sometimes a hose from the solenoid block that goes to an air strut or to the compressor goes bad and you end up with a dropped car because it wants to level itself.

airsusp3.jpg

I always try to follow the hoses with my hand to feel for damaged spots or with soapy water but if it leaks very hard you can find it pretty easy because you can hear it leaking.

Good luck.

Reactions: BostonBurley
Thanks for the reply and info! Interesting. So is the reversing valve a type of check valve? So if I have pressure in the reservoir it doesn’t necessarily mean I have pressure to the air struts? I figured the pressure would be the same throughout the system.

Do you think it would damage the system if I were to remove the lines from the solenoid going to each strut and fill them with air from an external source (compressors or pump) and check for hissing or leaks one by one? As of now I can’t hear any hissing since the Tesla compressor is so loud. I’ve sprayed with soapy water but haven’t seen any leaks around the compressor or solenoids or the lines nearby. It would be nice to figure out which line the possible leak might be in before going further, but I don’t want to damage the system. Thanks for your help.

So if I have pressure in the reservoir it doesn’t necessarily mean I have pressure to the air struts? I figured the pressure would be the same throughout the system.

The reversing valves are mounted on the compressor and they are for reversing the flow so the compressor can now draw excess air from the air suspension struts, back through the compressor, and into the reservoir.

So in other words the air in the reservoir isn't directly connected to your air struts.

On the solenoid block are 6 lines, 4 goes to each wheel, one line goes to the compressor and one vents to outside. You can test them individually on the way you described. Normal riding height pressure on the struts is 7 bar front and 9 bar in the rear so if you don't exceed this pressure it will be fine.

All 5 solenoid block valves are normally closed so when there is no activity all valves are 100% closed.

If you want to turn on/off the car's compressor you could also remove the relay in the fuse box so you don't have to remove the frunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: BostonBurley
If your compressor (1-5) is running constantly all that air needs to go somewhere and if your solenoid block (7-9) is new there must be a leak.

Here is an overview of the air suspension flow chart:

View attachment 702581

If the reservoir (6) is holding pressure the leak has to be somewhere further. Sometimes a hose from the solenoid block that goes to an air strut or to the compressor goes bad and you end up with a dropped car because it wants to level itself.

View attachment 702608

I always try to follow the hoses with my hand to feel for damaged spots or with soapy water but if it leaks very hard you can find it pretty easy because you can hear it leaking.

Good luck.
Happened to me as well after 255.000 km. Can I borrow your diagram?

Thanks for the reply and info! Interesting. So is the reversing valve a type of check valve? So if I have pressure in the reservoir it doesn’t necessarily mean I have pressure to the air struts? I figured the pressure would be the same throughout the system.

Do you think it would damage the system if I were to remove the lines from the solenoid going to each strut and fill them with air from an external source (compressors or pump) and check for hissing or leaks one by one? As of now I can’t hear any hissing since the Tesla compressor is so loud. I’ve sprayed with soapy water but haven’t seen any leaks around the compressor or solenoids or the lines nearby. It would be nice to figure out which line the possible leak might be in before going further, but I don’t want to damage the system. Thanks for your help.
I have this EXACT issue. TSC has been very unhelpful.

I’ve got the same issue!