Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1Up bike rack and trunk clearance on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, how much clearance does the trunk have on a M3 with this bike rack? any pics? did some searching and didn't come up with much for the M3.

This looks like it tilts back to clear but curious how that works and how easy that is to adjust when there is a heavy bike on it?

Thanks in advance

I've got a 1Up and it is pretty easy to tilt with 2 road bikes on it. Super great rack. It has catches built in so when you tilt it, it will latch before hitting ground, assuming there is enough clearance. The way the rack holds the bikes, they don't move when you tilt, so it is really easy. The hardest part is reaching the latch mechanism to tilt the rack since it is below everything. I don't however, have a Tesla, but I use the rack on a pickup and a minivan and it is easy to use in either case.

Reactions: bottomsup
I will pick up my new Model 3 next week, and I am considering installing the Stealth EcoHitch to use with my 1UP Super Duty double rack. Planning to carry two e-bikes, so the combined rack plus bike weight is almost 150 lbs. I am concerned about fitment with the rack in the storage position, but I do not want to use the hitch extender due to the heavy load. Does anyone have experience with fitting the Stealth EcoHitch and 1UP Super or Heavy Duty rack on a Model 3?

I will pick up my new Model 3 next week, and I am considering installing the Stealth EcoHitch to use with my 1UP Super Duty double rack. Planning to carry two e-bikes, so the combined rack plus bike weight is almost 150 lbs. I am concerned about fitment with the rack in the storage position, but I do not want to use the hitch extender due to the heavy load. Does anyone have experience with fitting the Stealth EcoHitch and 1UP Super or Heavy Duty rack on a Model 3?
Installed Stealth EcoHitch on my wife's Model S and based on my experience clearance is an issue. Slight driveway angles causes the 1UP rack (with eBike) to rub. The Model S has air suspension which helps prevent (when raised) pavement rubbing but overall it will work but just be mindful when approaching driveways. And I have the 2" Super Duty version.

Attachments

• IMG_1457.JPG
    IMG_1457.JPG
    747.8 KB · Views: 238
Reactions: tm3lrawd
Installed Stealth EcoHitch on my wife's Model S and based on my experience clearance is an issue. Slight driveway angles causes the 1UP rack (with eBike) to rub. The Model S has air suspension which helps prevent (when raised) pavement rubbing but overall it will work but just be mindful when approaching driveways. And I have the 2" Super Duty version.
Thanks EdEV for letting me know about ground clearance issue. I am also interested in knowing if the 1Up rack will hit the rear bumper of my Model 3 when the rack is in the storage position.

Thanks EdEV for letting me know about ground clearance issue. I am also interested in knowing if the 1Up rack will hit the rear bumper of my Model 3 when the rack is in the storage position.
1UP racks can be adjusted (closer or away) from the bumper as you prefer, then lock in place (tighten the rack on the receiver) using the bolt (part of the rack) with the associated key. This is to secure the bike rack from wobbling. The rack has a slotted hole so you can adjust the distance between rack and bumper.

I had a Stealth EcoHitch on my Model 3 and used the 1UP Super Duty single rack. I didn't have to use the extender and the rack doesn't touch the bumper.

What year is your wife's S? Just curious about the install on the S---I have a MYP now and do a lot of mountain biking so love the built in hitch (although access is not super convenient). Have a LR S on order (due in 1-2 months after a thousand adjustments in my EDD), and haven't decided if I want to switch to it vs the MYP--hitch install, convenient of use etc is a concern. Would love to hear your thoughts on the install, ease of access/use etc. Thanks!

What year is your wife's S? Just curious about the install on the S---I have a MYP now and do a lot of mountain biking so love the built in hitch (although access is not super convenient). Have a LR S on order (due in 1-2 months after a thousand adjustments in my EDD), and haven't decided if I want to switch to it vs the MYP--hitch install, convenient of use etc is a concern. Would love to hear your thoughts on the install, ease of access/use etc. Thanks!
2014 S85. Hitch install on the S is fairly straightforward, will require cutting a hole to the bottom of the bumper to make room for the receiver hitch, and you'll need to purchase a magnet mounted cover so the hole is not exposed when the rack is not used. Securing the bolt to lock in the receiver with the rack is a "little easier" to secure vs the MY. A bigger consideration would be the clearance issue with the S or the 3 rubbing the rack as you approach less than ideal driveways or even commercial places with steep driveways (based on personnel experience) and slight unpaved roads and mountain biking parking lots (based on personnel experience). I also own a MYP and I can say that I have no stress worrying about rubbing issues with the rack attached. I traded my M3 to my current MYP realizing the tradeoffs with the bike rack attached. Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_2131.jpeg
    IMG_2131.jpeg
    885 KB · Views: 107
Reactions: bdaviskc