Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

1yr battery degradation report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting to read this battery "degradation". At my approx 1 yr 3 month mark at 90%, I get 240 miles. Clearly sad to see when it was averaging over 295 miles. Over 300 if 100%. Not quite the advertised mileage, along with "full auto pilot".

Pretty disappointed even with degradation
over time. In my mind this is after 5-6 years. Not in 1 year...

Even small percent degradation is significant if based on 300 miles. 30 miles is 10%...

Take the time to do an "advanced search" on battery degradation. Doing some research will help you understand how the HV battery system works.

The greatest/fastest drop in capacity occurs in the first year/10k miles. This has been posted dozens of times in multiple threads. Degradation rate slows significantly after the first 10k miles. (I'm at 44k miles, with 5% degradation.

I read all of the Model Y posts in this forum, and I don't recall a single instance of an HV battery requiring replacement because of excessive degradation.

Reactions: JonB65 and DanDi58
Take the time to do an "advanced search" on battery degradation. Doing some research will help you understand how the HV battery system works.

The greatest/fastest drop in capacity occurs in the first year/10k miles. This has been posted dozens of times in multiple threads. Degradation rate slows significantly after the first 10k miles. (I'm at 44k miles, with 5% degradation.

I read all of the Model Y posts in this forum, and I don't recall a single instance of an HV battery requiring replacement because of excessive degradation.
Thanks for your reply. But consider. 245 miles from 297 for initial phase. I prefer that to happen later. Your comment to "read the faqs" supposed to make right what is advertised to new buyers who are more likely to get more info after the facts?

And just a reminder that simply charging to 100% once isn't the best way to measure degradation. There are lots of reasons why the BMS may not accurately indicate your range. There are ways to do it properly that are found either here or on Google. You can even do a test for battery health in the Service Menu of your car. I don't really care or worry about it so I can't tell you how to do it. But as @Pianewman said, do a little research before assuming that charging to 100% once will give you an accurate indication of battery degradation.

Sharing my own datapoint for condo dwellers:

Just charged to 100% for the first time after 1yr 18 days of ownership to allow BMS to calibrate and balance cells:

2022 MYLR
7,600mi
Charged almost exclusively on 50 - 100 kW public DCFS chargers
Started out charging to 80% now always 90%

Car shows 317mi range at 100% SoC, so ~4% battery degradation
Thank you for sharing this data. At a little more than 2yrs, and 23000 miles I was looking at 16.14% degradation, at least according to the BMC. This is the procedure I used to reset the BMC, after sorting out recommendations on this forum and youtube. I made two 400 mile round-trips within a couple of weeks of one another. I performed the reset after each trip. I ran the indicated battery charge to less than 10% (actually closer to 5%) before initiating the reset. The procedure I chose required allowing the BMC to set for about three hours before beginning the charge to 100%, and then letting the BMC set there for a couple of hours as well. At the end of the process I had regained 18 miles of calculated range, and my degradation decreased to 10.46%. This latest figure was for a 2.5 year old car with 26000 miles of use. My car lives outside in the Florida sun, recharging through my home Tesla wall charger. I can live with that loss. The problem for you will be the logistics of completing this process without access to a private home charger. But, the point is that my battery is no more powerful after the reset than before. The reported power is just more accurate. So, not to worry. You're in better shape than you think.