Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2.0 to 3.0 Upgrade: Video Sentry work?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When 2.0 HW with FSD eventually gets upgraded to 3.0 HW for free, will Sentry with video recording work? Will the MCU also need to be upgraded to MCU2 or is it not possible regardless? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Sentry and dashcam will work with the FSD computer retrofit, even on mcu1- for hw2.0 cars. The FSD computer retrofit does NOT include an mcu2 swap. The mcu2 swap is an optional $2,500 add on.

Sentry and dashcam will work with the FSD computer retrofit, even on mcu1- for hw2.0 cars. The FSD computer retrofit does NOT include an mcu2 swap. The mcu2 swap is an optional $2,500 add on.

Understand it doesn’t include the MCU2 upgrade, but will video recording work once 2.0 is upgraded to 3.0? I’m reading mixed positions on this. Thanks.

Understand it doesn’t include the MCU2 upgrade, but will video recording work once 2.0 is upgraded to 3.0? I’m reading mixed positions on this. Thanks.

It will but you won't get the Sentry/Dashcam Viewer as that requires MCU2. You'll also find that regarding of which HW2/3 you get, future features that requires more power from the MCU won't be available from MCU1.

$2500 may be a bit expensive, it's well worth it. Many of us have done the upgrade (once your vehicle becomes eligible for the Infotainment Upgrade), and I think all of us have said it's well worth the $2500. Possibly the best $2500 you'll spend on your Tesla.

See my detailed writeup found here = Tesla confirms infotainment system upgradeability from MCU1 to MCU2 for $2500

Great, thanks for the quick responses guys. I’m in the market for a used MS so this information is helpful.

Personally I would get something with AP 2.5 with the FSD Software, and then look into the Infotainment Upgrade for an additional $2500 as that is the best bet if you plan to keep your Tesla for a long time... MCU2 feels like you have just upgraded to a new Tesla.

Check out https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/ to located used Tesla information sold by Tesla.

Personally I would get something with AP 2.5 with the FSD Software, and then look into the Infotainment Upgrade for an additional $2500 as that is the best bet if you plan to keep your Tesla for a long time... MCU2 feels like you have just upgraded to a new Tesla.

Check out https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/ to located used Tesla information sold by Tesla.

Zanary - What are your thoughts on a 2.0 model with FSD? That way I will eventually get the 3.0 upgrade for free. I would still consider upgrading to MCU2 for the reasons you mentioned, but the price difference between similar optioned used 2.0 vs. 2.5 is considerable.

And thanks for pointing me to ev-cpo.com/hunter, I've been searching that site daily.

Reactions: EV-CPO