Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2/3 of Regen breaking lost... How to get it back? (during winter)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So last night I had 50 more miles to go for a full 100 % charge on my model X and I scheduled a charge at 5 am so the car will be at 100% around 6-615 am (72 amp, car is inside an attached garage at around 40 F) (I am heading out of town for a long trip today) and sure enough the last few miles trickled in right before I got in the car at 620. However, I still had more than half of the regen breaking area with dotted lines... Those who have tried this maneuver to have their batteries nice and warm, can I expect all yellow dots to go away? Did I do something wrong? Is charging only for about 1 hour not enough time?...
Thanks.

I think limited regen in this situation was A result of your charging to 100%. You probably needed to burn off 20 kms at lest before you had regen kick in.

I bought a Bolt last month because I was tired of the X not doing much regen when cold! The Bolt has similar limits on Regen (full battery or cold) but not for very long...a mile or so. and even in worst case I see 7 to 10kw of regen (60 after a few miles)

On X ...what puzzles me is that it seems to me that some Regen should show up green to heat battery or cabin but I got zero for many miles. Best approach is hard driving that seems to warm battery quicker.

This is probably one of the more difficult EV topics for people to understand and cope with. I suspect Tesla and other EV manufacturers will have to work hard to make this characteristic more understandable and less intimidating for the hordes of pending new owners, most of whom will probably want to "just drive" and not have to learn lots of "tricks" to manage their battery-powered cars.
The tricks are not necessary. You're on a forum full of obsessed enthusiasts. When my other family members drive their EVs cold, they just use the brakes a bit more. It's a quirk that they just accept as part of the reality of driving. It's not so different than ICE cars that idle high when cold to warm up the catalyst quickly. Combine that with cold friction brakes and it can take a lot of pedal force to stop when cold.