Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 big issues with Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the US is following Europe's preference for hatchbacks.
:http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/family-sedan-endangered-species#ixzz4bRueVyaq
Major difference: US market is switching to CUVs (RAV-4, CR-V, Escape), not really what we would typically call a "hatchback" (like VW Golf, Focus/Fiesta Hatchback, etc). Europe actually prefers real hatchbacks (not the CUVs), although they are also switching to CUVs too.

As pointed out already, the Model Y will be Tesla's CUV. It's unclear if Tesla will actually make a Model 3 hatchback (in the traditional sense).

Major difference: US market is switching to CUVs (RAV-4, CR-V, Escape), not really what we would typically call a "hatchback" (like VW Golf, Focus/Fiesta Hatchback, etc). Europe actually prefers real hatchbacks (not the CUVs), although they are also switching to CUVs too.

As pointed out already, the Model Y will be Tesla's CUV. It's unclear if Tesla will actually make a Model 3 hatchback (in the traditional sense).

Agree, my reason for posting the link was mainly to make the point that sedans are not as popular now and going forward as some would make you believe.
Liftbacks, hatchbacks and CUV'/SUV's are the future. Personally, I prefer pretty much anything over a sedan so may lease the 3 and change to the Model Y whenever that becomes available.

The 2 main issues that I see with model 3 are:

1. The long pano glass on model X causes a lot of distortion or ghosting effect, especially at night with others' lights (check out that thread). Tesla seem to be sticking their head in the sand about it. This could become a really huge issue for them considering the quantity of reservations.

2. The only solution to the heat and sun from the roof glass is a plastic filter that looks like a curtain. So long elegance. Not the biggest issue, but is that the state of the art?

Other than that, big fan.
Are you kidding? Where are you getting your information? Why are you comparing it to the Model X? The glass roof on the Model S COULD be similar to the 3 and though some people have claimed of wind buffering at freeway speed, mine is great -- and I live in the Arizona desert. It might be a good idea to wait until we see the final car before posting goofy crap about it.

Reactions: S'toon and melindav
Are you kidding? Where are you getting your information? Why are you comparing it to the Model X? The glass roof on the Model S COULD be similar to the 3 and though some people have claimed of wind buffering at freeway speed, mine is great -- and I live in the Arizona desert. It might be a good idea to wait until we see the final car before posting goofy crap about it.

Why would I be kidding? I'm getting my info from that thread of those X owners that are complaining about the ghosting on the long pano roof. I'm not talking about wind issues because that thread is not about wind issues. Its about the ghosting effect, which many owners seem to have. I think its an important issue that I wish Tesla make sure to solve.

Why would I be kidding? I'm getting my info from that thread of those X owners that are complaining about the ghosting on the long pano roof. I'm not talking about wind issues because that thread is not about wind issues. Its about the ghosting effect, which many owners seem to have. I think its an important issue that I wish Tesla make sure to solve.
I'll try one last time. Comparing the Model 3 roof to that of the Model X is nonsense.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
Three big issues:
First issue: CAVU can't count.
Tesla needs to fix the ugly beak on the M3. Gosh!
Second issue: CAVU has no taste.
Currently the M3 looks like it belongs in the movie Cars with big red lips on the front and a mouth.
Third issue: CAVU is so used to seeing grills that CAVU thinks that the lack of a grill somehow resembles a mouth.

Its really not nonsense as it the same designers, the same technology and the same factory making them. So probably they will be very similar. If I'm wrong please explain I'll be happy to hear.

Getting a pano glass roof and then being forced to but in plastic shades to prevent heat and sun will make it look more like a tent then a car. I really hope that will not be necessary.

Its really not nonsense as it the same designers, the same technology and the same factory making them. So probably they will be very similar. If I'm wrong please explain I'll be happy to hear.

Getting a pano glass roof and then being forced to but in plastic shades to prevent heat and sun will make it look more like a tent then a car. I really hope that will not be necessary.

The Model 3 is based on the Model S, not the X, so the MS is a far more appropriate place to look. If you want to base your concerns on the same technology, designers, and factory, then look to the closest example.

The MS has no ghosting issues.

The pano roof has no heat problems. When I got my MS tinted, I asked about the roof. The detailer waved me off and told me to save my money because Tesla had it covered. He was absolutely correct to do so. I've had no troubles at all and have to intention of getting a shade of any sort.

Its seems that between those who dislike the rear headroom and glass, and lack of AWD, there will be also of cancellations and my 2WD Model 3 will arrive much earlier. I would like to get the $7500 tax credit and the $2000 NY