Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 powerwall 3s were 100% and suddenly dropped to 83% with only 0.8 kWh discharged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 2 powerwall 3s and for some reason, they dropped 17% with only 0.8 kWh usage.

1000001434.jpg

1000001436.jpg
1000001435.jpg

I have 2x PW3 and I’m having something similar. It will jump from 79% charged to 98% charged immediately and do exactly the same when the battery is being used jumping from indicating 98% to 79%.

Tesla had me turn off the batteries and then my panel for 5 minutes and then turn on the panel and then the batteries. That fixed the indications for a day and then it returned to the way it was.

I contacted Tesla again and they have promoted the issue but I’m still waiting on a visit or and resolution.

I’ll update if it gets resolved.

Attachments

• IMG_0847.png
    IMG_0847.png
    670.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0846.png
    IMG_0846.png
    669.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0844.png
    IMG_0844.png
    671.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0843.png
    IMG_0843.png
    669.3 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Grayson73
On a related note, my two PW 2 units charge to 100%, go to standby for 30-45 minutes and then sometimes they charge some more. Sometimes the indicated SOC drops before the additional charging and sometimes it doesn’t. However, 15% is A LOT for the SOC to jump around. Mine is only about 2%.

I have 2x PW3 and I’m having something similar. It will jump from 79% charged to 98% charged immediately and do exactly the same when the battery is being used jumping from indicating 98% to 79%.

Tesla had me turn off the batteries and then my panel for 5 minutes and then turn on the panel and then the batteries. That fixed the indications for a day and then it returned to the way it was.

I contacted Tesla again and they have promoted the issue but I’m still waiting on a visit or and resolution.

I’ll update if it gets resolved.

Thanks for doing the work to contact Tesla. Looking forward to hear what happens.

More info:

Saturday it went down from 100% to 83% from 9:15am-9:30am with only 0.8 kWh discharged. That should only be 3% off 27 kWh, not 17%

Yesterday 2/20/24 it went up from 68% to 85% from 2:30pm-2:45pm

Today 2/21/24 it went up from 71% to 88% from 2:15pm-2:30pm

For some reason, all the jumps are 17%.

Chatted with Tesla online and they said "I have escalated the concern to our Tier 2 to double check the system. Please allow up to 5 business days for their review. "

Last edited:
@Iain Do you think we should try charging to 100% and draining to 0% to see if that fixes the issue?
I haven’t gone all the way to zero but I did drop them to 6%…. Honestly in the last few days they seem to be working properly. I’m seeing charge rates in the 80’s. The ticket is still open and I’m still going to let Tesla look into it. One of the people I spoke to thought it might need a software update, but I’ll wait and see what their solution is.

I haven’t gone all the way to zero but I did drop them to 6%…. Honestly in the last few days they seem to be working properly. I’m seeing charge rates in the 80’s. The ticket is still open and I’m still going to let Tesla look into it. One of the people I spoke to thought it might need a software update, but I’ll wait and see what their solution is.
I asked my Tesla audit contact and he said "If I had to guess it's probably some software/firmware issue "

Powerwall Companion only shows 15 minute increments for the battery %. I wish I had even more granular.
It is 15 min on companion but 5 min interval on Tesla app you show in post 1. Lot of drop for 15 min that doesn't show up on consumption.
Most likely a software issue otherwise, in my opinion, it would show up in consumption with a nice pike up.

It is 15 min on companion but 5 min interval on Tesla app you show in post 1. Lot of drop for 15 min that doesn't show up on consumption.
Most likely a software issue otherwise, in my opinion, it would show up in consumption with a nice pike up.

Powerwall SOC is only available in 15 min resolution. The Tesla app scrubber makes it seem like it has 5 min resolution, but that's just so the data points match up with the energy chart above (all the energy charts have 5 min resolution). If you look closer, you'll notice that all the SOC data points that don't line up with 15 min intervals are just repeated values.

Regardless, this definitely looks like a software or Powerwall firmware issue. The only other useful data point would be PW3 full pack energy, but getting that would require scanning the QR code that's behind the cover (i.e. Tesla clearly doesn't want users accessing that data :/).