Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 tesla accounts on one phone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There's no need to contact Tesla and wait weeks for them to share the vehicle. There's no need to put the vehicles on one account.

Assuming you have your car on your account and your wife has her car on her account, you can fix this yourself in a matter of minutes. Go to your account on Tesla's website (Account, Contact, Edit Secondary Contact) and add her as your secondary contact. Then you can choose to share your car with her. If she goes into her account, she can add you as secondary contact and then you can each see both vehicles instantly. If you have multiple vehicles but don't want to share them all, you can use the checkboxes to limit which cars the secondary contact will have access to. Once you save the information, go log into the app using the other user's account and refresh the vehicle list and you'll see the shared vehicle.
Secondary contact.png

Last edited:
There's no need to contact Tesla and wait weeks for them to share the vehicle. There's no need to put the vehicles on one account.

Assuming you have your car on your account and your wife has her car on her account, you can fix this yourself in a matter of minutes. Go to your account on Tesla's website (Account, Contact, Edit Secondary Contact) and add her as your secondary contact. Then you can choose to share your car with her. If she goes into her account, she can add you as secondary contact and then you can each see both vehicles instantly. If you have multiple vehicles but don't want to share them all, you can use the checkboxes to limit which cars the secondary contact will have access to. Once you save the information, go log into the app using the other user's account and refresh the vehicle list and you'll see the shared vehicle.
View attachment 473207
... and each other can check the other car location! LoL

Is there any way I can have both my wife's tesla and my tesla on my phone? Thanks.

Both cars should really be on one account.

Why? My husband and I have our own accounts and can see each other's car. We each have our own car but will occasionally drive the other. It makes sharing our cars really easy. Only thing you have to remember when accessing the Model 3 with the phone key is to have the Model 3 car front and center on the app, otherwise you have to switch to it. We both carry the Model S key fob for my husband's car. Once Tesla effectuates the account change you swipe to see the other car and on the Settings page of the app you have a Switch button there too.

@chillerjt, she'll need to make the change since she'll be granting you access to her car.

Read the "I have two Tesla Accounts. Can I merge them?" and "Can I add additional people to my Tesla Account?" from their Support Page: Tesla Account Support . Be clear what change you are asking them to make--merged or adding. I'm assuming you don't want to merge the two accounts but instead keep them separate like we did, just granting access through the app to each spouse. That way we each had our own credit card associated with our own car. The owner then will retain the sole ability to have access to his/her own account info and scheduling of any service appointments for example.

I just saw @MorrisonHiker's post and he pretty much showed what you'll find on the Support page instructions. Probably with so many people adding a second Tesla (likely advent of the Model 3) they were getting the request all the time to share the app. The app change is new to me, we had to do it via email and wait, so interesting to see Telsa made that change.

Last edited:
... and each other can check the other car location! LoL
Yes, if they both share their cars. You can just share a car to someone else's account. We do this whenever we sell a car so that the buyer can instantly have access. Then once we get the title and everything straightened out, they do an official ownership transfer. They appreciate it since it allows them to instantly have access to the car via the app instead of waiting weeks (or months) for Tesla to officially transfer ownership.

• Helpful
Reactions: Watts_Up

View attachment 473207
Now that they've added the option to purchase upgrades directly in the app, this might not be the best solution. Before, it allowed an owner a way to share car access with a family member or new buyer without giving them access to make additional purchases. Does anyone know what authentication Tesla uses to prevent someone accessing a shared car from purchasing upgrades? Hopefully the user is prompted to enter the owner's credentials.

Now that they've added the option to purchase upgrades directly in the app, this might not be the best solution. Before, it allowed an owner a way to share car access with a family member or new buyer without giving them access to make additional purchases. Does anyone know what authentication Tesla uses to prevent someone accessing a shared car from purchasing upgrades? Hopefully the user is prompted to enter the owner's credentials.
It’s no problem. They’d be buying an upgrade for you, as it’s their payment details that get used - not yours.