Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 teslas, how many chargers, wires, etc.?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi all, as I wait for one Tesla, I ordered another? I have the wall charger installed, maybe 60 amp service (originally set by electric8an cor 50, now 60) anyway, I’m trying to decide, do I get a second charger, is one enough, can I run multiple with master/slave and WiFi, do I get another brand, and lastly, fastest, etc, would be 2 chargers with 2 wire runs.
I’m interested in any suggestions,
this install was about $2k, about a 200 foot run and generator load shed module, I wouldn’t mind saving moneh, and I don’t know how often I’d charge either or both cars.
i know Elon said best to charge every night.
i welcome any thought or suggestions. Thanks!

You can indeed do load sharing with multiple Gen 3 wall connectors now.

If I had your current setup with a long single run on a 60 amp circuit, I’d consider terminating that existing run in a sub panel and then wiring two load sharing chargers from there.

Then either one could draw the full 48 amps by itself, or they could each draw 24 amps simultaneously if you wanted to run them in parallel. Unless you’re driving a ton that’s more than enough juice to replenish a charge overnight.

Reactions: IamGaryGnu
You can indeed do load sharing with multiple Gen 3 wall connectors now.

If I had your current setup with a long single run on a 60 amp circuit, I’d consider terminating that existing run in a sub panel and then wiring two load sharing chargers from there.

Then either one could draw the full 48 amps by itself, or they could each draw 24 amps simultaneously if you wanted to run them in parallel. Unless you’re driving a ton that’s more than enough juice to replenish a charge overnight.
Thank you, largely what I was thinking, electrician was here for other stuff today, so he still feels the 6 gauge is plenty, and said it would be much easier for him to do a second run now, as he knows my attic space, and I imagine because we have the conduits now. Actually, I was thinking a tap in the garage for a second charger, but your suggestion makes more sense. Thank you!