Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2 USB Ports under screen not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Too small of a sample size of tests. Try another charging cable, try another flash drive, try a flash drive with music on it. It's still not clear if it was working before. Try a reboot. Try powering down the car from the Safety & Security menu and letting it sit for 3 minutes before restarting. Try letting it sleep overnight. Then try all those other cables and drives again.

Reactions: WilliamG
I picked up my Model 3 Long Range yesterday - did masses of checks and all good but forgot to take a phone charger cable. Tried it today and neither of the front USB ports charges phone and it wont recognise a memory stick for Sentry mode. Rear ports both work fine for charging.
Have tried with various cables that all work in the rear and sockets in the house.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I had the same problem when I picked my M3 up. It randomly started working one morning and then stopped again recently. I have service setup for Friday, will let you know if they provide any beneficial information. Same symptoms as others - no charging and no dashcam, multiple cables tried and the same cables work in the rear ports.

I can tell when it's working because of the Sentry mode events I am able to view and the dashcam icon on the screen. Tried resets and everything else, no help.

Being the problem is intermittent, I'm hoping it stays broken when I take it to the service center....but it's frustrating to say the least.

Just an update on mine, it's been at the service center for 5 days, and I still don't have it back. From what they have said they are not sure whether it is a USB hub issue (for the front) or the computer itself. To rule both out they are replacing both and hopefully that fixes the issue but nothing is guaranteed.

It's definitely a weird issue and in my case it was odd because it didn't work, then started to work for a few days, then stopped working again randomly...hopefully I'll be able to provide another update in a few days once my vehicle is returned.

For anyone that comes across this, we've found the ports just... die? with certain devices.

With my wife's phone, all ports die when it happens. But this is only sometimes, and usually not right after plugging in the phone. Restarting the car screen (hold steering wheel buttons down) works, as does the car restarting itself (e.g. if you leave it for a day, maybe it restarted at some point). Kind of like when on a computer a faulty USB device takes down the USB controller until you restart the computer (which makes sense, it's a computer you're plugging into in the Model 3). It took a bit to determine it was her phone specifically that caused this, but it probably could happen with any device plugged in via USB.

The solution for my wife's phone was a "dumb" USB cable that has power only, no data lines. It can't talk to the car so it can't break it. Charging is really slow as a result, but it's better than nothing.

• Informative
Reactions: Arctic_White
I just posted this in another thread:

A mobile ranger literally just left my house after attempting to fix this same problem. Software updates and reboots didn't work it so he replaced the appropriate hardware with no luck. So I have to bring it to a service center. He thought the problem was related the body control module so we will see. The problem began after Tesla replaced the steering column so not sure if this new issue is related to that or not.

I must have posted this elsewhere but thought I should report my experience with the front UBS ports cutting out intermittently here.

My 2020 Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor was delivered March 15th. My front ports have cut out during Super Charging (but not every time), and when the inside cabin temp gets very hot when parked in the sun. Lately here in Upstate NY outside temps have been in the upper 80's to mid 90's, and I've seen my interior temps hitting over 100 F, once up to 149 F! when I forgot to use Vent mode on my app.

The ports start working again at some point later. Not sure if it's when the M3 goes to sleep, when it cools down, or by the next morning. But they do work again until the next episode.

I await a service visit July 20th to see what can be determined and fixed. I'll be sure to report back with any news.

Started happening to my M3 a couple for software updates ago car is 2019
I noticed my Taptes wireless phone charger wasn't charging my phone
Some days it would

Paying more attention to it I noticed the phone charger would work (LED indicator on)
until I removed the phone from the charger. Placing the phone back on the charger the LED charging
indicator would not come on. I could see the LED power indicator on my SSD drive connected to the
other USB port was still on and recordings still accessible. I swopped the SSD drive to the USB outlet the
phone charger was connected to, no LED power indicator on the SSD, drive not detected by the car.
the USB port was dead

As a test I removed all USB splitters and connected only one port of the Taptes wireless charger and SSD drive to individual car USB ports and rebooted the car. wireless charger LED on SSD LED on
SSD drive detected. Removed my phone from the wireless charger and placed it back again
on the wireless charger. No LED port was dead again, SSD still working.

I removed Taptes wireless charger and used phone charger to power it
it was charging my phone with no issues. Removed and replaced my phone dozens of times
it continued working, charging my phone.

I connected USB cable from the car to my phone, it charged the phone for a day or so
then stopped, same issue USB port dead next day it was back again.

Had service check the USB ports when I was having another issue fixed
they couldn't find anything

I was hoping 2020.24.6 would fix the issue, it's still the same :(

Guys, those USB ports aren't great at providing data and power together. I feel like these USB hubs makes things worse especially with people plugging in few items to charge off of that measle USB A standard. I'm gonna guess 5V 1amp at best?

Just an update on mine, it's been at the service center for 5 days, and I still don't have it back. From what they have said they are not sure whether it is a USB hub issue (for the front) or the computer itself. To rule both out they are replacing both and hopefully that fixes the issue but nothing is guaranteed.

It's definitely a weird issue and in my case it was odd because it didn't work, then started to work for a few days, then stopped working again randomly...hopefully I'll be able to provide another update in a few days once my vehicle is returned.

I am having the same issues with my M3 pretty much ever since I tried using the dashcam feature. Sometimes it fixes itself overnight and sometimes I manually fix it with the restarts mentioned.

@knm3p when you took yours to get service was it broken at the time you brought it in. I have mobile service scheduled for a few weeks out and I am afraid it won't be broken when they arrive.