Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20 inch wheels and TPMS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be taking delivery of my new Model S sometime this week. I already have a set of 20 inch aftermarket wheels that I will be swapping out. In researching on how to reset the TPMS for the new wheels, it seems that the reset process makes you choose the wheel size, either 19 or 21 inch, with no option for the 20 inch. Does anyone have any advice on what to do in this scenario?

It’s a don’t-care. I went with 20s as well and can’t honestly remember whether I chose 19” or 21” during reset. I just run with 42psi all around and haven’t had any issues. I haven’t gotten any weird warnings if the pressures dropped by a couple pounds. TPMS is just a safety nanny at the end of the day.

Thanks for the info. If I had to guess, I'd say that they ask for the wheel size because there is a different pressure min/max for the different size wheels. I tried to google and can't find anything official about what the min/max are.

When I switched out my 21" stagger to 20" straight, I selected 19" on the reset at 42 psi and it worked fine. I recently had a flat and the low tire pressure light stayed on even after the flat repair. I reset the setup and selected 21" and it worked fine as well. So, like Doanster1 said, it doesn't really matter.

I heard the SC can do it for you or americas tires for free. Thats what I plan to do is switch out the 19s for 20 after market and have america's tire install the wheels with existing TPMS. i'll et them configure it since they've done alot of teslas in my area.

A week ago, I installed on my '16MS the 20" MX stagerred set with original MX TPMS. I reset to 21" wheels & it worked- no errors/warnings. Then got curious what will happen if I set the tire pressures in front @40psi and in rear @50psi (verified with a gage and also by tire pressure displayed on screen). This range of pressure worked for both 19" and 21" settings. A day ago, front driver side TPMS malfunctioned (i.e. no tire P reading) and AT/DT (Mt. View, CA where I originally bought and installed the tires) swapped my original 19" TPMS at no charge :), reset for 19" wheels and all are working again. I finally set all P @45 psi per recommended cold tire P.