Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

20% XPEL XR Black roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Schulz1983

Model Y LR AWD: Matte PPF, Vossen HF-1
May 14, 2021
High Ridge MO
For anyone wondering, this is what the roof looks like with 20% tint applied.
DD3F1066-74AC-4671-AAE1-807E2A067DF1.jpeg
E618F71C-3B95-4A97-B507-B4F89A1CFE6E.jpeg
BA0BBFBA-BE54-4BDD-8160-4F9C838CC41C.jpeg

Reactions: SDM44 and XPEL
Nice ! I was going to do same. So 20% is recommended for roof then ? I was also going to do 50% on windshield. All else is already 20%.

Noticeable heat difference from roof tint ? I keep hearing lots of people saying tinting roof wont help, its already tinted ...

Nice ! I was going to do same. So 20% is recommended for roof then ? I was also going to do 50% on windshield. All else is already 20%.

Noticeable heat difference from roof tint ? I keep hearing lots of people saying tinting roof wont help, its already tinted ...
20% on the roof results in a huge reduction of heat. Also, 20% tint allows you to see thru it. 5% if you want ultimate heat reduction but I don’t think the ability to see thru it would be great. 20% is a nice compromise. Factory tint is simply not enough for me. To much heat and light in during the afternoon drive home.

I XPEL PRIME XR PLUS everywhere in my car but the roof. I did 70 on the windshield. If I do the roof, I am going to go with 70% there too. I think other tints might be too dark and I am already going to get a lot of benefit from solar energy transmission. I am a bit concerned too where is all that blocked energy going but to the tint and the surrounding glass.

From what I understand the stock Tesla tint block a lot. The difference between 70 and 20% is only a reduction from 35>10% for solar energy but visible light goes from 67>18%. I personally like seeing the stars at night. I can see them pretty well with the 70 on the windshield. When I put my hand up to the windshield, you can really feel how much heat is rejected.

I live in Florida so sun/heat clearly is an issue but I don't want to sacrifice to much visible light just for heat refection.

Here are the specs for Xpel's tints.

I XPEL PRIME XR PLUS everywhere in my car but the roof. I did 70 on the windshield. If I do the roof, I am going to go with 70% there too. I think other tints might be too dark and I am already going to get a lot of benefit from solar energy transmission. I am a bit concerned too where is all that blocked energy going but to the tint and the surrounding glass.

From what I understand the stock Tesla tint block a lot. The difference between 70 and 20% is only a reduction from 35>10% for solar energy but visible light goes from 67>18%. I personally like seeing the stars at night. I can see them pretty well with the 70 on the windshield. When I put my hand up to the windshield, you can really feel how much heat is rejected.

I live in Florida so sun/heat clearly is an issue but I don't want to sacrifice to much visible light just for heat refection.

Here are the specs for Xpel's tints.
I see where your coming from. I’m quite the opposite. I like the 40% on the windshield and even went with the 5% strip because I don’t like all the light coming into the interior. You are correct when it comes to heat rejection. However, the tint doesn’t absorb the heat into the surrounding glass. It has ceramic in the tint to actually reject it so it won’t have an impact on glass. I didn’t like how much sun came in from the roof on the afternoon drive home. I found myself wearing a hat so the sun wasn’t shining into my eyes from above. To each their own though. I’m just glad your happy with your setup!

Thank you for choosing XPEL PRIME XR PLUS tint for your Tesla!
I am glad XPEL responded! We went with an XPEL partner in AZ for install for all our windows, except for the glass roof. They stated that the vendor (you, XPEL) does not recommend tinting the glass roof. Here exactly what they stated to me:

“XPEL (the tint manufacturer) does NOT recommend tinting the top or any sun roof/ moon roof type glass. The reason being that the tint is applied on the inside of the glass and the heat rejection properties can cause the glass to overheat and crack/brake.”

So based on your response to the OP, what is the recommendation?

Reactions: XPEL
I am glad XPEL responded! We went with an XPEL partner in AZ for install for all our windows, except for the glass roof. They stated that the vendor (you, XPEL) does not recommend tinting the glass roof. Here exactly what they stated to me:

“XPEL (the tint manufacturer) does NOT recommend tinting the top or any sun roof/ moon roof type glass. The reason being that the tint is applied on the inside of the glass and the heat rejection properties can cause the glass to overheat and crack/brake.”

I am curious to see their answer. I had XPEL XR+ on my Grand Cherokee panoramic roof for 8 years without issue. I don’t see the Tesla roof being any different. Is XPEL just covering this basis? What say you XPEL?

Reactions: XPEL

Also in arizona I did 55% on the hatch quarter and rear windows , 20% on the front doors and 55% on the roof. I used penske rapid repair, and made no issue of it.

Reactions: theluckeys
I see where your coming from. I’m quite the opposite. I like the 40% on the windshield and even went with the 5% strip because I don’t like all the light coming into the interior. You are correct when it comes to heat rejection. However, the tint doesn’t absorb the heat into the surrounding glass. It has ceramic in the tint to actually reject it so it won’t have an impact on glass. I didn’t like how much sun came in from the roof on the afternoon drive home. I found myself wearing a hat so the sun wasn’t shining into my eyes from above. To each their own though. I’m just glad your happy with your setup!
For me that would be too low on the windshield. I drive a lot at night and have people walking on sidewalks and crosswalks. I am at 55% on the fronts and they can already be hard to see unless they are wearing light colored clothes.

To be frank, I don't care if the installer says they have had no issues putting tint on the roof. If the roof cracks, and it is tinted, I am pretty sure Tesla is gong to be pointing the finger at you. I don't know about your area, but my roof gets extremely hot. I would like to know how much of a temperature differential the roof is rated to withstand. I haven't checked the temp on a hot dat but if my interior was 133 before tint and no cooling, I am sure the roof is at least that hot.

Anyone know what the cost is to replace the roof? I think that is the potential exposure here if the tinting is alleged to cause cracking and Tesla doesn't want to warranty it. If the Xpel says not to do it, it may be a valid concern OR they are just playing it safe for liability reasons.

I had a shade in blocking the roof but TBH it blocked too much light and ruined the effect of that opening and even our kid complained about not being able to see the sky anymore. That is where a light tint might be better.

Crazy how controversial this is across the internet. Some people swear the stock roof doesn’t need more tint others swear by it. Anyone in a warm climate out there able to confirm before and after differences in terms of heat coming into the car? Thank you in advance.

Crazy how controversial this is across the internet. Some people swear the stock roof doesn’t need more tint others swear by it. Anyone in a warm climate out there able to confirm before and after differences in terms of heat coming into the car? Thank you in advance.
Giant difference in MO. 110 degree day here and my climate is set at 72 degrees. Lowest fan speed in direct sun.

Reactions: acebrigade