Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

200, 300, or 400

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now that you have a full range of opinions... :)

There is a sweet spot for panels and service equipment @ 200A. However, in most areas of the US, it is legal to have multiple 200A service panels served from the base of a single service meter, as long as they are grouped together and there are no more than 6 switches to disconnect the entire service. As a result, I'd throw out the 300A option and either go with 200A or 400A depending upon the load calcs.

The other cost to consider is the installation cost by your PoCo. In my case, I'm an owner-member of the electric co-op who provides all equipment and labor to do installs and upgrades; they include the meter pan but not installation of it. As a result, I was unconstrained with cost there (although I think they would have had concern if I asked for larger service without justification). In other areas, there is a fee schedule attached to the service size that you are getting.

Your continuous load, as mentioned, is likely to be far lower than 200A, but that's today. I have a 25 kW generator, and when it was installed I did a load test of every large-scale load attached to my generator panel without it overwhelming the generator. That included 2 electric convection ovens, 12 kW emergency heat strips, hot water heat circulation pumps, both A/C compressors, well pump, full lighting, server & networking gear, my office, and other assorted loads. That worked the generator hard, but once everything was running it came in at about 55-60A (I use load shedding to back the compressors or heat strips off if the power quality diminishes). I then have a second panel to which my non-essential loads are connected -- car charging, hot tub, poolhouse/pool pump, shed, laundry, etc.

With Model S and Model X in the same home, I will have times when I am drawing 120A for car charging (80A HPWC + 40A 14-50) in addition to the rest of my loads. The load calculations easily called for a 400A service when you considered these.

In addition, most PoCo's will do a load calculation and recommendation for you as well. Talk to their engineering department, so they can plan transformer size and such for you, too.

I'd do the 400 amp service simply because the cost to get it done is always less now, these things only get more expensive later. And if you can have a single 400 amp load center that's going to be more tidy than several 200 amp load centers in a row. Also the line from the street would either need to be sized up later - a hassle - or you will end up with multiple service drops or feeds. If it's coming in via conduit, it's much harder to add additional service in it with an existing one. There may not be room in the conduit.

We currently have a 200 amp feed going into a 100 amp service. I ordered two Teslas today an S and an X and I'm going to do the 100 amp to 200 amp upgrade for now and if there are any issues I'll be calling the power company for a second 200 amp feed (EVs which are separately metered get the best rates where I'm at) just for the cars but if that regulatory/tariff situation weren't a reality id be specing the most compact 400amp load center I could find and putting each floor of out home on a sub panel and the car chargers on a sub panel.

...... Amps don't kill, volts do, and that number won't change with the increased amperage capacity of the higher rated main breaker panels.

I think it is just the opposite, Amps will kill you. High Voltage without a lot of Amps can give a pretty big tingle. Electric fences, commonly used to contain animals operate at high voltages but low amps. EDIT: I subsequently read NWDIVER's earlier post. Sorry to beat a dead horse. LOL

However, as noted, that is not a reason to undersize a panel.

Last edited: