Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

200 amp breaker on my new upgraded panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Tesla upgraded my service panel today. The old one is a 200 amp with split bus mains with a maximum 100 amp breaker.

The new panel is supposed to take a single 200 amp breaker so they can run it to the GW2 on it's way to the 200 amp distribution panel after the GW2. But when reading the max ratings, it says "not to exceed 170 amps per branch circuit".

Is this OK? Can it actually take a single 200 amp breaker?

i-sB4hjQG-X5.jpg

@sorka Looks good to me. The panel says "use 150-200A branch breakers."

The labeling on Homeline load centers and Combination Service Entrance Devices, state "use HOM, HOMA and HOMT type breakers", What is an HOMA breaker?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Square-D-Homeline-200-Amp-2-Pole-Standard-Trip-Circuit-Breaker/3467883
"branch circuit breaker"

Tesla wouldn't install the wrong one for you. Some folks on this forum take the risk, hire a 3rd party to get this done, and if not careful, create more trouble. Nice that you posted this as I am always on the lookout for EUSERC panels with >125A branch circuits. This very much helps with Powerwall installations. Feed-lugs and large branch breakers are a plus.

Last edited:
Tesla upgraded my service panel today. The old one is a 200 amp with split bus mains with a maximum 100 amp breaker.

The new panel is supposed to take a single 200 amp breaker so they can run it to the GW2 on it's way to the 200 amp distribution panel after the GW2. But when reading the max ratings, it says "not to exceed 170 amps per branch circuit".

Is this OK? Can it actually take a single 200 amp breaker?

i-sB4hjQG-X5.jpg

You're fine. The 200Amp breaker uses 4 slots, so each branch connector is only 100A.
200Amp.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Vines and sorka
Two bus lugs in parallel don't sit well with me. you can't force current to flow equally between the two, and obviously one lug can't handle 200 amps.
I would ask for a 400 amp panel be installed, plus there are panels of this size that the breakers bolt in, a single positive connection.
I don't like spring clamp connections.
i've had plugs melt with the push connection for wires... had to rewire all my plugs to the screw terminals.

Two bus lugs in parallel don't sit well with me. you can't force current to flow equally between the two, and obviously one lug can't handle 200 amps.
I would ask for a 400 amp panel be installed, plus there are panels of this size that the breakers bolt in, a single positive connection.
i've had plugs melt with the push connection for wires... had to rewire all my plugs to the screw terminals.

So I should ask them to come back and redo it with a 400 amp panel?

i would offer to pay the difference... might be $1K

the 200 amp panel with a 200 amp breaker is a certified product, but i wouldn't allow it.

if it burns down your house you could always sue the mfg, but you might not be around to do so...

Last edited:

If dual connections was an issue, it would not have gotten UL approval.
Since a single connection can handle 175A, then as long as:
The load is less than 175A
or
The second connection carries at least 25A (a 12.5%/88.5% percent split)
Everything is fine.

Also, back stab receptacles are a completely different thing from a push on circuit breaker.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
By design the bus resistance is small, so the differential resistance of the short segment of bus between the two bus prongs will be a small fraction of the total resistance, causing the current to divide equally to within the design tolerances. And the label implies that UL has tested the configuration and found it be within spec. So no problem.

Cheers, Wayne

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder and mongo
By design the bus resistance is small, so the differential resistance of the short segment of bus between the two bus prongs will be a small fraction of the total resistance, causing the current to divide equally to within the design tolerances. And the label implies that UL has tested the configuration and found it be within spec. So no problem.

Cheers, Wayne

I^2 * R

I've had two plugs melt, UL listed parts! NOTHING plugged into the outlets!!! I was pulling 10 amps on a outlet down stream... I don't trust UL listed parts and will use my own judgment.

so say the wires into the outlet have 1 ohm resistance, that would be 100 watts of heat.

I would not trust a pinch style connection with 200 amps. i would want fasteners not a pinch connector, agree what has been installed is code, but not for my house. heck i would rather see line side taps (not insulation piercing taps)!

Last edited:
I've had two plugs melt, UL listed parts! NOTHING plugged into the outlets!!! I was pulling 10 amps on a outlet down stream... I don't trust UL listed parts and will use my own judgment.
UL listing failed you once, and now they are not to be trusted. Got it.

I would not trust a pinch style connection with 200 amps.
Then you can specify bolt-on breakers for all your panels.

Cheers, Wayne

Reactions: BGbreeder
failed me twice... i'm fine with 60-80 amp pinch style breaker as they are very common place, even 100 amps. 200 amps is not common.
would it be ok to run two white romex cable to my hot water heater, each on separate 15amp breakers, it isn't the same, but similar.