Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

200 miles review: Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When it's time to change out the OK but not great OEM Michelin tires at 44k miles for my Model 3 LR AWD, I was going to order the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 3+ since I had that on my GTI and really liked it. However the Pilot AS4 was listed as available in a week on tirerack.com so I went ahead and got this instead, and I'm glad I got it. While it didn't "transform" my car like going from Pep Boys tires to this, it was way better than the stock Michelin. The day I got the tires it was raining dogs and cats in DE and the tires handled the rain with confidence. Turn in response is sharper though not the same as PS 4 summer tires but that is to be expected. The stock suspension on the Model 3 isn't terrible but not great, so I can't say the car feels like on rails but it does take corners with more grip and confidence. Noise level is slightly higher and no droning at any speed up to 80, quite acceptable.

Overall I love these tires though the only drawback is that my efficiency went down by about 10 to 15%, so I'm losing about 25 to 35 miles of range per charge, but worth the trade-off. I would highly recommend this if you want all season tires.

Drove to work this morning, a route I've done hundreds of times, and typically in this weather I get 200 to 210 wh/mile, I was getting 230 wh/mile today. So the 10 to 15% efficiency drop is there.

I put the same tires on ~1500 miles ago. Initially, I thought I was seeing an efficiency drop, but over time I've averaged out about the same. Maybe just initially the tires are sticker and some of that wears off?

It is possible I'm still seeing some less efficiency - I'm averaging 255 Wh/mi since owning the car and ~245 with the new tires, but the new tires haven't been through a winter, obviously.

Efficiency dip or not, I really like the pilot AS tires.

Any new thoughts on these? Preliminary findings on efficiency still valid? I'm not sure I'll be able to bring myself to buy another set of MXM4s. I just can't do it. Looks like these come with more tread AND have a higher treadwear rating? And they're significantly less expensive...

upload_2020-8-9_15-26-34.png

upload_2020-8-9_15-26-54.png

upload_2020-8-9_15-27-3.png

Any new thoughts on these? Preliminary findings on efficiency still valid? I'm not sure I'll be able to bring myself to buy another set of MXM4s. I just can't do it. Looks like these come with more tread AND have a higher treadwear rating? And they're significantly less expensive...

I haven't driven on the A/S 4, but the A/S 3 was a pretty good all-around tire. You will take an efficiency hit, but it shouldn't be nearly as bad as the Cross Climate. Given you just put the MPP Sports on, I think the A/S 4 will serve you better than the MXM4, which was not exactly a grippy tire (at all).

I just put the stock size all season 4's (235/45) on 18" wheels on the silver LR RWD. Only 40 miles on them so I can't say anything meaningful about range.
But, I love how much better they feel from the driver's perspective. Feels like a lot more grip and sharper responses to steering and throttle imputs. I had to do an emergency stop and thought it was noticeably faster stopping than with the MXM4's.
I am surprised they feel so good without any break in.
This is SoCal so no testing in the wet for awhile yet.
My first impression has been that the ride and noise are comparable to the MXM4 or maybe slightly better depending on the paving.
Will pay more attention to comparing between our two cars, the other still with MXM4's.

Just for laughs:
Over 22,000 miles of in town and highway usage this car has averaged 252 Wh/mile on the MXM4's
In the 40 or so miles on these tires it's been around 300 Wh/mile. (probably doesn't have anything to do with my pushing it in every corner to gauge the grip. :))
Realistically, I expect it'll take a thousand miles or so to figure out the effect on range since I won't do an explicit test.
Running them at 45PSI for comparison with the MXM4's but may drop them to 42.

• Informative
Reactions: Dolemite and mrau
I just put the stock size all season 4's (235/45) on 18" wheels on the silver LR RWD. Only 40 miles on them so I can't say anything meaningful about range.
But, I love how much better they feel from the driver's perspective. Feels like a lot more grip and sharper responses to steering and throttle imputs. I had to do an emergency stop and thought it was noticeably faster stopping than with the MXM4's.
I am surprised they feel so good without any break in.
This is SoCal so no testing in the wet for awhile yet.
My first impression has been that the ride and noise are comparable to the MXM4 or maybe slightly better depending on the paving.
Will pay more attention to comparing between our two cars, the other still with MXM4's.

Just for laughs:
Over 22,000 miles of in town and highway usage this car has averaged 252 Wh/mile on the MXM4's
In the 40 or so miles on these tires it's been around 300 Wh/mile. (probably doesn't have anything to do with my pushing it in every corner to gauge the grip. :))
Realistically, I expect it'll take a thousand miles or so to figure out the effect on range since I won't do an explicit test.
Running them at 45PSI for comparison with the MXM4's but may drop them to 42.

any updates on long term wh/mi? We just replaced the OE MXM4 on our LR AWD with Pirelli’s new Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II tire. It’s extremely quiet, rides so much better, outcrops the Conti DWS06s I put on my P3D, but GD... the energy consumption is higher than it is on my P3D with 20” rims. We drove 500 miles on Saturday and averaged almost 350wh/mi whereas before we’d average something closer to 250-260 on the MXM4. I am really shocked how the energy consumption increased so much. Tire Rack claimed these were LRR, but it sure doesn’t seem so!

I am thinking about doing a satisfaction guarantee exchange and was trying to decide on either going back with MXM4s but the new T1-spec (not sure if it will last longer or just be maybe a little more efficient) but it is $82/tire more expensive than the Pirellis or Pilot Sport 4 All Season, or $110/tire more expensive than similarly sized DWS06.
The DWS06 is much quieter than the PS4S on my P3D and rides softer, and hopefully will last longer too.

if you’d be able to update me what you’re seeing with the PS4AS I’d really appreciate it.

any updates on long term wh/mi? We just replaced the OE MXM4 on our LR AWD with Pirelli’s new Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II tire. It’s extremely quiet, rides so much better, outcrops the Conti DWS06s I put on my P3D, but GD... the energy consumption is higher than it is on my P3D with 20” rims. We drove 500 miles on Saturday and averaged almost 350wh/mi whereas before we’d average something closer to 250-260 on the MXM4. I am really shocked how the energy consumption increased so much. Tire Rack claimed these were LRR, but it sure doesn’t seem so!

I am thinking about doing a satisfaction guarantee exchange and was trying to decide on either going back with MXM4s but the new T1-spec (not sure if it will last longer or just be maybe a little more efficient) but it is $82/tire more expensive than the Pirellis or Pilot Sport 4 All Season, or $110/tire more expensive than similarly sized DWS06.
The DWS06 is much quieter than the PS4S on my P3D and rides softer, and hopefully will last longer too.

if you’d be able to update me what you’re seeing with the PS4AS I’d really appreciate it.

Recommended tires M3 Long Range, RWD

See my reply in another thread after 2500 miles.
Efficiency is about 8% or so less over a couple of freeway routes that I drive regularly.
I'll put them on our second model 3 as soon as it needs tires.
Handling is more important than efficiency for me, even on our long road trips.

Reactions: pikeman

I have the exact same tire (Plus II) in 245/40/20 on my Model S and have racked up 7500 miles now. The consumption started out close to 345 wh/mi but has fallen to 330 wh/mi (running average) which is below my lifetime average with the OEM Michelin Primacy. So you may want to give it some time if you like everything else about the tire.

(PS my lifetime average of 333 wh/mi is due to primarily high speed freeway commuting)

I just ordered these tires, after 3 weeks with a new set of Bridgestone Potenza 980AS and about 300 miles into them. The noise from those tires are absolutely horrible, sounding like a swarm of locust flying all around the car. It is sort of a droning noise that you can hear even while it's raining or turning up the music. Big hit on efficiency as well. On this particular round trip by my house (35-45 speed limit) that I've taken hundreds of times, it's normally 190-200Wh/mile. With the Potenza it is at 250. On highway the efficiency differential is even greater.

I will report back after I get them swapped out with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4.

Are you guys factoring heat consumption now that the weather is colder in most areas?
Of course. Just to be absolutely sure, I went through the trouble of mounting my winter tires (on dedicated wheels). Took a before and after drive on the same round trip, with climate control off. On my winter tires, the noise is gone and Wh/mile went back to normal.