Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2009 waiting list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unlike quite a few people here, I didn't get on the Tesla Roadster waiting list until recently (late June) but I was told that I got a pretty good production slot (high 800's). Does that sound right or do you think I should've gotten a lower or higher slot ? It probably won't matter much in the end anyway, provided that Tesla can make 100 cars a month, hopefully starting early next year.

My favorite color so far:

2727357726_62cc3ef097.jpg

I originally was a "patient buyer." Around October '07 I started worrying about the amount of money I was going to need on hand in a lump sum to take delivery on the car. So I upgraded to... er... an impatient buyer?

I don't remember the exact date I increased my deposit, but it turns out that it was within days of Tesla no longer taking '08 orders. I believe that bumped me up to around #520... #525? I forget my number. I haven't checked recently to see if my place in line has changed, but that should put me right at the tail end of the "impatient buyers" - in case anyone wanted to know where that line of demarcation is. Obviously somewhere in the 10 or 15 slots between me and SByer.

Looks like me, SByer, and SteveF should all be taking possession of our cars within the same week.

Laurent,

I paid the $5000 deposit in November of 2007 (at that time it was the only deposit they were accepting for the 2009 run). Then the additional funds in May to lock in my production slot. I have been told that I am #193 on the 2009 production list. Based your information (and what I've been told), I would say that you are just about right. I've also been told that TM will be compressing the list (to deal with those 5K folks that did not step up) and my number will probably change (yahoo!).

Even though I know it will probably be the most produced color, I'm leaning toward the radient red.

Tim

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the total number of '08 reservations taken (patient and impatient)?

I vaguely remember it being over 600. So that would make Tim M's #193 probably right around #800, and Laurent's high 800's a reasonable number?

Err... maybe. Didn't they say that they have over 1200 people on the combined '08 and '09 lists recently? Seems amazing that Laurent got a number in the 800's within the last 2 months. Go Laurent!

Perhaps his number is already post-compression that Tim M mentioned.

-g

Didn't they say that they have over 1200 people on the combined '08 and '09 lists recently?

Yes, I believe so. What I heard is that quite a few people reserved the 2009 model earlier this year, but only at the $5k level. Last month, Tesla started reminding them that they needed to make an additional deposit (like I did in June) in order to get a production slot and get on the actual waiting list. Looks like I beat them to it ! :biggrin:

I'm not sure to what extent you can "compress" the waiting list. Supposedly, the people who only locked in the 2009 price never got on the list in the first place so the only slots you get back are the ones that were cancelled. Just a guess.

Last edited:
My understanding was that they have given the 2009 5k people a certain window of time to step up to the required deposit amount. Once that window has expired, those remaining at 5k will either drop to the bottom of the list or be given a refund (if requested). I think my number was given to me allowing for those customers in front of me to still commit. If a move forward comes...I'll gladly take it!

I reserved a 2008 as a patient buyer in June '07 and ended up with number 568.

TK
I've said it somewhere before that I think the "patient" '08 buyers really end up with the best deal. The way the production ramp is expected to go, they won't get their cars that much later than the "impatient" buyers. This is certainly the case when looked at as a percentage of total wait time. They still get a first production year Roadster, yet hopefully after most of the kinks have been worked out and without having to have nearly as much capital tied up for all that time.

I do not think that Tesla has the 2 tiered waiting list set up for 2009 like they did previously. Everyone giving deposits today get on the same list in the US at least. I am not sure how the US list differs in schedule from the European one.

When Tesla first started taking orders there were different "clubs" -- Founders Series, followed by the Signature 100... I believe the former usually involved having a financial stake in the company, and both involved purchasing the car outright instead of just putting a deposit down.

When they got to setting up a waiting list for the 2008 model, they had 2 tiers based on the amount of deposit you put down. The top tier was called "Premium" and required a $50,000 deposit. These customers got lower numbers on the list and would receive their car earlier. The lesser tier (what has been posted here as the "patient" list) was a $30,000 deposit. These people would have their orders fulfilled once all of the Premium list was finished.

I believe the 2009 model year only requires a $5000 deposit, although I think some 2009 members were required to bump up their deposit to remain on the list. I think there is only one 2009 list. From what I have been told, this list will start to deliver in late Spring 2009 through late Autumn 2009, at which time they will begin delivering Year 2010. I am not sure if they have decided how long the 2009 list will be yet before they switch the model year, although 250 of that list will be destined for Europe.

Edit to add: And congratulations on your purchase decision! Welcome to the club!

Last edited:
Iwanta,

Congrats on the first step! It is pretty exciting isn't it? Just wait for the that email, followed by the phone call that says, "We're ready to slot you into production....got another $55k?" The time span, for me, between those two events was just over 6 months.

Cheers!

Tim

Just wait for the that email, followed by the phone call that says, "We're ready to slot you into production....got another $55k?" The time span, for me, between those two events was just over 6 months.

6 months ?? For me, it was barely 6 minutes, no kidding !
Two months ago, I made a $5k deposit online, next thing you know I get a call from Ted Merendino suggesting that I make an additional deposit to secure a production slot ! And I did. :biggrin:

Iwanta,

Congrats on the first step! It is pretty exciting isn't it? Just wait for the that email, followed by the phone call that says, "We're ready to slot you into production....got another $55k?" The time span, for me, between those two events was just over 6 months.

Cheers!

Tim

Sounds like the "patient buyers" are the prudent / lucky ones too.