Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Tesla Roadster (5YJRE1A18A1000933)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!
When this car was up for bid thru Insurance Auto Auction in Hawaii about 4-5 months ago, I inquired about it and spoke with the iaai manager who answered all my questions while he was at/in the car. It is indeed bricked. Will not take a charge at all. The previous owner sent them the charging cord, so they plugged it in correctly, per his instructions. They knew nothing about it, and assumed it was fine once plugged in. The dash still had a readout, but zero miles left on it. It will not accept a charge. The iaai manager told me it looked as though the owner hit a curb with the car, as one of the wheels were cracked. I then called and spoke with the tesla service manager in Hawaii, who told me this car has a salvage title from a previous accident here on the mainland (in oregon.) This is further backed by TEG's pic and the previous link. I did bid on the car but dropped out, as it went higher than I wanted to go. The high bidder went on to spend $25k on the car, plus buyer's fees and shipping back to CA. To ship it back to me all the way in NY, would have cost me 5-6k or so. Much more in total than I was willing to pay for a bricked roadster, with previous salvage history, and not knowing the extent of the previous damage, or being able to see any pic of such, until now. Had it been closer to me, I certainly would have gone and looked at it in person. But with the previous first accident history, and now a second accident with who knows the damage, and the $40k cost of a battery pack, I would not have spent that much on it. And you are right that this seller (on ebay, calls himself capitalonemotors, although he no association with capital one auto finance,) has had many salvaged roadsters over the last 5 years or so. He knows them very well indeed!

Last edited:
You guys are awesome...

so in theory (not by the description) it's been crashed 2x?

also a full battery pack upgrade is 40k? This isn't the rumored 400 mile / aero upgrade (I know I'm a noob), just a 1 to 1 replacement?

You guys are awesome...

so in theory (not by the description) it's been crashed 2x?

also a full battery pack upgrade is 40k? This isn't the rumored 400 mile / aero upgrade (I know I'm a noob), just a 1 to 1 replacement?

No theory.. go get an Vin check and see yourself for it's history.

Nobody knows what the 3.0/400 mile pack is going to cost currently. For 1 to 1 replacement, I got a quote for re-furbished ESS for ~40k (total cost includes labor) a while back.

Traditional wisdom says salvage titles are worth half of clean titles - but if you can prove the car was not wrecked and it was simply a bricked battery - I assume the salvage title on this car would cause less of a value hit.
The car was in an accident in 2010 and totaled by the insurance company. Rebuilt under a salvage title.

There have probably been more than one instance of something like this. A Roadster that may actually be repairable gets "totaled" by the insurance company, then sits around a salvage yard unplugged until the battery is bricked. So. . . Let's assumed it was actually repaired properly and fully (which is not a given) and is in good shape aside from the bricked battery and salvage title. What can you do with it? I thought about this, and here's what I came up with. . .

1. Send it to the scrap yard, since it has effectively no market value. Part it out.

2. Sell it to some sucker who doesn't understand the nature of the problem.

3. Shell out more money for a battery than the entire vehicle will be worth after the battery is put in -- and then drive it without any thought of ever selling it, so that you don't even care about the market value.

4. Put it into long-term storage and let it sit there (maybe decades) until the collector value of Roadsters (even salvaged ones) goes up enough and/or the price of a new battery comes down enough to make the numbers add up to something positive.

When I was looking for a roadster, I saw this and did some research. Since it has a 'salvage' title, Tesla will not sell any parts to anyone who buys or owns the car... so unless you have some spare Tesla parts and a battery, you are out of electrons on this car! PS... I called the "Capital Motors" or whoever has the car, and they played dumb about it... but I think these guys may be sharks circling the waters of the sea of Tesla...

Sadly, it seems that Roadster should be parted out. But the seller may be trying to find a naive buyer to realize a quick return on their investment. Parting out a car is time consuming and therefore often unprofitable, and of course after the easily removable parts are sold the owner is still left with much of the vehicle that cannot easily be disposed of. It's a sad end to glorious car...

Just an average Joe walks in the door at ~Palo Alto SC and they up and install a new battery with full warranty for a nice low price, hey, you got a problem with that?! :p
--

Not sure what you're saying or getting at.

I verified this car. Spoke with the owner, know it's scheduled to be at Carl's. And will likely be for sale. Sorry for posting about a damn near BRAND NEW roadster. Regardless of all the silly shunts that it's been in while in service. They've all been fixed well enough for tesla to allow one of the last known NOS battery packs to be fitted to the car with a salvage title... AND OFFER A 5YR warranty.

And... it's not Palo Alto. My post clues you into that one.

Not sure what you're saying or getting at.

I verified this car. Spoke with the owner, know it's scheduled to be at Carl's. And will likely be for sale. Sorry for posting about a damn near BRAND NEW roadster. Regardless of all the silly shunts that it's been in while in service. They've all been fixed well enough for tesla to allow one of the last known NOS battery packs to be fitted to the car with a salvage title... AND OFFER A 5YR warranty.

And... it's not Palo Alto. My post clues you into that one.
what's NOS stand for?

So the concept of 'jumping the queue' is foreign to you? Long-term owners having deposited $5k for new battery and waiting years are disregarded completely by TM to favor some Joe Public who just bought a Roadster who walks in the door at a Service Center and is looking to make a quick re$ale.

The ~ might be a clue too.
--

Last edited:
So the concept of 'jumping the queue' is foreign to you? Long-term owners having deposited $5k for new battery and waiting years are disregarded completely by TM to favor some Joe Public who just bought a Roadster who walks in the door at a Service Center and is looking to make a quick re$ale.

The ~ might be a clue too.
--

get over yourself.

Signed,
A roadster owner that has nothing to prove.