Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty voided

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello forum my first post.
Bought a 2023 model y clean title with only 105 miles from ID. Car was purchased from IAAI auction with clean title, I got the clean title and registered the car (awaiting to receive the clean title in my name). I have checked NMVTIS report car never declared a total loss or salvaged. Carfax shows an accident and states vehicle was title to Tesla while in inventory.
I understand if the car is totalled, or salvaged there is absolutely no warranty of any kind. This car was never salvaged or declared total loss. When I call Tesla they say it shows salvaged so no super charging or warranty. If and when I get a clean title along with carfax report and NMTVS report will Tesla allows supercharging and re established the warranty car is 500 miles now.

Hate to say this.. but title washing, by running a salvaged car (with a salvage title) through a shady auction place or three is an epidemic in the U.S..

From the sounds of it, you were promised a clean title and, frankly, looks like you've got a fraudulent one. Tesla has the original salvage determination and is not going to cooperate with the fraudsters. Or you.

Kind of like getting counterfeit money. You can't spend it, the fraudster's over the horizon, and all that.

As far as Carfax goes.. They've got that nifty fox critter on TV, but there's been consistent reports that their "reports" are often incorrect.

Hate to say this.. but title washing, by running a salvaged car (with a salvage title) through a shady auction place or three is an epidemic in the U.S..

From the sounds of it, you were promised a clean title and, frankly, looks like you've got a fraudulent one. Tesla has the original salvage determination and is not going to cooperate with the fraudsters. Or you.

Kind of like getting counterfeit money. You can't spend it, the fraudster's over the horizon, and all that.

As far as Carfax goes.. They've got that nifty fox critter on TV, but there's been consistent reports that their "reports" are often incorrect.
I did receive a clean Arizona title with Tesla being the owner so no one can and was able to wash it. The title clearly shows Tesla being the owner and it was clean I have pictures of it and it I just registered it in Cali with that title can I pm me I can share it with you

Hopefully a mod moves this post (I've reported it already) as it doesn't belong in the China area.

If it really is a salvage title car, they may be a test case for What is the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee? | CARFAX™ Customer Support Center.
The CU article, referenced in my first post, mentioned that guarantee. And stated that it has so many gotchas, back in 2008 or so when they wrote the article, as to make the guarantee worthless.

Maybe the guarantee is working now; and maybe not.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
I bought a clean carfax car. When I went to trade 5 years later, an accident showed up from before my purchase. Of course, 5 years later neither the dealer that sold the car nor Carfax cared. It seems reports take time and inventory shifts quickly. Consumers left in the dust. Your best bet is to try the carfax buyback, but I suspect they have an out based on when you ran the report, when you made the purchase, and when the title was issued. Alternatively, keep pushing Tesla. It is possible they messed up on VINs or something that could be rectified with nudging. If that fails, consider a service center salvage vehicle inspection to at least get supercharger access turned back on. No warranty but at least you get something back potentially.

It’s was a certificate of title on. Tesla’s name not certificate of origin
Interesting that Tesla would title a salvage vehicle with a clean title. With only 105 miles on it, seems to me it was probably a demo vehicle which was wrecked. Does Tesla title their demo vehicles? Meaning, was it titled before the crash? (perhaps someone who has bought a demo would know)
Louisiana has a used auto commission that handles wrongdoings with purchasing used cars. If California has something similar, you might want to get in touch.

Last edited:
Interesting that Tesla would title a salvage vehicle with a clean title. With only 105 miles on it, seems to me it was probably a demo vehicle which was wrecked. Does Tesla title their demo vehicles? Meaning, was it titled before the crash? (perhaps someone who has bought a demo would know)
Louisiana has a used auto commission that handles wrongdoings with purchasing used cars. If California has something similar, you might want to get in touch.
I would like to clarify one thing. I never said the car was salvaged or totalled there is not history of salvage the car was in Tesla inventory when it was damaged so they sent it to the auction without totalling or salvaging the car, one smart thing they did was to blacklist the car in their own system. A car cannot be salvaged retroactively, and from my understating only state agencies, insurance companies can salvage or total loss the car, that is they follow some guidelines like NMVTIS, and some other thresholds that must be met, again it’s Tesla they make up rules as they go I think. Carfax clearly states vehicle was titled while in dealers inventory. So i am the first registered owner in any states so no title washing happening

I would like to clarify one thing. I never said the car was salvaged or totalled there is not history of salvage the car was in Tesla inventory when it was damaged so they sent it to the auction without totalling or salvaging the car, one smart thing they did was to blacklist the car in their own system. A car cannot be salvaged retroactively, and from my understating only state agencies, insurance companies can salvage or total loss the car, that is they follow some guidelines like NMVTIS, and some other thresholds that must be met, again it’s Tesla they make up rules as they go I think. Carfax clearly states vehicle was titled while in dealers inventory. So i am the first registered owner in any states so no title washing happening
All that said you stated you bought it from an auction house And it was in an accident previously. Have you tried contacting the auction house (as seller) to find out what’s up?

All that said you stated you bought it from an auction house And it was in an accident previously. Have you tried contacting the auction house (as seller) to find out what’s up?
Auction house says it’s a clean title they did have an announcement clean title no fsd no super charging or warranty I guess since they made that announcement they believe they don’t have to honor anything even though they didn’t total the car. Seems as if they want to have it both ways sell it as clean title and void the warranty even though they never totaled the car or salvaged it

Auction house says it’s a clean title they did have an announcement clean title no fsd no super charging or warranty I guess since they made that announcement they believe they don’t have to honor anything even though they didn’t total the car. Seems as if they want to have it both ways sell it as clean title and void the warranty even though they never totaled the car or salvaged it
On the announcement “no warranty, no supercharging” on a 2023 with 100ish miles That was your clue to walk away from the auction!

On the announcement “no warranty, no supercharging” on a 2023 with 100ish miles That was your clue to walk away from the auction!
I agree well I am looking for guidance. Should I wait for the time and talk to Tesla or just find some way to enable super charging.
Is it ok to update the software on the car as it’s saying update available. I m kinda bummed out and I don’t know anyone that enable supercharging I know there are people that can do it I don’t know anyone.

I agree well I am looking for guidance. Should I wait for the time and talk to Tesla or just find some way to enable super charging.
Is it ok to update the software on the car as it’s saying update available. I m kinda bummed out and I don’t know anyone that enable supercharging I know there are people that can do it I don’t know anyone.
All I can advise is to keep hitting the auction site that sold you the vehicle. They are the one accountable for your issue. Second, assume this will take time and consider using some of the CCS charger options available in the interim. Those chargers don’t care about legal or otherwise. IF it’s a salvage title I suspect Tesla won’t help you much.

I was under the impression Tesla would reinstate supercharging after inspecting the car.
YMMV. I've heard reports of everything from "No Way!" to "$$$" to "Got a friend in the service department."

Near as anyone can tell, Tesla's consistent story is that they're concerned with safety issues: That is, a Tesla at a SuC going up in flames and taking the neighbors with it. The bad press would be devastating.

Besides, with a salvage title, there's cases of cars being immersed in water, which leads to corrosion, and similar fun and games.

Now, there are cases these days when a Tesla ends up in an accident and gets totaled, not necessarily because it's not repairable, but the cost of repair (given parts in short or nonexistent supply) is more than the car is worth. There's at least one story about some really persistent bugger in (I think) New England who, with two broken Teslas, managed to make one fully operational by using parts from both. I think that in that case he managed to wiggle Tesla into removing the salvage status, but am not sure.

• Informative
Reactions: JWhite65