Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty voided

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like you got exactly what was advertised and what you paid for and now you’re upset about that for some reason?
I love it when people make assumptions, if you are asking am I upset? The answer is NO life is too short car runs perfectly has only 585 miles on it, I already have a smart charger installed at home. SIMPLE question is how is it that Tesla without totalling a car or issuing a salvage brand can black list a car, and yet sell it as a clean title. I am looking to see if it could be a mistake or is it a common practice that’s all, yes the only thing I care about is the super charging incase I take longer trips, if there is a well there is a way.

No, I’m asking why you bought a car that by your own account specifically said it had no warranty or supercharging capability and now seem to want both of those things back and are surprised that Tesla is saying no.
Please read my previous post in response to what you said. Also auctions announce all kinds of bs they sell salvage as clean and vice versa. I don’t want anything that the car is not covered for but within guidelines that’s all. I was reading that some people can root the car and they can enable charging and fsd if mine isn’t covered by warranty as per Tesla and ur assumption then I can take that route. Tesla says car is salvaged but state says it’s clean title if you were me whose authority would you accept.

Tesla says car is salvaged but state says it’s clean title if you were me whose authority would you accept.
As far as the warranty and supercharging goes Tesla is the only authority that matters.

Tesla owned the car and something happened to it. Rather than fix it themselves and sell it directly, it appears they chose to dump it on an auction house and revoked the warranty and supercharging. The auction house disclosed this to you prior to bidding and you presumably paid a price for the car that accounted for those shortcomings.

Pretty cut and dry. Your warranty was not “voided” as your thread title suggests. You never had a warranty to be voided in the first place, and the auction house disclosed this before you placed a bid.

Tesla is a young company that has grown very quickly. They don't really have long standing policies like you might think. Trying to find some pattern in how they handle such things (or some history) is an exercise in futility.
Most of this stuff is made up on the fly. As long as the outcome for you is reasonable that is all that matters. Trying to find meaning to their actions is like trying to find meaning in the universe. It is not something for mere mortals to even contemplate.
The buying (and service at times) experience is sometimes absolutely horrible and yet the cars are great so we pick what we want.

Reactions: masood jan
Tesla is a young company that has grown very quickly. They don't really have long standing policies like you might think. Trying to find some pattern in how they handle such things (or some history) is an exercise in futility.
Most of this stuff is made up on the fly. As long as the outcome for you is reasonable that is all that matters. Trying to find meaning to their actions is like trying to find meaning in the universe. It is not something for mere mortals to even contemplate.
The buying (and service at times) experience is sometimes absolutely horrible and yet the cars are great so we pick what we want.
Thanks for the replies the last two replies were more geared to my question I appreciate that. If anyone knows someone In southern Cali who can help me with enabling supercharging pls let me know

I totally agree with what you are saying and I appreciate you taking that position without being mean. When I get my clean title from Cali I will talk to Tesla and see what they say. Cali is very strict about total loss and salvage they bring the state of Cali have rules that must be followed in order to void warranty

As far as the warranty and supercharging goes Tesla is the only authority that matters.

Tesla owned the car and something happened to it. Rather than fix it themselves and sell it directly, it appears they chose to dump it on an auction house and revoked the warranty and supercharging. The auction house disclosed this to you prior to bidding and you presumably paid a price for the car that accounted for those shortcomings.

Pretty cut and dry. Your warranty was not “voided” as your thread title suggests. You never had a warranty to be voided in the first place, and the auction house disclosed this before you placed a bid.
I appreciate the response. Seems like you have it out for me jk. Tesla makes very good cars but they can’t make their state titiling rules we shall see

Cali is very strict about total loss and salvage they bring the state of Cali have rules that must be followed in order to void warranty
I know in California the state rules say they have to brand the title within a certain number of days when it is declared a total loss, but it sounds like none of this happened in California, so those rules wouldn't come in to play:

Bought a 2023 model y clean title with only 105 miles from ID.

I did receive a clean Arizona title with Tesla being the owner so no one can and was able to wash it.

The question would be what are the rules in Arizona about what has to be done when a vehicle is declared a total loss by insurance. (Or maybe Idaho, but probably not since it was never titled there.)

I suspect this is the clause in the warranty that Tesla used:

1705950041414.png

Tesla probably self-insures, so when the vehicle was damaged they declared it a total loss and sold it at auction with the warranty voided.

Reactions: JWhite65
So i am the first registered owner in any states so no title washing happening
No, you are the second registered owner. (You can only be the first own if you get the certificate of manufacture, and register using that.) In this case Tesla was the first owner, since they titled it. (Maybe they used that to claim the federal tax credit?)

They don't normally title demo vehicles, because then they can't be sold as new.

I know in California the state rules say they have to brand the title within a certain number of days when it is declared a total loss, but it sounds like none of this happened in California, so those rules wouldn't come in to play:

The question would be what are the rules in Arizona about what has to be done when a vehicle is declared a total loss by insurance. (Or maybe Idaho, but probably not since it was never titled there.)

I suspect this is the clause in the warranty that Tesla used:

View attachment 1011252

Tesla probably self-insures, so when the vehicle was damaged they declared it a total loss and sold it at auction with the warranty voided.
I totally agree with you, most of what you are saying is 100% accurate about different states. The law is also clear that any car that has been declared total loss must be reported to NMVTIS as junk total loss or branded none of that happened if I m not mistaken it’s a federal agency and they are required to be notified. Again I am not sure.

The law is also clear that any car that has been declared total loss must be reported to NMVTIS as junk total loss or branded none of that happened if I m not mistaken it’s a federal agency and they are required to be notified. Again I am not sure.
I don't think that is true in all states. A lot of times vehicles are totaled not because of the damage or cost to repair, but because of the time it would take to get the needed parts, and the cost of the rental car during the wait. From what I have seen, often in those cases the title does not get branded. (At least outside of California.)

But I think that depends if self-insuring falls under the definition of being an Insurance Carrier: "An individual or entity engaged in the business of underwriting automobile insurance." I would think not, because you aren't underwriting automobile insurance, you are just paying for our own loses, no underwriting involved.

Yep, Tesla isn't required to report to NVMTIS is they self-insure: Frequently Asked Questions

What junk/salvage yards and insurance carriers are required to report specified information to NMVTIS?

Junk/salvage yards are those individuals or entities engaged in the business of acquiring or owning junk or salvage automobiles for resale in their entirety or as spare parts or for rebuilding, restoration, or crushing. This includes scrap-vehicle shredders and scrap-metal processors, as well as pull- or pick-apart yards, salvage pools, salvage auctions, and other types of auctions, businesses, and individuals that handle salvage vehicles (including those vehicles declared a total loss.)
An insurance carrier is an individual or entity engaged in the business of underwriting automobile insurance. This includes any entity that enters into a formal arrangement, typically of a commercial nature, where a fee(s), contribution(s), or other consideration is received as part of pooling the risk of loss of an automobile(s) or as part of accepting the risk of loss of an automobile(s) on behalf of another individual or entity.

For example:
  • Entities that self-insure their fleets are not required to report.
The definition of an automobile for the purposes of NMVTIS, incorporating the definition in 49 U.S.C. § 32901(a), generally covers four-wheel vehicles that are rated at less than 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight, but excludes vehicles that operate solely on rails, certain vehicles manufactured in different states by two or more manufacturers, and certain work trucks.

I don't think that is true in all states. A lot of times vehicles are totaled not because of the damage or cost to repair, but because of the time it would take to get the needed parts, and the cost of the rental car during the wait. From what I have seen, often in those cases the title does not get branded. (At least outside of California.)

But I think that depends if self-insuring falls under the definition of being an Insurance Carrier: "An individual or entity engaged in the business of underwriting automobile insurance." I would think not, because you aren't underwriting automobile insurance, you are just paying for our own loses, no underwriting involved.

Yep, Tesla isn't required to report to NVMTIS is they self-insure: Frequently Asked Questions
That’s a very insightful analysis and it seems very logical. I don’t even know if I should bother talking to them

Auction house says it’s a clean title they did have an announcement clean title no fsd no super charging or warranty I guess since they made that announcement they believe they don’t have to honor anything even though they didn’t total the car. Seems as if they want to have it both ways sell it as clean title and void the warranty even though they never totaled the car or salvaged it
If they prominently said up front before you bid or bought that it has "no Supercharging and no manufacturer warranty", then it does not look like they were trying to deceive.