Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2010 Tesla Roadster for Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until the Roadster 3.0 comes out which, being based on the new tech, will be a much better car and no one will want an old roadster except for nostalgia purposes.

This has been discussed in a few threads before but I am not so sure that the Roadster 3.0 will necessarily impact the price of the Roadster. First of all there aren't that many roadsters in the US (and it looks like we are losing 1 a month!). Second, it seems like the R3 will be a bigger version, possibly seating 4 people so it will be apples to oranges. Personally I prefer a smaller 2-person roadster to a bigger 4-person roadster. At the very least it's not like it's the same footprint but just newer technology - it's a completely different model. Finally, there may be ways to get newer lighter batteries in the R1 that will enable a longer range with better performance so the R1 can get updated without replacing it. At least that's my thoughts.

Not a sure thing CK...The Roadster is my first convertible and first 2 seater...we don't know what the config for the new Roadster will be yet...for example, if the new Roadster is 2+2 seating, I probably wouldn't be interested in it, new tech be damned...

Until the Roadster 3.0 comes out which, being based on the new tech, will be a much better car and no one will want an old roadster except for nostalgia purposes.

Agree Sir...I've never liked 4 seater convertibles...with the top down, they just don't look right to me.

Good points about possible upgrades to the current Roadster...:smile:

This has been discussed in a few threads before but I am not so sure that the Roadster 3.0 will necessarily impact the price of the Roadster. First of all there aren't that many roadsters in the US (and it looks like we are losing 1 a month!). Second, it seems like the R3 will be a bigger version, possibly seating 4 people so it will be apples to oranges. Personally I prefer a smaller 2-person roadster to a bigger 4-person roadster. At the very least it's not like it's the same footprint but just newer technology - it's a completely different model. Finally, there may be ways to get newer lighter batteries in the R1 that will enable a longer range with better performance so the R1 can get updated without replacing it. At least that's my thoughts.

This raises the question: why does the Roadster seem to have such a high wreck rate? I'm guessing that a 2-seater high-acceleration convertible tends to appeal to reckless drivers. :eek: Hopefully the same will not be true of the Model S.
The rapid acceleration coupled with the near-silent nature of the drivetrain means you can get up to speed much more quickly than you realize. In the first week of owning my Roadster I was coming up to a left turn lane that the arrow had been green for awhile - there were no more cars turning left (For TEG, turning left onto Norfolk from Hillsdale). This intersection has a red-light camera so I wanted to make sure I beat the yellow and goosed it. As I started my turn-in all 4 wheels broke loose and I slid through the entire intersection. I'm not sure how fast I was going as I was focused on keeping the car under control but suffice to say I was going a lot faster than I thought I was going. :redface:

This raises the question: why does the Roadster seem to have such a high wreck rate? I'm guessing that a 2-seater high-acceleration convertible tends to appeal to reckless drivers. :eek: Hopefully the same will not be true of the Model S.

The chassis design of the Elise consists of mostly glue and rivets

This raises the question: why does the Roadster seem to have such a high wreck rate?

Here is my $.02. Many Roadster owners were drawn to the car becase it is very green, or friendly to the environment. I have never owned a performance or a sportscar in my life. But the Roadster is VERY much a sports car and one sunny day on back country roads I hit the accelerator and in a blink of an eye I went from 30 to 70 mph just as I hit a curve with a lot of lose gravel. Fortunately no damage but it scared the begeebies out of me. Many of us are not use to such power, but it is FUN.