Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S P85 Signature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2012 P85 is going on 80k miles and it’s been great. I bought it used last year from an individual on this forum. Drive unit and battery issues are well documented, but know they’re warranted for 8 years or unlimited miles. You should note what battery pack version the car has. Look for the ID tag on the pack at the right front corner, underneath the car behind the right front tire near the suspension. The charge rate of the early packs is lower, 90 kw vs 120 kw I think, which only means you’ll spend a bit more time at the superchargers. My “A” pack has been fine and I still get about 222 miles at 90%. Other issues include door handles and the MCU (bubbles, especially in hot climates). Other than that, $45k sounds like a fair price. Feel free to take the car to a Tesla Service Center and have them inspect it. If everything checks out, it should be a great car for a long time. Good luck.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX and r1cw3b
Our 2012 has 87k miles, and it is fantastic.

Early on there were indeed some well-documented issues with almost every car. Battery contactors, door handles, noisy drive units, noisy pano seals. But they fixed all that stuff in early 2013, and our car has been awesome since. My wife's 2012 is smoother and quieter than the S I picked up about a year ago. It drives just like new.

As noted above, the most expensive bits (drivetrain and battery) are under warranty for 8 years, unlimited miles. Plus many of us got an extended warranty (which is transferable) to 100k. I wish I hadn't; the extended warranty has been a waste of money for us so far.

• Helpful
Yes, please note again that any issues were taken care of immediately, for free of course. We had two door handles that stopped working, but never any other of that stuff. The warranty is for UNLIMITED miles, meaning that unlike a gas car, it isn't grinding and vibrating itself to death going down the road. Miles mean very little. Never had tire wear or drive train issues, never had rattles, sold it at 82,000 miles to a well known EV driver. He posts on another forum of the trips he still makes.

There have been advancements every week, so buying one a month later will be old technology. But compare it with any other five-year-old car! As for "waiting" for a Model 3, Tesla reports getting 1800 orders a DAY, and the price is $49K. If you want cheaper, you wait til next fall.

I had a Signature (the first thousand cars) and loved it. It took three years before technology won out and I upgraded. It's a great car.

• Informative
I’m looking at a similar used model S. In my case buying a used 2014 from the Tesla website with a 2 or 4 year full warranty plus the original 8 year warranty just makes more sense.

What happens when your private party purchase Tesla has a major repair item needed (charger, main screen, etc.)

I can’t find a good reason to buy a used S from a private party given all of the risks.

Al

Chatting with a private seller for a P85 Signature. He wants to sell for $45K. I hear that the 2012 models is a model to stay away from. Any thoughts on that and suggestions on price.

• Informative
Reactions: b team and Snerruc
2014 Signature in Australia, so I have AP1. Red colour and white seats not available on non sig cars. I have had a drive unit and MCU replaced. Plus lots of other smaller stuff like both inner taillights for water intrusion. Would have been vey expensive out of warranty. Still the best car I have ever driven though.

Reactions: r1cw3b