Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I also am thinking of caving in for MCU2 due to the 3G planned obsolescence in February.. Could just get the LTE radio installed instead, but at that point, the MCU upgrade gives so much more (aside from losing AM/FM radio)

Just got the upgrade yesterday haven't had much time to play with it only the drive home. My initial impressions are pretty much where I was before. It's nice to have the additional speed the operation is more seamless. And for those that would make use of it the web browser now works as good as any. (I will likely use the browser on occasion now that it works it is a more comfortable and larger screen to look at for checking email etc. while sitting at a supercharger) And there is a path forward to keep your radios for an additional $500 I kept FM and XM, AM radio however is lost.

If one is not a serious gamer and is not that interested in watching movies and videos and so forth in the car then the cost / benefit didn't add up in my case. I wouldn't have done it if I didn't have other reasons to do so which is probably where you're at now seeing how 3G is going to sunset.

My local service center discounted my upgrade by $250 which is the current cost of the LTE upgrade which I had previously paid $500 for.

If your MCU is working and you have no other issues with it for $250 the LTE upgrade might be a good option.

A final note the resolution of the images rendered in the instrument cluster is much better, it is now equal to that of the center screen if that is of any value.

Reactions: pilotSteve
@tccartier , Thank you for the advice. I'm seeing LTE upgrade is only $200 + tax (includes install) via mobile service which is way cheaper than I remember. I'll probably just do that. I have the movies and games on my other cars, and I'm not into it, so you just saved me $1300. thanks!

Reactions: tccartier
I have been also on the fence for a long time, probably for the same reasons.
But I must say the MCU2 snappiness is really a relief. And voice is working great too. Web browser also: I find this quite useful to open web pages of hotels/restaurants/... from the Navigation when traveling.

Agreed. That's kind of the way I see it. But to do it just for the sake of doing it and replacing a functioning MCU1… most of the benefits were in areas that I have no interest and features that I had not used even in the existing MCU that I have

Reactions: gaswalla
Exactly what I was hoping wouldn't happen now I'm jamming up bandwidth on my home Wi-Fi updating games that I never use.. Welcome to MCU2
PXL_20211012_002612017.jpg

resurrecting this thread for us legacy owners. Tesla released "Charge Stats" on the mobile app today. Cool data - I have data from my Model 3 and Model X. Nothing for my Classic 2012 Model S. Looks like we got overlooked for this new feature?

I had just read about that this afternoon actually. But I have an Android device so have not gotten an update to the app yet. Seems like all of this stuff hits iOS long before Android so maybe in a couple weeks.

Thanks for letting the air out of my balloon 🤣 I was hoping maybe I could get a little piece of that action on my old 2012 Sig.

Still have a little hope though you did not do the mcu-2 upgrade did you? I'll see if it makes any difference with this app update.

I had just read about that this afternoon actually. But I have an Android device so have not gotten an update to the app yet. Seems like all of this stuff hits iOS long before Android so maybe in a couple weeks.

Thanks for letting the air out of my balloon 🤣 I was hoping maybe I could get a little piece of that action on my old 2012 Sig.

Still have a little hope though you did not do the mcu-2 upgrade did you? I'll see if it makes any difference with this app update.
I did not do the MCU2 upgrade... just LTE and EMMC by third party. No lame software updates like V11, but no charge stats I suppose

Last edited:
  • Informative
But I have an Android device so have not gotten an update to the app yet. Seems like all of this stuff hits iOS long before Android.
You can always download the Tesla App yourself if you don't want to wait for the Play Store to update it...

I was hoping maybe I could get a little piece of that action on my old 2012 Sig.
You can get a piece of that action if your Sig had the MCU2 Upgrade :).

• Informative
New software rolling out to those of us still with MCU1. Didn’t notice any change personally (thankful it’s not worse after update, I suppose)

New software rolling out to those of us still with MCU1. Didn’t notice any change personally (thankful it’s not worse after update, I suppose)
#METOO - I was pleasantly surprised to see this update and that nothing bricked. The major thing I did notice thus far is that the "Onwer's Manual" now seems to work now where as it has not worked at previously at all. The only other odd thing I noticed was a weird "Notice" warning to upgrade to "at least" 2021.24.26 pop-up as shown below related compatibility with the AT&T Network. It popped up despite successfully upgrade to the update that just came out 2021.24.28. I assume I am good since the update is newer than what is listed in the "Notice". One would think they would have had an "if/then" filter checking version # before popping that one up. :)

Anybody else see this?

Attachments

• Tesla_Notice_021722.jpg
    Tesla_Notice_021722.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 37
#METOO - I was pleasantly surprised to see this update and that nothing bricked. The major thing I did notice thus far is that the "Onwer's Manual" now seems to work now where as it has not worked at previously at all. The only other odd thing I noticed was a weird "Notice" warning to upgrade to "at least" 2021.24.26 pop-up as shown below related compatibility with the AT&T Network. It popped up despite successfully upgrade to the update that just came out 2021.24.28. I assume I am good since the update is newer than what is listed in the "Notice". One would think they would have had an "if/then" filter checking version # before popping that one up. :)

Anybody else see this?
Yes I got that message too. Upgraded yesterday. Still doing ok.

im Interested in sig ownership, I’m just curious what you all would tell me about what I might not be considering/sacrificing by going for a sig vs a 75D. How is battery degradation? Cost of a battery replacement? Is openpilot viable? Does MCU2 make the car worse? How are charging speeds? And anything else y’all can think of I’m so appreciative and would love to hear your brain dump

• Funny
im Interested in sig ownership, I’m just curious what you all would tell me about what I might not be considering/sacrificing by going for a sig vs a 75D. How is battery degradation? Cost of a battery replacement? Is openpilot viable? Does MCU2 make the car worse? How are charging speeds? And anything else y’all can think of I’m so appreciative and would love to hear your brain dump
First post, welcome.
You’ll find a lot of info indeed by reading the many threads.
Here some of my opinion, as a 85 from 2015 owner
- sig are the very first one, so before AP1 or older.
- Batteries are 85, which are often quiet ok from a range point of view (usually around 10% lost for the higher mileage ones)
- battery replacement is 12k for a reman or 22k for a new one
- MCU2 will only make it better, unless you value AM radio.
- charging speed for 85 batteries are highly nerfed. Depending on your need or patience, could be too slow for you. Personally we still road-trip with the car.

A 75D is way more recent, capacity degradation will be like 85 depending on mileage. But from what I understand, they kept their original SuC speeds. They are normally still under warranty.

Other differences are in the trim and options. The more recent cars have more options that became standard.

First post, welcome.
You’ll find a lot of info indeed by reading the many threads.
Here some of my opinion, as a 85 from 2015 owner
- sig are the very first one, so before AP1 or older.
- Batteries are 85, which are often quiet ok from a range point of view (usually around 10% lost for the higher mileage ones)
- battery replacement is 12k for a reman or 22k for a new one
- MCU2 will only make it better, unless you value AM radio.
- charging speed for 85 batteries are highly nerfed. Depending on your need or patience, could be too slow for you. Personally we still road-trip with the car.

A 75D is way more recent, capacity degradation will be like 85 depending on mileage. But from what I understand, they kept their original SuC speeds. They are normally still under warranty.

Other differences are in the trim and options. The more recent cars have more options that became standard.
Long time lurker, thanks for the warm welcome and the highlights! Are there any particular threads you recommend? I've tried searching words/phrases like"signature", "signature ownership", and am for some reason coming up short on finding anything like a comprehensive buying guide, but I'm confident the info is somewhere here

Long time lurker, thanks for the warm welcome and the highlights! Are there any particular threads you recommend? I've tried searching words/phrases like"signature", "signature ownership", and am for some reason coming up short on finding anything like a comprehensive buying guide, but I'm confident the info is somewhere here

I have a 2012 Signature currently at about 132,000 miles. Picked it up as a certified pre-owned unit back when Tesla treated us like customers :) just kidding, kind of. But that's for another thread. But if you have any questions I'd be more than happy to chat. Don't want to just give you a bunch of information that maybe you're not looking for, but point me in the direction of some of the curiosities you have and I'll certainly share my experiences.

The main traction pack in my car was replaced at 44k miles with what is called a b or kind of second generation traction pack that is capable of charging at up to 120 KW although since has been mentioned these cars got nerfed that doesn't happen very often only for about the first 30 seconds after you plug it in after that it quickly throttles to about 70 KW or below settling in at about 45 to 55 for the duration.

I also have updated to MCU-2 not because of issues I was having with the original MCU in the car per se. But my instrument cluster failed and it is replaced part and parcel with the hardware two upgrade so at that time it made sense.

My 100% charge level indicated range now is about 230ish miles of that you may be able to drive 200 if you drive conservatively. The pack capacity as near as I can tell "calculated from the information that the car gives me" is about 69.4 KW presently which likely makes something around 50 to 55 available.

@gaswalla May well be driving the grandfather of all signatures of those in this thread he has been a valuable resource to me personally in the past. I've learned from his experiences. My car is VIN number 162 so it is fairly early production and still going strong as my daily driver and only vehicle. I certainly wouldn't be afraid of buying a used one. I would buy the car again today. However my expectations for it would not be the same as they were, not a bad thing but the cars capabilities have diminished in terms of range and more importantly charging speed.

A lot of the range issues have been mitigated due to an increasing number of superchargers and or other charging opportunities coming online but the charging speed is what it is.

Well I guess that went longer than I had planned 🤣 but anything specific reach out either in the thread preferably so we can all learn or in a PM if you choose to take it offline.

Reactions: Sig72 and ATXWheels
The things I rmiss about owning my 2012 Sig is the Sig Red color and rear wheel drive only with the traction off switch. Most everything else can be upgraded to a point but those 2 are unique and fun.
Good luck.