Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S Signature Cars

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know if this is one I can replace myself..... Thanks Sig 821

Attachments

• unnamed-2.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 338
Hi All,

I recently received this error myself on my Signature about three weeks ago. Error code is BMS_w176. I have a pending appointment with Tesla and they are asking for $240 to diagnose the error. Even though it appears to be a very specific error and the cost of the fuse and associated replacement labor should be known (very well) by now, Tesla refused to provide an estimated cost for parts and labor. Would love to hear from others as to their experience with this error, especially from those with an A-series battery like mine. Thanks to @aix93 for responding to a private message on this a few weeks back.

@wk057
@Recell

Hi All,

I recently received this error myself on my Signature about three weeks ago. Error code is BMS_w176. I have a pending appointment with Tesla and they are asking for $240 to diagnose the error. Even though it appears to be a very specific error and the cost of the fuse and associated replacement labor should be known (very well) by now, Tesla refused to provide an estimated cost for parts and labor. Would love to hear from others as to their experience with this error, especially from those with an A-series battery like mine. Thanks to @aix93 for responding to a private message on this a few weeks back.

@wk057
@Recell
Did you have the "power switch" proactive service done ont his pack by Tesla at some point after 2015? Because otherwise your pack shouldn't even have a fuse with a one-time-use battery in it...

Anyway, we'll be seeing a LOT more of these as time goes on... there's at least 100,000 cars out there that will need the battery-powered fuse replaced, which I think is supposedly good for 9-10 years.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
Did you have the "power switch" proactive service done ont his pack by Tesla at some point after 2015? Because otherwise your pack shouldn't even have a fuse with a one-time-use battery in it...

Anyway, we'll be seeing a LOT more of these as time goes on... there's at least 100,000 cars out there that will need the battery-powered fuse replaced, which I think is supposedly good for 9-10 years.
I don't think the car ever had this service, but I'm trying to verify with Service via chat. I called a few times in early and mid 2016 to request it, but the response was that Service remotely diagnosed the car and that the car did not need the upgrade. This surprised me, being the owner of an A pack. Thanks for raising this issue.

To @optical8 's point, can you verify that the pack would have to be dropped to replace the fuse for this error?

@wk057 , you are an amazing resource to this community and thanks for your massive contributions.

Turned out to be a bit more complicated then expected. To get to the fuse they had to first remove the battery. While they had it out they also replaced the ASY coolant valve that was leaking. Parts cost 340.00 for the fuse pack, 273.00 for the coolant fix/replacement and they only charged 135.00 for labor for a total cost of 596.00. It took them the better part of a full day to complete and I'm pretty pleased with the service I received in Jacksonville. Hope this helps

I'm curious whether other Signature owners besides Optical8 have recently had the battery fuse replacement? I am guessing we are all due for the service by now. It seems that the pricing of the estimates issued by Tesla is all over the map, for both the cost of the fuse and the associated labor. The estimate for my car is $1,027 or 58% higher than for Optical8 AND no coolant fix/replacement as referenced above. Moreover, this difference cannot be attributed to labor cost. If there are examples of others recently getting the fuse replacement, I would appreciate your posting about it.

Fellow Signature Owners--My BMS w_176 error (replace HV battery fuse) has mysteriously cleared itself, and this was not after any software updates. I'm curious if anyone else had this happen? Tesla Service says that I should still have the fuse replaced, but I wonder if the clearing of the alert could be the result of a Tesla engineer determining that some Signature vehicles have the "original/non-powered" fuse that the prolific and highly knowledgeable @MP3Mike recently mentioned in a 8/31/23 post?

Dear Fellow Signature Owners:

It seems that my dearly beloved 2012 Signature Red Model S might be nearing its end. In October, another driver sideswiped me and their insurance company (Mercury) accepted fault. I was not able to get the car into the body shop until November 28th. Just yesterday, Mercury informed me that they considered the claim to be a total loss, but they have not made any offer yet. The car has just under 83,000 miles and never had a single battery error. The car also has MCU2 and FUSC. It seems like many Signature Red cars over the years have sold for a premium price. I'm curious if anyone has recommendations for approaching the negotiation with Mercury and for putting values on the Signature (Red) premium and FUSC. When I was hit in October, I had been considering Tesla's then-existing offer to transfer FUSC to a new Model S or X or Y.

Feel free to post or DM. I'm grateful for any help or advice.

Best,

Greenbert

Keep a Sig Red car on the road if you can, especially if you've got MCU2 and FUSC. I believe Tesla changed their rules lately about salvage cars and supercharger access, so if you can get it back on the road even with a salvage title (and you keep FUSC access) you should do so. If that's not feasible, get FUSC transferred over to a new Model S in Ultra Red- that color is pretty similar to Sig Red and a brand new Model S with FUSC is pretty awesome (even though I prefer the older ones/the older interior setup)

Reactions: Nissanman