Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 Model S85 range questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noob here
I have a 2012 Model S 85. I don't know if it a D, I am pretty sure it is not a P. Approximately 54000 miles. Bought it used at 49900. Dual chargers 80A. I think I have a REAL old one. Last 5 of VIN are P02618.
What kind of range should I be getting?
Factory range is 300mi, 10% degredation per year 3mi x 7years = 21 miles, so 279...276 or so miles?
at 90% charge, it says
223 range
258 Ideal
168 Estimated

223 with average driving
258 if I drive 55
168 if I drive with the AC at 65, stereo at 11, windows down, wife browsing with all interior lights turned on and seat heater turned on.

So that's at 90%. I assume if I let it charge to 100% I would get something closer to the 276?

That seem right for an 7 year old beast that apparently is so old, it cant have autopilot, homelink, sattellite radio or performance package?

Dual chargers help with super charging, right?

TIA!!

original rated range was 265, not 300. Extrapolating 223 at 90% leads to 248 at 100%, probably higher if you balance your pack (search TMC for threads).
No 2012s had dual motors.
On-board chargers are for 120/240 AC charging and are bypassed during Supercharging. Dual chargers allow you to charge up to 80 amps on 240V, so that gets close to a mile a minute on HPWC or destination chargers.
Searching here will help you a lot.

Last edited:
I don't know if it a D
Tesla didn't start making the dual motor AWD versions until Oct 2014. Check out the D-Event video here.

at 90% charge, it says 223 range, 258 Ideal, 168 Estimated
There is a setting to select between rated and ideal range. You should leave it at rated because it's more realistic. In other words, it is still overly optimistic but not as much as ideal range. Rated means EPA rated range. The Model S 85 scored 265 mi EPA rated range. You can see it here below the car icon or here in a screenshot from Tesla's website at the time.

Because you are getting 223 mi rated range at 90%, your range at 100% should be around 223/0.9= 248 mi. Considering that the car had 265 mi at 100%, your remaining battery capacity is around 248/265= 93.5%. At 54,000 miles, the average capacity is 94.5%. See the chart here. Therefore your capacity is close to the average and perfectly normal.

As for what kind of range you should expect, check out the table here. If you look at Model S 85, it shows 218 miles at 75 mph. You should expect 93.5% of that (204 miles at 75 mph).

That seem right for an 7 year old beast that apparently is so old, it cant have autopilot, homelink, sattellite radio or performance package?

The only thing you can upgrade is the cellular data connection, assuming it is not already upgraded. Check out the video here and the topic here.

Dual chargers help with supercharging, right?

No. There are two types of charging: DC and AC. Superchargers or Chademo are DC (direct current). Other public chargers that have the J1772 plug, any home charging, and Tesla's Destination chargers are AC (alternating current). DC charging bypasses the onboard chargers built into the car below the rear seats. Therefore, dual chargers will have no effect when you use Superchargers or Chademo. Chademo is similar to Superchargers but not as fast and you need an adapter. See the details here. Normally, you wouldn't need Chademo unless there is a route you frequently travel and it happens to have Chademo but not a Supercharger, which is unlikely but check out the map on PlugShare.

The only time dual chargers would help is when you use Tesla's Wall Connector which looks like this. Some people have the wall connector installed at home and Tesla's destination chargers also use the Wall Connector. See the map here. If you have NEMA 14-50 at home, you might be thinking that maybe you too should get the Wall Connector to take advantage of the dual chargers. This is unnecessary because for overnight charging it doesn't matter whether your car tops up in 20 or 40 minutes. However, dual chargers could help when using a destination charger.

Other things you should know:
1. Switching to a Model 3 would be an excellent idea. You should consider switching. Let me know if you want a detailed comparison between Model 3 SR+ and Model S 85.
2. Your car has the original Tesla seats. Check out the video here. This is one of the important differences between older and newer Teslas.
3. Your car still has the 8-years battery and drive unit warranty. The battery warranty doesn't cover degradation but it covers failure.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
From the owners manual.
They told me to set at 75% about 175 miles for daily.
And 240 for long trips.

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 59