Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 85 vs. new 70D observations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well my trade in number after inspection just came in almost $8k less than the estimated number. So unless they can close that gap, I'll be in my 85 for a while longer.

Get a quote from Carmax and if it's higher see if Tesla will match it. My quote from Tesla was about 40% less than Carmax and Tesla matched it :). Maybe it's a year end thing, who knows.

Well my trade in number after inspection just came in almost $8k less than the estimated number. So unless they can close that gap, I'll be in my 85 for a while longer.

If you don't mind sharing - what was the offer from tesla? I'm also on the fence on buying a cpo S85 in the low 50k range but the sales advisor is on the lookout for a 70D with my basic option reqs for sub 70k which he said he's seen recently and expects to see again soon.

If you don't mind sharing - what was the offer from tesla? I'm also on the fence on buying a cpo S85 in the low 50k range but the sales advisor is on the lookout for a 70D with my basic option reqs for sub 70k which he said he's seen recently and expects to see again soon.

$53K for my completely loaded S85 w/38K miles on it. This takes into account a $4500 deduction because I sold my 21s that I bought with it (they're going to give me the 19s on it that I bought with the winter tires and put new 21s on it to match the original build), a deduction for a scrape on the back quarter-panel/wheel well and some scraped on the front bumper which they say they will fix before putting it out there for sale. Writing it all out, it actually doesn't seem so bad. The full $4500 deduction for the 21s is a killer, though...especially because I ended up buying 7 21s (including what came on my car) during the two years I owned it. After the third bent rim, I gave up and sold them to a guy in LA. For those considering a CPO, they put my car through a 2 hour inspection on the lift, etc and claim they're going to replace both bumpers....so if you go the CPO route I think it's safe to say that you are getting a great product.

Another factor between 70D and 85D with respect to supercharging is that the 85D may allow you to skip a supercharger stop altogether.

Disclaimer: this is from my experience from planning a trip with evtripplanner.com - not actual road trip experience.

We've driven our S85 (now with about 251 at a full charge) to DC and NYC with ease and options as to where we'd stop. I think we'd stop at the same locations in the 70D - it may just take longer to charge (though with kids...we're always at the chargers longer than we need to be anyway). If we are going any further than DC - we're flying. I think the 70D will be more than adequate. And, from what it says I actually get a tiny bit of an increase in performance moving from an 85 - 70D. Not bad.

I recently had a pair of newer (to me) loaners (vin's ~ 40k and 50k). Both cars had many more options and newer features which were nice, but regarding "build quality" I wouldn't have noticed much of a difference. One thing that I did notice, which could go either way, is that the later cars have swapped out the leather/vinyl covered lower B-pillar interior panels for plastic. This looks/is cheaper, but will hold certainly hold up better over time.

I recently had a pair of newer (to me) loaners (vin's ~ 40k and 50k). Both cars had many more options and newer features which were nice, but regarding "build quality" I wouldn't have noticed much of a difference. One thing that I did notice, which could go either way, is that the later cars have swapped out the leather/vinyl covered lower B-pillar interior panels for plastic. This looks/is cheaper, but will hold certainly hold up better over time.

Though a 40-50K VIN is much newer than my car, I don't know if there was that much of a difference from 20K VIN - 40K VIN. I am comparing a 19K VIN to a ~120K VIN.

$92K, but only 50 miles on the odometer. I think it's basically new. I was told that 50 miles was the lowest/default on the listings when the car has very few miles.

Congrats. Were there any other options besides what you listed in your signature? It seems like the inventory price was pretty much the same as buying new.

BTW, minor "sebzero" typo in your signature.

Congrats. Were there any other options besides what you listed in your signature? It seems like the inventory price was pretty much the same as buying new.

BTW, minor "sebzero" typo in your signature.

Thanks for the heads up on the typo!

Those are all the options. It's basically everything you can have in a 70D outside of 21" rims, Air Suspension and 3rd Row Seats. I did love the air suspension in my 85, but it was something I could live without. The third row novelty wore off quickly with the kids and with the loss of Frunk space, I thought having that extra storage would be nice. Don't get me started on 21s...I've spent more money on those than I ever care to think about. If I ordered new I would have probably traded the cyclones for air suspension, but I get delivery before year end and the benefits of the tax credit earlier.

It's a $700 reduction in price from new. They waived my shipping fee (Merry Christmas) and threw in the $1K referral (even though I am trading in). So, I am paying $91K, actually.