Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model S - No Defrost vents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Early cars (including our 2012) did not come with defrost vents on the dash...air just came out of the small holes in the dash by the windshield.

Some people complained that the defrosting wasn't good enough, so Tesla offered a free vent retrofit. I got it, and defrosting did seem to improve. The vents are more reflective, however, so you get more dash glare. Not everybody wanted it.

I have noticed on my search of a CPO car that some 2013 models do not have the vents in the dash (bottom of windshield) that would be used for defrosting.

Is this a big deal?
Has anyone had any experience with this?
Is there any other difference that I should look for?

Did not see it noted here
Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

The 2012 and early 2013 have vents but they are hidden and small - there is an upgrade available for those up north that was offered to us. I never got it because in Dallas the defrosters were adequate for my infrequent use.

Reactions: bharned3
Early cars (including our 2012) did not come with defrost vents on the dash...air just came out of the small holes in the dash by the windshield.

Some people complained that the defrosting wasn't good enough, so Tesla offered a free vent retrofit. I got it, and defrosting did seem to improve. The vents are more reflective, however, so you get more dash glare. Not everybody wanted it.
Exactly! My 2012 Sig has the original vents. The first year (waaaay back with version 4 software) I noticed the defrost was not very effective and I had to keep the fan speed bumped up high so the windshield stayed clear (of condensation).

I heard that Tesla offered a kit to install the large louvers but they looked ugly to me. So I stayed with the original and put up with running the fan on high. Then at some point a software update (v6? don't remember) changed something about the air balance and I've never had a problem since with fogging. [the magic of a software updatable car!]

The clean dash just always looked so much better than those ugly vents.

fast forward to 2016: my new S 90D is "back to the future" with a clean dash (no ugly vents) and it works great! So I think they will apply the kit if you want it, but unless you need very powerful defrosting (I live in the NW where snow is only occasional) I think the original design, with current software, is the sweet spot.

Reactions: Cyclone