TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

2013 Model S - No Defrost vents

Discussion in 'Model S' started by bharned3, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. bharned3

bharned3 Member

I have noticed on my search of a CPO car that some 2013 models do not have the vents in the dash (bottom of windshield) that would be used for defrosting.

Is this a big deal?
    Has anyone had any experience with this?
    Is there any other difference that I should look for?

Did not see it noted here
    Model S - Options by Year - Tesla Motors Club Wiki

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Early cars (including our 2012) did not come with defrost vents on the dash...air just came out of the small holes in the dash by the windshield.

Some people complained that the defrosting wasn't good enough, so Tesla offered a free vent retrofit. I got it, and defrosting did seem to improve. The vents are more reflective, however, so you get more dash glare. Not everybody wanted it.

3. mark

mark Member

The 2012 and early 2013 have vents but they are hidden and small - there is an upgrade available for those up north that was offered to us. I never got it because in Dallas the defrosters were adequate for my infrequent use.

• Like x 1
  4. bharned3

bharned3 Member

Okay so there is airflow just not as much. Thanks for clarifying I fell a littler better now.

5. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

My CPO is the original design and awful at defrosting - I'll see if the SC will do anything about it.

6. pilotSteve

pilotSteve Member

Exactly! My 2012 Sig has the original vents. The first year (waaaay back with version 4 software) I noticed the defrost was not very effective and I had to keep the fan speed bumped up high so the windshield stayed clear (of condensation).

I heard that Tesla offered a kit to install the large louvers but they looked ugly to me. So I stayed with the original and put up with running the fan on high. Then at some point a software update (v6? don't remember) changed something about the air balance and I've never had a problem since with fogging. [the magic of a software updatable car!]

The clean dash just always looked so much better than those ugly vents.

fast forward to 2016: my new S 90D is "back to the future" with a clean dash (no ugly vents) and it works great! So I think they will apply the kit if you want it, but unless you need very powerful defrosting (I live in the NW where snow is only occasional) I think the original design, with current software, is the sweet spot.

• Like x 1
  7. bharned3

bharned3 Member

I live in Texas so it is not a big deal knowing that it does have hidden vents in there somewhere. Love that about the software updates as well. Looking forward to whatever CPO I end up with

• Like x 1
  8. Nosken

Nosken Member

Ironically, newer cars have gone back to the hidden vents, and they seem to work fine.

• Like x 1