Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 Model s repair advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 Model S heat stopped working a few weeks ago and the motor is making a loader whine below 60mph. Just took it the the service center and they say it will be $2300 for the heat/ac and $6000 for the new drive unit. The car has about 188,000 miles on it. I am just wondering if it’s worth fixing or not. Battery was replaced with a refurbished unit at about 87,000miles. And it will still do about 200 miles at full charge.

it’s really up to you. If it were me I’d sell it for parts and get a new car. But that is just me. If you still like Tesla’s the rwd 3 is an economical option you could get for 37k and then subtract what you get for S.

Upvote 0
The average age of cars on the road today in the US is 12 years. To be the average, that means there is a lot of cars much older than 12 years and way more than 188K miles still running.

Having to throw away Tesla's around 10 years old sure doesn't seem to live up to the mission.

Upvote 0
The average age of cars on the road today in the US is 12 years. To be the average, that means there is a lot of cars much older than 12 years and way more than 188K miles still running.

Having to throw away Tesla's around 10 years old sure doesn't seem to live up to the mission.
I would prefer not to. I have had the car since 2018 and I love it. I am concerned that this is just the beginning of issues though. I guess the major concern is the HV battery. If I knew it will hold out for a few more years I would do it.

Upvote 0
I would prefer not to. I have had the car since 2018 and I love it. I am concerned that this is just the beginning of issues though. I guess the major concern is the HV battery. If I knew it will hold out for a few more years I would do it.
Have you reached out to Electrified Garage in Florida? I see you are not too far from them. Might be cheaper even if you had to ship the car.

Reactions: cmarshack
Upvote 0