Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 (Dec) S85 with AP1 - 39k miles ($48,500)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2014 Model S 85
Blue
Late December build
AP1
Tech Package
Air Suspension
Panoramic Roof
Power Liftgate
Parking Sensors
Leather Seats (not nextgen)
Premium Interior Package (I think this is lighting, but I was only told "premium interior package" - ???)
Power Folding Mirrors

I have a deposit on this car at a dealership in Atlanta. Unfortunately, my wife is not crazy about the blue. Also, the warranty is good for 10,500 more miles and 14 months, but you can NOT buy and extended warranty on the car from Tesla since it was sold by a dealership.

Before I let them know I don't want it, I figured I'd let everyone here know about it in case someone else likes it.

PM me if interested.

Here's a screenshot of the carfax.

upload_2018-1-16_14-29-39.png

upload_2018-1-16_14-30-41.png

That dealership is short on info......does that car have single or dual chargers on board ? NO where does anyone mention the existence of the AP1 ....?? And tell your wife that the color combination is a very classy look.....beautiful !! Too bad the car is in Georgia ? Oh and they got the battery/drivetrain warranty wrong !

That dealership is short on info......does that car have single or dual chargers on board ? NO where does anyone mention the existence of the AP1 ....?? And tell your wife that the color combination is a very classy look.....beautiful !! Too bad the car is in Georgia ? Oh and they got the battery/drivetrain warranty wrong !

I confirmed the options with Tesla directly. What I listed above is what is on the car - so I am assuming it has the single charger.

Also, note that there are probably 50 Teslas in the entire state of Georgia (ok, I'm just making up that number, but it's not many). Dealers have no idea what these cars are or how to determine what options are on them. When I asked this dealer if the car had AutoPilot on it, he had no idea what AP was. In fact, if you look at the other Tesla they have listed, it is a 2014 pre-AP car. It has about 3000 miles more than the AP car. They are asking $1000 less for it. Obviously they thought the cars were exactly the same with the miles being the only difference.

• Informative
Reactions: thegooch49
opps, sorry for the confusion. This is a great deal for an AP1 car still in warranty. Btw, if you don't like the color you can always spend couple thousands to have it wrapped to the color of your choice.

The biggest hold back for me on this car has been that you can't buy the extended warranty. The other issue I have is that the closest SC to me is 150 miles away - so no ranger service. I'd have to drive 2 hours for any work I needed.

Not to mention, it's scary as hell to spend $50k on a car when you've always been a person who thinks you should NEVER put much money into things that depreciate. I've just never spent much money on cars. But man, I want a Tesla BAD!!!

SOMEBODY buy this car and lease it to me for 3 months - I'll deliver it to you in California or Colorado, or wherever in perfect condition! Then I'll get to see if the car is everything it is in my mind, and you will get the car for cheaper, and delivered for free. 1000 miles per month - 3000 miles total (excluding delivery to you).

EDIT to add - I think even a 1 month lease would tell me all I'd need to know.

Last edited:
Their website tells a different story.......if indeed it has AP1 then of course there is parking sensors. By their listing the suspension is not air cushion but ordinary coil/shock . And nowhere do I see mention of dual chargers so I suspect it has a single charger on board. Your lease idea is novel but my insurance company would triple my premium, and I would add considerable more white hair on my head then I already have.

Their website tells a different story.......if indeed it has AP1 then of course there is parking sensors. By their listing the suspension is not air cushion but ordinary coil/shock . And nowhere do I see mention of dual chargers so I suspect it has a single charger on board. Your lease idea is novel but my insurance company would triple my premium, and I would add considerable more white hair on my head then I already have.

LMAO about the lease idea. How about this.......I buy it, pay the sales tax on it here in Georgia, drive it for 3 months, and sell it to you for $52k at that point? :cool:

As far as what the dealership has listed on their website, read through this entire thread to understand why you can't rely on this dealership's listing (to sum it up, no dealership in Georgia knows anything about a Tesla, there's only like 50 Teslas in the entire state).

My list of options came directly from Tesla - but you should confirm them with Tesla yourself.

SOMEBODY buy this car and lease it to me for 3 months - I'll deliver it to you in California or Colorado, or wherever in perfect condition! Then I'll get to see if the car is everything it is in my mind, and you will get the car for cheaper, and delivered for free. 1000 miles per month - 3000 miles total (excluding delivery to you).
Have you considered renting one on Turo or taking over someone's lease (search on this forum, some people are looking to offload leases with as little as 4 months to go because they want to upgrade or other reasons).

Have you considered renting one on Turo or taking over someone's lease (search on this forum, some people are looking to offload leases with as little as 4 months to go because they want to upgrade or other reasons).

Until Jan 1 of this year, in Georgia, you had to pay ad valorem on the full retail value of a car when you leased it (not matter how long the lease) - 7%. If you turned it in when the lease ended, you paid nothing else. If you decided to buy it, you paid the taxes again on the pay off amount. This made it unrealistic to lease cars for less than 4 years in Georgia - and definitely couldn't take over a short term lease.

Fortunately, starting Jan 1, the laws were fixed and we pay taxes on the monthly lease payment. That makes your idea of taking over a lease much more attractive. I might just have to keep an eye out.

As far as renting one - that's not going to happen in Savannah, GA!!!

As far as renting one - that's not going to happen in Savannah, GA!!!
You mentioned being willing to deliver it to any state, and if that is so, you can rent in any state. Back in 2016 I met a guy at the Supercharger who was traveling with his wife and kids across the country in a Turo rented Model X (he said he has a Model S but wanted to try out Model X for a trip), which tells me there are people on Turo who will rent you a car for out of state use. I've never used Turo myself, so just going on what I heard.

• Informative
Reactions: Buddyroe
Small detail, but whoever told you that stretched the truth a little (picture is cut off, so it's either November or January since it ends with a "1"). My guess is November.
View attachment 273971 ):

Ok, now I am REALLY confused. I got my hands on the original window sticker for this car, and it says "Date of Manufacture: 02/2015".

I have confirmed the VIN over and over and it matches. How could the Date of manufacture on the car plate (the pic you showed here) differ from what's on the window sticker. And, the carfax shows the in-service date as March '15 and Tesla confirmed this.

So, which is right? The 2014, or the 2015? And how do I know for sure what year car this is? Carfax says 2014, but the window sticker never says the model year.

upload_2018-1-19_12-43-15.png

Ok, now I am REALLY confused. I got my hands on the original window sticker for this car, and it says "Date of Manufacture: 02/2015".

I have confirmed the VIN over and over and it matches. How could the Date of manufacture on the car plate (the pic you showed here) differ from what's on the window sticker. And, the carfax shows the in-service date as March '15 and Tesla confirmed this.

So, which is right? The 2014, or the 2015? And how do I know for sure what year car this is? Carfax says 2014, but the window sticker never says the model year.

View attachment 274380

VIN says 2014. Maybe it was on hold for a long time, or part delayed between BIW and final? So VIN was assigned in 2014, but didn't get out of Fremont till 2015? Date of Manufacture on window sticker may be the starting point for warranty.