Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Model S 60 to S 85 battery upgrade?

FB49

Mar 18, 2019
Whidbey Island Washington
In 2019 we traded in our low mileage 2014 Model S 60 and bought a new Model 3 Long Range - Dual Motor. Is it possible that after trading it in with Tesla, they could have performed an electronic upgrade on the M60 to make it a M85 using their over-the-air update wizardry? It seems to me such an upgrade would make the car more valuable for resale as a M85 rather than a M60? Just curious.

pabla

Oct 17, 2016
Vancouver
In 2019 we traded in our low mileage 2014 Model S 60 and bought a new Model 3 Long Range - Dual Motor. Is it possible that after trading it in with Tesla, they could have performed an electronic upgrade on the M60 to make it a M85 using their over-the-air update wizardry? It seems to me such an upgrade would make the car more valuable for resale as a M85 rather than a M60? Just curious.
No, a 85kWh is a totally different battery, it would require a full swap. Probably other hardware too. It would cost much more to swap the battery and you wouldn't get that money back in resale value

Reactions: FB49

ev-now

Jul 30, 2015
Denver, CO
2014 60kWh were indeed hardware limited, not software. Tesla would not be modding. I thought the onboard charging, and the larger rear motor was actually fine with the 85kWh battery - and that at least one person hearabouts used to offer that upgrade using write-off reclaimed battery packs.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC