Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Model S clogged sunroof drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Noticed a sunroof leak the other day when parked nose down on my incline driveway. Found out my front driver side drain plug is clogged. I’ve tried to use a drain cleaning tool on from Amazon and a plastic simmer cord but they both only go in about an inch and stops. I also tried twisting as well as trying different angles? It does the same thing in the passenger side that isn’t clogged.

I’ve also tried some canned compressed air with no avail.

I got a little trickles one time with some soapy warm water, but I haven’t been able to replicate it. Anyone else have a suggestion on how to get this thing unclogged without calling the service center?

guardair-compressor-accessories-970rt-64_1000.jpg

I’ve tried to use a drain cleaning tool on from Amazon and a plastic simmer cord but they both only go in about an inch and stops. I also tried twisting as well as trying different angles? It does the same thing in the passenger side that isn’t clogged.
Anyone else have a suggestion on how to get this thing unclogged without calling the service center?
That’s because the draining tube has 90 degree angle at front (by the way there are rear draining tubes as well) and it’s wise not to use high pressure at once. You might get that hose disconnected from the roof part, not to worry as it’s fairly easy to fix this by removing the A-pillar cabin panel. See photo:

21928F6A-E799-46B0-98A5-E647638C1264.jpeg

I had a little piece of wood clogging my drain, so I could not push it through. I lowered the roof liner to remove and clean the drain. Pretty easy to do:

I had a little piece of wood clogging my drain, so I could not push it through. I lowered the roof liner to remove and clean the drain. Pretty easy to do:

I’ve just taken the sill trims off and found the ends of the drains just lying there. If they weren’t clogged they would just drain on top of the sill and into the foot tray. I assume this is wrong and they should be threaded into the door pillar?

I’ve just taken the sill trims off and found the ends of the drains just lying there. If they weren’t clogged they would just drain on top of the sill and into the foot tray. I assume this is wrong and they should be threaded into the door pillar?
Yeah I think I bumped my rear one a couple weeks ago when hooking up trailer wiring. And it came off. Seems those hoses are just sitting on the drains. Not much holding them on at all.

I saw that tube end as well when I had a look under the sill and behind the side carpet section. I believe that is different than the roof rail draining tube. I think this is maybe for draining something inside, behind the dashboard. Windshield? You can test your roof rail draining by pouring water into the tubes at front to see if the water drips behind the front wheel.