Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 sunroof drain plugged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night was our first heavy rain where my car was parked in the rain. Came out to a small puddle. Was able to absorb the water.

This morning in the light I opened the sunroof. Cleaned the rails and found the passenger front drain plug is clogged. I searched the internet and was told to thread plastic tubing down to clear the plug. It goes in about an inch and stops. It does the same thing in the drivers side that isn’t clogged (tested)

I’ve used compressed air as well. Anyone else have a suggestion on how to get this thing unclogged? (Myself. Don’t want to have to take it to tesla to lay $200 for them to fix it if I don’t have to)

Yikes! I'll have to clean our my drains as well; I've never done it before and I'm reminded of the sunroof drain issues I had in my 2001 VW Golf TDI. Luckily I had rubber Monster mats at the time, but I remember the headliner and driver seat cushion got really soaked. Never again.

Yikes! I'll have to clean our my drains as well; I've never done it before and I'm reminded of the sunroof drain issues I had in my 2001 VW Golf TDI. Luckily I had rubber Monster mats at the time, but I remember the headliner and driver seat cushion got really soaked. Never again.
Just pour some hot water and make sure they’re draining. I waited until it was too late.
I ended up having to pull the a pillar. The sun visor off and part of the headliner to get it fixed.

Reactions: maximizese
I use a syringe with rubber end on top filled with hot water so you can use some force to push the water go to the drain, works perfect. This way you have a little more feeling than compressed air.

there are in total 4 drains so on every corner. If you got damp spots on the inside of your roof you need to reseal the hose because it is leaking.

There is also possibility to use fish tape (electrical wire puller) to get through that twisting pipe. You do not want to damage it as otherwise the water will get in. As @Gtech pointed out there are actually four drain pipes at each corner. I haven’t yet cleaned the rear ones.

EC7ACED6-D463-4128-B115-FFCD52BEEAFD.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
There is also possibility to use fish tape (electrical wire puller) to get through that twisting pipe. You do not want to damage it as otherwise the water will get in. As @Gtech pointed out there are actually four drain pipes at each corner. I haven’t yet cleaned the rear ones.

View attachment 868090

If you have the gen2 sunroof you can cheat by removing the 2 long covers to expose the rear drains.

Gen1 is little bit more difficult, you can see the drains when shining a light between the two rubber strips. Poor some water in and you can see if they work or not

Reactions: KalJoMoS
Hmm, I've got a leak above my rear passenger window on my 15 S85D...
How do you determine if the hose is clogged or disconnected?
I was in that back corner attaching a trailer harness wiring sensor this past weekend(though it's also been warm enough that I've been opening the sunroof in the last couple weeks).
Found the hose(I think) and it feels really loose but I can't reach very far up into the headliner...
What's involved with getting the headliner down enough to check the connection?

In this post is clear view how the drain hoses are attached on the car, I presume the same for rear ones. As looking on the photos it’s quite obvious that they can detach very easily. Sorry, can’t give any clues how to remove the headliner but remember one have had success only by pulling the inner edge to see the hose.