Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 MS60 Rated Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well,

I've been going back and forth with Tesla on this issue and it seems they don't have the same story.
One person told me I'd need to drive the car down to as close to 0% as possible and then charge up to 100% and do this for 4 or 5 times.
Another person said it should be down to 29% then charge to 80% and do this for 4 or 5 times.
This is what they call load balancing.

In any event, here is a chart I copied from teslarati.com to show battery degradation.
Tesla battery degradation analysis reveals how long a battery might last

Attachments

• RangeChart.pdf
    150.1 KB · Views: 73
Good to hear they're at least accepting the fact that it is low, now to see if they'll help you out with a new battery..
The funny thing is they kept saying their 'engineers' said it's normal without any real explanations.
When I brought my car in last week, I told I am also an engineer, albeit an old aerospace one, and as far as I am concerned the battery is not normal.
I am getting ready to get to the bottom of this, one way or another.

FWIW 2014 S60 here, 33k miles, my 100% charge is 180-185. I got the same answer you did when I asked about it.
About the same for me, although the car only charges to "99%." May 2014 build with 46k miles. Service said it was due to my charging regimen but when I changed it for awhile it didn't help much. I do see fewer rated miles in winter than in summer, so I assume some of that is because of errors in measuring a cold battery.

I assumed that my battery was down due to more than 169 Supercharging sessions, since most of my miles are road trips, but perhaps that's not it if this is common with older S60s.

2013 60 44k

Attachments

• IMG_01851.jpg
    IMG_01851.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Disagree
Reactions: Snerruc and ACA Man
About the same for me, although the car only charges to "99%." May 2014 build with 46k miles. Service said it was due to my charging regimen but when I changed it for awhile it didn't help much. I do see fewer rated miles in winter than in summer, so I assume some of that is because of errors in measuring a cold battery.

I assumed that my battery was down due to more than 169 Supercharging sessions, since most of my miles are road trips, but perhaps that's not it if this is common with older S60s.
I can understand winter vs summer.

I did exactly as they instructed, albeit 2 different stories by 2 different staff, by charging between 20% and 80% and 1% and 100% for at least 4 or 5 five times. It didn’t help at all.

FWIW 2014 S60 here, 33k miles, my 100% charge is 180-185. I got the same answer you did when I asked about it.

My experience was similar to JonathanD's. I have a 2014 S60 with 27k miles. My 100% rated range was down to 154mi last year. I changed my charging regimen to 85-90% daily (had been 70-75% daily) as Tesla recommended while they repeatedly claimed all was normal with my battery. A year later, 154 miles is now my 85% instead of my 100%, but the rated range hasn't improved for months. Most of the Tesla reps were dismissive and unhelpful throughout the whole experience, which was pretty disappointing.

Best of luck with your arbitration.

My experience was similar to JonathanD's. I have a 2014 S60 with 27k miles. My 100% rated range was down to 154mi last year. I changed my charging regimen to 85-90% daily (had been 70-75% daily) as Tesla recommended while they repeatedly claimed all was normal with my battery. A year later, 154 miles is now my 85% instead of my 100%, but the rated range hasn't improved for months. Most of the Tesla reps were dismissive and unhelpful throughout the whole experience, which was pretty disappointing.

Best of luck with your arbitration.

Thanks.

Hearing set for 5/4.

All the best with the hearing.

It is always a little painful seeing less available miles as time goes on. I switched to view the charge as a percent as opposed to miles in part to avoid seeing the regular degradation.

My MS60 is a '17 with 21K miles. Our batteries aren't the same, however I do feel a little bit of your pain after my loss of nearly 5% in the first year - original 210 miles, now about 199/200 at 100%. Lost the 10 miles over the first 17K miles. Most of the time I charge to 70% at home and only occasionally super charge.

Tesla made it easier to avoid these claims with the Model 3, spelling out that you would have to lose 30% of the battery capacity within the first 100K or 120K miles in order for them to take action. That may be tough to accomplish without abusing the car.

With the Model S and X on the other hand, it's more of a gray area.

When you're too far outside the norm/average, like your battery appears to be, then I would suspect Tesla should be required to make it right. Although Tesla also clearly indicates that they do not warranty battery degradation in any way for the S and X.

Again, good luck!

Reactions: ACA Man
All the best with the hearing.

It is always a little painful seeing less available miles as time goes on. I switched to view the charge as a percent as opposed to miles in part to avoid seeing the regular degradation.

My MS60 is a '17 with 21K miles. Our batteries aren't the same, however I do feel a little bit of your pain after my loss of nearly 5% in the first year - original 210 miles, now about 199/200 at 100%. Lost the 10 miles over the first 17K miles. Most of the time I charge to 70% at home and only occasionally super charge.

Tesla made it easier to avoid these claims with the Model 3, spelling out that you would have to lose 30% of the battery capacity within the first 100K or 120K miles in order for them to take action. That may be tough to accomplish without abusing the car.

With the Model S and X on the other hand, it's more of a gray area.

When you're too far outside the norm/average, like your battery appears to be, then I would suspect Tesla should be required to make it right. Although Tesla also clearly indicates that they do not warranty battery degradation in any way for the S and X.

Again, good luck!

Again, Thank YOU. (-_-)

My guess is, after numerous NDA cases related to MS & MX degradation, Tesla finally came out with that policy regarding M3.

Data point: Jan 14 delivery, 98k, ~178-181RM at 100%. Low 160’s at 90%.

I’m also on my second battery—original was 15% down after 40k or so miles, soon after I complained during a service visit it stopped working at a supercharger. They never gave me my original battery back.

Reactions: ACA Man