Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla Model S 85 - Build Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Current mileage: 47,347

Had to take the MS into Tesla Service Center because the driver side door handle stopped presenting. I was able to put some take on in and manually pull it open. The switch still worked to pop the door. This was very annoying, but the service center took me in first thing this morning and gave me a loaner.

Symptom:
Randomly the driver's door handle stopped presenting. You can hear the motor in the door handle trying to work, growling and clicking.

Solution:
Before taking to the service center, I was able to get strong shipping clear tape around the door handle to "manually" pull it.
1lgnESf.png

A little video of the failure:

Helpful video (Thank you Mark Schey):

Drop off mileage: 47,347
Current mileage: 47,358

Warranty expires: May 2022
Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 (44,101 miles remaining)

Another Service Center Visit. Mainly because the driver side door handle stopped presenting. Overall good. Wish they didn't unplug my dash cam, but understand. Wish the told me they would disconnect it first. I don't like it when they don't communicate. Overall the communication is good, but this time they text me a million times but forgot to mention that they would be disconnecting my dash cam.

Cost: $0 (all under warranty)
============================

Concern: Customer: Front left door handle does not work
Corrections: Handle - Exterior Release - Door - Front - LH - Generation 1.0.
Technician replaced driver's front door handle.

Concern: Customer: Roof shutters while opening
Corrections: Panoramic Roof - Clean and Lubricate.
Technician cleaned and lubricated panoramic roof. Technician installed anti noise washers.

Concern: Customer: Humming noise above 60MPH, shake in steering wheel above 45MPH
Corrections: NO LABOR PERFORMED. Unable to duplicate at this time

Concern: Customer: b-pillar is loose
Corrections: Door Trim General Diagnosis
Technician resecured passenger side B-Pillar

Concern: Customer: wind noise from 1/4 glass above 65MPH
Corrections: Interior NVH General Diagnosis Technician adjusted quarter glass to prevent noise.
Tech performed road test to ensure concern is addressed

Concern: Customer: Only SC at 45-50KW
Corrections: Charge System Inlet General Diagnosis.
Isolated incident at that particular supercharger.

Concern: Customer: look at the Charge Port. It has been taking me 4 to 5 button presses to get it to open when using my home UMC
Corrections: Vehicle Inspection Only; Charge Port Door Replacement Not Required.
Technician tested charge port door opening with various shop cords. Door opened every time when placing cable above door and pressing button

Serviced on 20-Sep-2018:

Drop off mileage: 52,819
Current mileage: 52,833

Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 (38,626 miles remaining)

Another Service Center Visit. This time because I noticed at the last supercharger that the front louvers were not opening. Found broken rear B-pillar on the passenger side. After the last rain storm, water comes out of liftgate handles and moisture in the inner tail lamps. Also noticed some vibration from the rear when accelerating from 60 to 65 mph. All of these issues are minor at best, but since under warranty why take the change.

Concern: Replace Bolts In Steering Rack Housing
Corrections: Replace Bolts In Steering Rack Housing And Apply Wax Sealant (LHD RWD)
Replaced power steering gear motor bolts.

Concern: Customer: Passenger b-pillar trim loose.
Corrections: B' Post Trim Panel - RH
Replaced right hand b pillar trim

Concern: Customer: front louvers not opening
Corrections: Bumper/Fascia General Diagnosis
Ran thermal test. verified front louvers failed.
Corrections: Active Louver - Front Fascia - LH
Replaced Left hand louver.

Concern: Customer: water comes out of lift gate handles, and has seen moisture in the inner
tail lamps
Corrections: Water Ingress General Diagnosis
Water tested, verified water entering in past inner tail lamp seals
Corrections: Lights - Fog/Reverse - Rear - LH/RH
Replaced both rear inner tail lamps.

Concern: Customer: Vibration from rear at 60-65 mph
Corrections: Exterior NVH General Diagnosis
Road tested suspect tire imbalance. will start with balancing tires.
Corrections: Rebalance 4 Tires
Balanced all 4 wheels. all 4 out of balance. Also the Technician noted that one of the
Rims is bent and he recommends replacement. Customer declined replacement rim.

Serviced on 14-Nov-2018:

Drop off mileage: 57,304
Current mileage: 57,304

Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 - current mileage = 34,158 miles remaining

On Nov 12th the driver rear door handle stopped working. At first thought it was just the Paddle Gear, but later discovered the sensor went bad too. Emailed my local Tesla Service center the same night, and they said they can send someone out. They Tesla Mobile Service Technical Tyler came out on Nov 14th and resolved the issue and provided some well needed knowledge on the disassembly of the door handle. Tyler was super professional but also chill. He told me about the new Paddle Gear used and also recommended I keep my gen 1 door handles as they new gen 2 handles in his opinion are not as good because when they go bad you have to shell $600+ to replace vs gen 1 which you can replace parts...saving you lots of money. This is great food for thought before my warranty runs out. By the way the service was 100% free. They came out and replaced the Paddle gear and sensor for free.

Concern: Customer: Driver's rear door handle does not present.
Corrections: Handle - Rear Door - Exterior Release - LH - Dismantle and Rebuild
Replaced MIcroswitch assembly and Paddle gear. Reinstalled and tested operation. Concern did not return following repairs. No further work required at this time.

jSYGhfA.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: mambro
Serviced on 17-Nov-2018:

Drop off mileage: 57,422
Current mileage: 57,422

Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 - current mileage = 34,037 miles remaining

On Nov 15th it snowed a lot here and my RWD MS 85 was a little fun to drive in the wet snow on summer tires. I had already purchased and preped my snow tires, but I just couldn't find anyone to install them all week. Contact Tesla service on Nov 10th to get the door handles and tires mounted, and they booked me to come by the weekend Nov 17th. I really like Ownings Mills Tesla Service center now. They really take care of me. I had to give a big THANK YOU to them even with the issues I had in the beginning they do take care of me well.

Tesla service center removed my old 245/45R-19 Michelin Pilot Sport 3 Summer tires and then mounted my new 245/45R-19 Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3. I kept the old tires.

Cost: $125.00 (Not covered under warranty)

Concern: Customer: mount snow tires
Corrections: Tires - Vehicle - Set
Technician replaced all 4 tires with customer-provided tires.Technician placed summer tires in trunk

Db2GAeh.jpg

BCOlGB6.jpg

OLD TIRES:
After at least 20,000 miles (purchased used so probably more miles). I call this a win, because they are still good tires for summer driving. Saved the tires so I can possibly take the car to the track next summer and thrash them.
yk1lY7Y.jpg

At8FigE.jpg

kVvGuQZ.jpg

4IQjynK.jpg

YSgkw5q.jpg

XiZC6dM.jpg

LVaYkG2.jpg

q1X3BnF.jpg

j028vdL.jpg

ZsYw0RN.jpg

HfYFIL2.jpg

gM9iurs.jpg

OLD TIRES:
After at least 20,000 miles (purchased used so probably more miles). I call this a win, because they are still good tires for summer driving. Saved the tires so I can possibly take the car to the track next summer and thrash them.
Wow! 20K miles and there’s THAT much tread still??? On Pilots Sports at that! :eek:
Granted, I have 20s and a P85D, but my rear Falkens are basically done at 16K miles.

Doanster1, I was surprised too. I will be honest, I have rotated them at least twice in that time. So definitely rotate your tires or prepare to spend a lot of money on tires
Staggered 20s so no rotation possible. Even with your religious rotation, the tire has a 320 treadwear rating so not exactly up there, so you must definitely take care of them driving wise. Good job.

Reactions: xAgyex
Staggered 20s so no rotation possible. Even with your religious rotation, the tire has a 320 treadwear rating so not exactly up there, so you must definitely take care of them driving wise. Good job.

Doanster1, thanks. I try to stay in CHILL mode most of the time unless showing of the cars power. I definitely don't drive it hard. Im old now and pass the boy racer phase of my life...that was a bad joke.

Reactions: Doanster1
So back before I owned my Model S I purchased some parts for it...in preparation to get it. I had purhcased a 2015 Thule Roof Rack thinking it would be a bolt in, but since I ended up getting a 2014 MS85, well I had to get the mount point kit. I finally did that this past weekend. Ordered the kit from Amazon, and it was a simple install.

$380 - Thule 7603B and 7604B bars - (for 2012 to 2015 Tesla Model S)
$116 - Thule Roof Rack Fit Kits 3130 - (for 2012 to 2014 Tesla Model S)

Great video that helped me out.

Sc4ezjV.jpg

4cNUgjt.jpg

Serviced on 28-Nov-2018:

Drop off mileage: 58,043.5
Current mileage: 58,043.6

Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 - current mileage = 33,416 miles remaining

Had to take my MS85 in for service after receiving the dreaded 12v battery replacement warning. I called road side and they stated I have about 2 weeks before it completely dies, but recommended I just drive to the nearest Service Center as it shouldn't take long to replace. I was able to get it in the next morning (less than 24 hours of getting the warning). Owings Mills Service Center took me in and took care of it for me in about 1 hour. While there I asked if I can see the location and the tech showed me and explained how to do this job when I am out of warranty, as they expect that most older MS will need battery changed every 2 to 4 years, depending on how much you drive and over use the 12v battery. I asked about lithium 12v replacement, and they stated they can not do it for me, but I can definitely do it on my own if I want.

The Service Center also told me that I needed the latest "Navigation Software Update". This update really was nice. I basically had been complaining after noticing that when I got into other Model S' that were even older than my, they had crip looking navigation in the dash, and my looked almost pixelated. This update fixed that for me, and it is so much clearer and

Concern: 12V alert
Corrections: Technician replaced 12V battery
Battery - Auxiliary - 12V - 1st Generation
(Dual Motor)

Concern: Navigation Software Update
Corrections: Technician updated navigation software.
Navigation Software Updated To Latest Version

Here are some pictures:

jvMziht.jpg

QOII0vq.jpg

p2IyU2O.jpg

Th2I0h1.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Today I clocked 60,000 miles. Its crazy how much we drive our Tesla Model S. Its just been an amazing vehicle. I hope it keeps being amazing, but I will have to slow down as to not run out of warranty too quickly.

Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 - current mileage = 31,459 miles remaining

9MSyH7R.jpg

No, I've got a pre-AP P85+. I bought it high miles via a local dealer who buys from a Tesla auction in California. Just pulled up the phone app... it currently has 81,888 on the clock. :)

Nice. You probably got a great deal. I hope these cars last a long time. Looks like many going to 150,000+ miles with minimal issues (where most important issues were able to be addressed under warranty).

Over the past weekend I was driving and go a random message "Car Needs Service. Car May Not Restart". Very strange. My Model S worked like a charm still. Was on for about 5 minutes then went away. I didnt think much of it. So called Service Center, and they pulled logs and said "It could be the Battery Heater, if it goes out you will need a tow to the service center. Bring in the car asap." So ok no sweat, I scheduled an appointment.

Dropped the car off the next Wednesday, and later that day got a text stating that I need a new Drive Unit. I was like wow. really? Ok well its covered under warranty so ok. But that got me thinking, isn't it a bit crazy that I had not drive unit issues, never heard a peep, or even a buzz, my energy usages had gone from average 350 to about 450, but hey its winter and I use the heater all the time. So not complaining but very strange.

I share this to you all, so that you take it serious when you see that warning too. Good luck. I will update you all when I pick up my car. I got a loaner MS70D so not complaining at all.

Current mileage: 60,304
Warranty expires at mileage: 41,459 + 50,000 = 91,459 - current mileage = 31,155 miles remaining

1VYAlrH.png

qzHBeTU.jpg

• Helpful