Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 Tesla Model S P90++ - UNIQUE: Most powerful RWD Tesla in the world

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly, the most powerful is the P100D. Rear wheel drive cars just can't stay with the P90D and P100D all wheel drives. Just a little correction the last RWD was the S75 and is still in final production, although ordering has now stopped the last faster ones are still being built and are about the same speed as the S90D, S100D and the origional RWD P85.

P100DLs can't, but the yellow car can, do this:

and probably better than any other car out there.

Reactions: wk057
It is theoretically possible that I could increase the acceleration of this car significantly... perhaps matching or maybe even beyond performance of a P100D. The limiting factor of this particular car: max torque.

650 Nm is the most torque possible to output with Tesla's firmware as it stands. So in the P90++ the whole system is torque limited until about 50 MPH. Torque remains at a constant 650 Nm until then. Then, the system is current limited at a bit over 1400A. Then, the inverter becomes thermal limited after a short time and tapers current.

Interestingly, this car's improvement in 0-60 time vs the P85 is almost entirely due to the higher max sustained torque (650 vs 600 Nm IIRC), and that it can sustain max torque for over a full second longer than the P85 due to the higher current limit.

Overall, though, the torque limited period is the longest, lasting about 2.6 seconds after a launch. Torque ramp from 0 to 650 Nm only takes about 0.15 seconds... which shows that better tires wont really help me significantly. Interestingly enough, torque is at full before the car travels past the 1-ft rollout mark.

Now, I can up the torque... but the consequences of doing so would likely be damaging. Sustaining 650 Nm for several seconds is already a pretty significant strain on the system, but within reasonable limits. If I bump it more then we're looking at damaging or otherwise accelerating wear on the axles, hubs, differential, and possibly even the rotor spline.

*shrugs*

Wouldn't increasing the torque limit in the firmware .hex files involve bypassing Tesla's code signing? You say this vehicle has 8.0 so it has the code signing check on the gateway.

Ah, yes, it normally would, wouldn't it?

Actually, there is a good reason why this car is still running v8.0 (103.53.1): This is the only version of 8.0 that does NOT have the module code signing, but still has all of 8.0's features. It was the final Early Access Program release of 8.0 just prior to the full release. The differences ended up being that they changed the icons on the top again, and this version still has beta blinker-to-exit functionality for freeway use in autopilot that they never actually released (rightfully so, it's crazy). But it is 8.0 without module code signing, hence why I can modify things more easily still.

... Not sure who actually takes their cars drifting anyway.
Neither do I. However, that video alone is proof that some people do. If you're one of those few, you might be interested in this car - at or near his asking price. It is not advertised to be the fastest Tesla. It's advertised exactly as it is; the most powerful RWD Tesla in the world.

I don't know why anyone would spend thousands on an artifact that someone famous once owned, but people do. Likewise, there is market for this one-of-a-kind car; albeit a small one. Just wish wk057 good luck.

Reactions: davidc18 and Pollux