Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2014 with twin chargers. Max charging wattage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your dual charger set up has no impact on supercharging. A supercharger bypasses the internal dual chargers. So a dual charger and a single charger model S have the same supercharger capability. Dual charging is only useful on 240 volt alternating current charging at home. That is a 100 amp breaker and a wall charger capable of delivering 80 A.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
You were charging at a normal rate for a 2014 model S. There have been software upgrades which have improved model S charging speeds, but I believe they are for later models only. Perhaps another 2014 owner can confirm this. Bottom line your charging rates are normal.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Got it. It's odd because every supercharger I go to does maybe 30% of its charging speed

72kw I only get 25kw
150kw only 80kw
250kw only 110kw

Any thoughts. Maybe 1 or 2 other cars charging as well.
There are multiple factors that limit your maximum charge rate. Entire threads have been written about this, so searching will give you lots of opinions.

My summary:

AC charging is limited to the lowest of:
• your Wall Connector's max setting, further limited by the temperature of your WC (if its overheating)
• the quality of your AC power (if it fluctuates or droops voltage it will throttle back)
• amount of charge in your car (tapers off as you near full charge)
• the condition of your mobile charger cord and adapter.

DC (supercharging) is limited based on:
• your battery's charge state (fastest when about 1/3 full, slowest above 2/3)
• power sharing: how many others are charging, and how the power cabinets are shared
• condition (age?) of your battery, this will slow down as your battery ages it appears
• model and battery size (older S75 and S85s charge slower in all cases than new 100D or LR3 and LRY
• temperature is a big factor (too hot - desert or too cold -winter)

Hope this helps.