Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2015 85D, 245 miles at 100% - normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
Charged to 100% for the first time in about a year and max was 245. Ran it down to about 30 miles and again charged to 100% and it's still 245. IIRC, the car charged to 272 when new and maybe 260ish a year ago.

Is this normal degradation, some software-induced throttling, or something else? I'm the original owner, rarely supercharge (a few times/year), and usually charge to 78% at home to keep the pump from running constantly.
Thanks.

Charged to 100% for the first time in about a year and max was 245. Ran it down to about 30 miles and again charged to 100% and it's still 245. IIRC, the car charged to 272 when new and maybe 260ish a year ago.

Is this normal degradation, some software-induced throttling, or something else? I'm the original owner, rarely supercharge (a few times/year), and usually charge to 78% at home to keep the pump from running constantly.
Thanks.
My 2015 85D still gets around 262 at 100%. I charge to 90% at home and get 237 which is 3 miles lower than the 240 I used to get.

I have a 2014 S85, so I was starting to roll my eyes, but remembered that the 85D did have a tiny bit higher efficiency, so showed a little more rated miles. Mine was 265 officially when new, and I think now shows about 252 or so. There is going to be some loss in batteries that are 6 or 7 years old.

Reactions: WhiteWi
2017 85D, 78k miles. I keep mine on % and rarely charge to 100, but my projected range as read by TeslaMate averages at 265.74. So your 245 is a little lower, but I’d be more worried if you saw some kind of rapid shift or change in trend. And yeah, Tesla would tell you it’s “within spec”.

2017 85D, 78k miles. I keep mine on % and rarely charge to 100, but my projected range as read by TeslaMate averages at 265.74. So your 245 is a little lower, but I’d be more worried if you saw some kind of rapid shift or change in trend. And yeah, Tesla would tell you it’s “within spec”.
To be honest, I'm not sure if the max capacity was sudden or gradual. I haven't paid much attention to it, as most of my driving is local and I simply plug in when I get back home. It's possible that there was a sudden drop of 10-15 miles and I just recently noticed it.

One thing I noticed after charging to 100% last week was when I started driving, there was still some regen. It wasn't completely disabled, as had been the case when I last charged to 100% a year or so ago. This makes me think there is still some "reserve" in the battery that isn't being reflected in the on-screen numbers.

Is there any point to do another one or two bottom-to-top charge cycling?
Might there be a bank of cells that got diszbled for some reason? If so, how can I determine that?

I'm also in a 2015 85D and charge to 75% to avoid battery pump; you are in a slightly better position than me - my 100% is 241 (with actual 100% range, based on a June roadtrip, being about 230-235 miles).

My 2015 85D Model S with 31K miles still gets 264-266 when fully charged (rated)
My 2017 75D Model S with 59K miles gets just 232 miles when fully charged (rated)

So less than 2% range loss on the 85D but over 10% loss on the 75D. I see a lot of people with range in the low 230s and high 220s with 75D, so I know such degradation seems to be common. The strange thing is that the rated range on my 85D has gone up since I bought it and I use the free Supercharging pretty often. Hmm.

My 2012 pack was down to 225. I got re manufactured pack in November .. that day it was set at 225. I don't know about new cars. But I think all 85 cars were throttled back to get us out of warranty. I asked about new 90 pack? He said that all replacement packs would be re manufactured from now on. I asked about warranty on my new pack?? He said there is none. Not sure if there is or will ever be any solution for our antiques?
I heard there was a shop in Phoenix that will repair our packs so we don't have to pay $22k for re manufactured pack. But u would have to trailer your car there to get it repaired.

seems about right. i charged mine to 100% a while back and changed it over to miles and it says 240 so for a P85D that's not bad. However it only charges to 68kWh which is about 12% loss from factory of 77.5kWh. but i took it to tesla for a battery diag and they ran several tests on it and it comes out as ok so its fine as they say.